• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Like, flatly, my problem with Nolan is his selfish bullshit and folks acting like his being rewarded for it is a good thing

Warner gave him everthing he wanted for Tenet, right down to restricting drive-in showings in the middle of a pandemic.

He then throws a tantrum because they decided to stream movies in 2021, a decision which didn't even effect him, and which even the directors it did effect, including the ones who were initially upset, all seem to have walked away from happy.

This isn't about creators' rights. It's about Nolan's ego.
👏👏👏

J 0 E

Oct 27, 2017
Christopher Nolan's movies are great cinema. Congrats to Universal, I guess.
And can't wait.

Jun 26, 2021
I really enjoyed Interstellar. It was a magical experience that literally transported me into his world. Dunkirk and Tenet, both, left me feeling completely flat. Is it just me or does he cut cameras/angles too much? I feel like I'm watching a montage of events sometimes. The audio mixing left me fatigued as well. I felt no emotions at all while watching either of them. What has the disconnect been? Am I just growing out his style of filmmaking? Has it always been this way? I can go back and watch something like Dark Knight now and see, yes, he does chop up his scenes erratically. The audio mix has always been big and boisterous. So why did I love those older movies so much...?

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wikipedia might get you a more accurate list.

Imagine Wikipedia being the arbiter of truth!

On this list:
#14 -- Inception
#25 -- Interstellar

The movies in the top #40 that aren't based on existing IP:

#1 -- Avatar
#17 -- Independence Day
#18 -- E.T. The Extra Terrestrial
#19 -- Star Wars
#22 -- Gravity
#38 -- Armageddon
#39 -- The Day After Tomorrow

You might have noticed Hi, Mom isn't on the list anymore. I assume it's just tough to know when to label a movie sci-fi or not. Why isn't Harry Potter sci-fi? Or The Avengers? But whatever, my point still stands. Not many original movies can make bank like Nolan's offerings at the box office.

J 0 E

Oct 27, 2017
Regarding the subject matter being a biopic around this Oppenheimer dude, I think it could be a grounded visceral experience like the mini series Chernobyl but condensed into a movie. Especially with this rather conservative budget of $100 million.
My only concern is if Nolan will blow up a real A bomb as I know his distaste to special effects lol.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
+ Tenet: 363 million

TDKR came out 2012, that's what I'm talking about when I say "in probably a decade", anyway seems obvious his movies have been losing box office power slowly over the years.
Tenet made 363 million in a pandemic when the biggest theater markets in the US were all closed.

kIdMuScLe

Oct 27, 2017
Los angeles
Seems greedy and arrogant honestly. That's one way to put me off seeing his film I guess.

oh no! Would someone think of the poor studios?! Now they are gonna be this much rich…. Dude what's wrong with him getting that deal from an employer? Would you be fine if your employer was taking in all the profits and not sharing it with you? Is a pretty dumb take

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Regarding the subject matter being a biopic around this Oppenheimer dude, I think it could be a grounded visceral experience like the mini series Chernobyl but condensed into a movie. Especially with this rather conservative budget of $100 million.
My only concern is if Nolan will blow up a real A bomb as I know his distaste to special effects lol.
Can't wait for the threads calling him a murderer after he exposes his cast and crew to a real a bomb

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Chad energy and great to see him get creative control, even if I think his output post-Inception is maybe one of the biggest fall from graces I've ever seen of any director.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
$100m makes sense for sort of an autobiographical. But oof, those demands are big dick energy. Even James Cameron would shy away.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
$100m makes sense for sort of an autobiographical. But oof, those demands are big dick energy. Even James Cameron would shy away.
You think James Cameron doesn't have full creative control? He probably doesn't need to ask for the 3 week block though because the studios will do that willingly.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Even if a studio wants to bend over backwards for this guy the most they should give him is control over everything EXCEPT the audio mix

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
i know this place has hate boner for the dude, but comparing box office receipts from a fucking batman film to his recent films, most of which are completely original IPs is just pathetic

Antiax

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think his requirements are anything out of the ordinary for a top director like him.

Red Comet

Jan 6, 2018
I mean, he's one of the few directors whose movies I'll actually go out of my way to see, so more power to him.

DMczaf

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas, NV
www.history.com

“Father of the Atomic Bomb” Was Blacklisted for Opposing H-Bomb

After creating the first one, J. Robert Oppenheimer called for international controls on nuclear weapons.

After the war, Oppenheimer took steps to prevent such a future. He began working with the U.S. Atomic Energy Commission to control the use of nuclear weapons. In 1949, when Truman approached the commission about creating a hydrogen bomb, Oppenheimer opposed it.

Despite his opposition, the U.S. developed an H-bomb and tested it in 1952. But Oppenheimer's resistance ended up costing him his job. During the McCarthy era, the government stripped him of his job with the commission, citing his opposition to the hydrogen bomb as well as his purported Communist ties.

Oppenheimer's blacklisting had more to do with his stance on the H-bomb than his Communist friends. Still, it created a scandal that followed him until his death in 1967. For decades afterwards, people continued to speculate about whether he was a Soviet spy.

This could go places for a $100M film.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
That Oppenheimer film sounds interesting but I'm not sure why it'd need to have a $100 million dollar budget? Unless they're planning on showing in detail what the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombings were like, which, admittedly would be a pretty justifiable use of the budget for the story.

DMczaf

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas, NV
That Oppenheimer film sounds interesting but I'm not sure why it'd need to have a $100 million dollar budget? Unless they're planning on showing in detail what the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombings were like, which, admittedly would be a pretty justifiable use of the budget for the story.

Honestly, I think you need to show it in a way to show why this was such a terrible project. No idea how you do it to shock and scare people, but I think based on that extra part of the plot I feel like they have a way to show how horrific an Atomic Bomb is without making it look "cool"

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Have people even here even seen the review metrics for Tenet?

People make it seem like it was some huge disaster. It got solid scores across the board. If that is by far your worst movie, then you are doing pretty damn well.
Some on here fancy themselves film critics. Whatever score they gave a movie is all that matters. Regardless of actual critic and fan scores.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Honestly, I think you need to show it in a way to show why this was such a terrible project. No idea how you do it to shock and scare people, but I think based on that extra part of the plot I feel like they have a way to show how horrific an Atomic Bomb is without making it look "cool"

Just look at the bombing sequence from "Barefoot Gen" as a touchstone and I think it's doable. That in live action + recreations of all the awful pictures and videos taken after the bombing (and drawings of survivors from the Peace Museum) could give audiences nightmares, assuming Nolan wants to. I'm not sure how much of it Oppenheimer was privy to, in terms of how to best get those things into the film, but it's likely worth it.

Darkwing-Buck

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I didn't truly understand Tenet, but I definitely had a good time watching it.

This seems like a no-brainer for other studios considering his movies are of the non-superhero genre and seem to always make money.

Like others said, he's really good at staying on/below budget and $100mill is peanuts for a hollywood blockbuster.

Last edited:

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
Does he even release movies anymore?

Also where's my true lies, abyss and proper t2 on 4k?
He has 2 films in the can and another 2 that have already gone through pre-production. Who knew making 4 films simultaneously would take a long time?

Anyway, Cameron definitely has more pull than Nolan. He made Fox of all studios wait so long for a sequel to the highest grossing film of all time that they no longer exist.

DMczaf

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas, NV
Just look at the bombing sequence from "Barefoot Gen" as a touchstone and I think it's doable. That in live action + recreations of all the awful pictures and videos taken after the bombing (and drawings of survivors from the Peace Museum) could give audiences nightmares, assuming Nolan wants to. I'm not sure how much of it Oppenheimer was privy to, in terms of how to best get those things into the film, but it's likely worth it.

Based on his quotes from receiving a gift from Robert Pattinson about Oppenheimer's quote, and the Variety plot extra description... this will be VERY against this project, and also look into the people (specifically Oppenheimer) when it was real.

Probably my theory is like WAY WRONG, but feels like The Prestige in terms of obsession over a project, until you see it was not right and realized "Oh no, I was wrong... no... no..."

OP
OP
jett

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Period pieces are usually not cheap. Drama pieces from top tier directors aren't, either. Look at some of Tarantino's and Scorsese's recent movies, they're all in that ballpark.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
He has 2 films in the can and another 2 that have already gone through pre-production. Who knew making 4 films simultaneously would take a long time?

Anyway, Cameron definitely has more pull than Nolan. He made Fox of all studios wait so long for a sequel to the highest grossing film of all time that they no longer exist.
I said release. And Nolan has released 4 or 5 movies since avatar came out. Check mate.

DMczaf

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas, NV
Cameron in the last 20+ years likes to do long term projects while Nolan does 2-3 year long projects.

There's really no right or wrong way to do it, as long as it's the project they want to do in their way.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I mean…he's Nolan
Nowadays he is top tier along Spilberg, Tarantino, Denis Villeneuve etc etc etc. Execs will end up giving what he wants

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
I said release. And Nolan has released 4 or 5 movies since avatar came out. Check mate.
That's not really a barometer of industry pull.

In fact, I'd say having a studio pouring $1b+ into a production that hasn't released since the original film 12 years ago is probably a bigger example of throwing around your weight.

Gin

May 2, 2018
Tenet was trash - he doesnt deserve this.
If anything, people need to critique his movies more before they get released.

DMczaf

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas, NV
Still shocked that people want to see films that are edited by studios that are scared of anything that are out of their box just because "they financed it, they should remove and change things to make sure they get what they want, which is something that made money previously. We don't need new ideas"

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Still shocked that people want to see films that are edited by studios that are scared of anything that are out of their box just because "they financed it, they should remove and change things to make sure they get what they want, which is something that made money previously. We don't need new ideas"
Are you reaaaaally shocked though?