• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 29, 2017
"It was a very, very radical shoot," the director continued. "I was a little shocked to realize how conservative people are when it comes to cinematography. If you expose the image in a certain way, or if you use certain luminance ranges, people get up in arms."

dr38Dmv.jpg

jNGTzGR.jpg
Lol

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Interstellar didn't bug me but others did. He should listen to people. He's wrong.

Grifter

Oct 26, 2017
My man's going in on conservative behavior while refusing to move on from film and theatre releases

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
"It was a very, very radical shoot," the director continued. "I was a little shocked to realize how conservative people are when it comes to cinematography. If you expose the image in a certain way, or if you use certain luminance ranges, people get up in arms."

dr38Dmv.jpg

jNGTzGR.jpg
this is what i immediately thought about too

or leaving part of the lens cap on

just because. some people might be conservative like that, but im making *checks notes* major studio blockbusters meant to be enjoyed by the most people possible

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
www.indiewire.com

Christopher Nolan Says Fellow Directors Have Called to Complain About His ‘Inaudible’ Sound

The backlash over "Interstellar" sound left Nolan "a little shocked" at how "conservative people are when it comes to sound."

I just thought it was funny directors actually called him up to complain lol. I'm guessing they didn't like Tenet any better! Personally, there must be something wrong with Nolan's hearing. Seems the sound mix in his moves just keeps getting worse.

I remember hearing something about Michael Mann butting heads with people over the sound mixing process years ago because his hearing had gotten bad but he wouldn't accept it... I don't know if that was ever confirmed beyond rumors.

Oct 27, 2017
i'm sure he's mixing for the optimal IMAX experience, but that's not good mixing. with music, you mix with multiple pairs of monitors so that you can sound good through many different systems. it can still sound fantastic at the top end, but you can't write off people that want to watch at home without their neighbors throwing molotovs through their window (especially these days)

Shoe

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't seen Tenet yet, but Michael Caine's death scene in Interstellar is probably the single most unintelligible thing I've heard in a movie, and that's got some stiff competition from other Nolan movies, Gordon in the hospital in TDKR comes to mind. It worked for the chaos in Dunkirk, but it really needs to get toned down elsewhere.

Jul 18, 2018
This man definitely has a big ass ego. Can't even take criticism well and wants everything his way because he thinks he is preserving the cinema experience.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's definitely a modern problem in films/TV, and Nolan is far from the only one. I don't think his films are nearly as bad as most of the stuff made for Netflix for example.

I don't understand folks saying the Lighthouse was mixed poorly, I just rewatched it and thought the mixing was great for what they're going for.

Aselith

Oct 27, 2017
I will add my voice to theirs although Nolan's helped with the sound mixing so you won't be able to hear me

Mistle

Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
haven't seen tenet but i've never had trouble hearing the dialogue in interstellar. i actually love how loud he makes the soundtrack in that movie, it wouldn't be the same if it was pushed into the background

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
He really needs to fix it in his films. I can't ever understand anything (and I found out recently that there are two versions of what bane sounds like which is crazy, cause one is really way better)

Pancho

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
Finding out about how much of an insufferable snob Nolan is has made me retroactively dislike all of his movies.

Luckett_X

Oct 25, 2017
Leeds, UK
The fact directors actually took some time out of their day and tried to subtly guide and help him improve his dreadful approach to audio mixing and he's just... doubled down instead is a truly special type of Stupid.

Skunk

Oct 28, 2017
Almost of his films have been this way, I've mentioned this before here but I completely missed the revelation that Ducard was Ra's in Batman Begins in theatres. I think it's only mentioned like once or twice in the dialog and I didn't make it out at all.

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
I can appreciate him trying to get experimental with audio. People probably had the same complaints about Robert Altman's overlapping dialogue. But the weird part is how his movies are so expositional, it makes less sense to fuck with the dialogue.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
I remember (having the misfortune of) seeing TDKR twice in theatres. The audio was fine the first time around, but the second time at a different theatre, it was all messed up whenever the soundtrack was prominent.

The scene with JGL's Blake outside the school bus yelling to the cops across the bridge, his dialogue was completely inaudible, and it was like he was trying to yell over the music. It was hilarious

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Wow guys, wanting to hear the dialogue in the movie, how about you drop your preconceived notions and just let daddy tell you what you want.

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
He seems like a weird dude. I liked the prestige and Batman begins and have seen a few of his other films but it sort of surprises me that he is so well regarded.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
It's not a "bold, innovative creative decision." It's poor sound mixing. Fix it, stop defending it, it's not working.

Muitnorts

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
He kind of just sounds like an idiot here. If he thinks it's some radical bold move to have music drown out dialogue then fine just make a film without dialogue. But he can't because laboured exposition is the only way he knows to convey story.

The difference between filming on a phone and people not being able to understand his characters is obvious to absolutely everyone except Nolan himself apparently.

At one point I'd have probably called myself a Nolan fan, he's made some really cool movies. But he seems unwilling to waver from his vision even when it would definitely improve his films. Also Tenet was absolute dogshit.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
I can't even get the experience that Nolan wants to thrust upon people. His movies in a cinema are a short path to early hearing loss and you can barely understand lines of dialog.

I'd rather watch it at home where I can control the audio mix to workaround his lack of conservative film making. He makes good films but he needs to stop sniffing his own farts.

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Here's the thing, Chris. People like to hear what the fuck other people are saying.

Hecht

Blue light comes around
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
I wonder if Nolan did the original audio mix from FFXV. I remember towards the end when the villain is giving Noctis very important backstory and you couldn't hear a damn thing over the music.
Thankfully they fixed it.

Sensei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
watching movies for me these days is a war of attrition that involves me turning the volume up and down depending on the scenes until i get fed up and turn on the subtitles. subs are fine but i'd love the be able to hear the way the actors are speaking