• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I know he's a fan of F&F but I highly doubt he'd actually direct one. Jurassic Park doesn't seem like an IP he'd be interested in as well. What other IP's do Universal have?
That's been Universal's issue for years. Besides F&F and JP, they really don't have a ton of huge adult franchises under their belt. However, they have been making some inroads with Nintendo...

Christopher Nolan's Metroid? Is that anything?

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Lol good on him for getting that money. I don't think his films are worth all of what he is asking despite enjoying everything up to Interstellar, but hey, get that dough

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit, I don't really understand why people are so upset at the 100 day window. If you are uninterested in seeing it in theaters it will be there after 100 days. As others have said, if this is to be an Oscar contender in 2023 or so then a fall release makes sense. Those movies tend to have long legs that fluctuate heavily as late December/January come into play.

He has the power to get these demands and he used that power to secure these demands. He isn't holding the audience hostage and forcing them to bend to his will. You think we would be okay with a creator having some control over his work.

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nolan isn't doing those kinds of franchise IP. Universal signed him because he effectively IS the IP.

That's my feeling too. The point of recognizable IP is that you can get attention regardless of the quality of the movie just because people have heard of it. Nolan's movies accomplish the same thing, so even though he could probably make a better and slightly more successful movie based on IP, it makes more financial success to release a movie with established IP by a cheaper director and make bank with a new Nolan movie.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm interested in what he does but can't say I've enjoyed his last three films with Tenet being the worst easily. He still has the knack to make blockbusters that aren't the usual or overly bombastic so it's good he is still around but I hope his next films are better and for the love of god, the sound, he can't even admit there is an issue which is just laughable. His films are not without very obvious faults and he keeps repeating them, people aren't knocking him for no reason, maybe overly harshly but if he makes another film with a bad script, exposition overload and bad sound mixing, he deserves the flak.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit, I don't really understand why people are so upset at the 100 day window. If you are uninterested in seeing it in theaters it will be there after 100 days. As others have said, if this is to be an Oscar contender in 2023 or so then a fall release makes sense. Those movies tend to have long legs that fluctuate heavily as late December/January come into play.

He has the power to get these demands and he used that power to secure these demands. He isn't holding the audience hostage and forcing them to bend to his will. You think we would be okay with a creator having some control over his work.

He's doing it because he wants to try and get the people who want to just watch at home into theaters. He's been one of the directors very vocal about not wanting people to watch movies at home.

Oct 27, 2017
Confusing movie = / = bad movie. I've seen several of his films...Memento, Prestige, Interstellar, Inception might be my favorite. Personally though I don't always like his directorial choices. He got away with whitewashing twice in his Batman trilogy and largely no one really seemed to care.

I love going to the movies and I miss it. I went for Black Widow, went for Shang Chi, and I'll go again for Venom 2. I missed the bulk of the discussion about Tenet last year but it seemed like Nolan was really pushing to keep a theatrical release of it

Yeah maybe it's a product of the times but that shit would (or at least should) absolutely not fly today. Makes it hard to go back to Batman Begins and Dark Knight Rises.

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
He's doing it because he wants to try and get the people who want to just watch at home into theaters. He's been one of the directors very vocal about not wanting people to watch movies at home.
Well, he has a preference for people to experience his movies on the big screen, that's not some secret. He is more than okay with people eventually watching them at home surely, but to him the theaters are an integral part to the work he's making. He's hardly alone there.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
you can always watch it at home after the 100 days. its only a few months. and with how many people dislike Nolan around here why even care? lol

looking forward to checking this out, he tends to be flashy and that worked really well for all the blockbusters he made but I wonder how his post-Batman style will translate to a film like this. hopefully he can pare it down for the more dramatic moments, would be cool to get a really well done atom bomb test sequence scene tho.

Aiqops

Aug 3, 2021
What's this about disastrous Tenet? I loved that movie.

Same.

b27c0421ad991c98ea2d9f460ca9336b.gif

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised he didn't ask for a bigger budget. $100M isn't even that much for a big movie. Basically the same as Dunkirk I think.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Tenet did better globally that every Hollywood 2021 release so far except Godzilla vs Kong, Black Widow, and F9.
Oh I meant just overseas gross, not overall global. Though Tenet's overall is less than 10m behind BW, which is kinda wild.

I really wonder what franchise Nolan would be willing to take over at this point, that wouldn't feel like a step down for him. Doing his own Bond would have made sense (since he's clearly wanted to make one forever) - but now that timing doesn't really work.
The timing would've actually been perfect now, since it seemed like he'd want to do Bond when they were ready to reboot it again and, well, that's right now lol. But there were rumors that Eon was talking to Fukunaga about directing Bond 26 as well, so maybe there isn't an opening. Or maybe after Inception and Tenet Nolan's had his fill of spy movies.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
For an Oppenheimer biopic?? Eeh. This feels like something Tom Hanks could do/star and for half the price.

Nolan's good I guess; definitely someone sniffing their own farts.

....Just tell me they're gonna get a good audio editor this time.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The first atomic bomb test scene is going to be insane in IMAX. Knowing Nolan he will probably try and have someone talking during it and be completely inaudible

Doran

Jun 9, 2018
Like, he has made some of my favorite movies, but he also makes movies that wouldn't hold up at all if they didn't have insane budgets or his name attached. Visual feasts that are full of nonsense. My personal opinion. I love Insomnia, The Prestige, and The Dark Knight though. I was one of those people who "just didn't understand" Inception.

LifeLine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do you genuinely not get how releasing other movies within a few weeks could potentially hurt ticket sales?

If it's the same studio why would they cannablize their own movie, more likely they would put counter-programming like kids movies in those weeks. Now it's just a blank slate for other studios to put their blockbusters in, which would actually compete with his movie.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah maybe it's a product of the times but that shit would (or at least should) absolutely not fly today. Makes it hard to go back to Batman Begins and Dark Knight Rises.
true, but it wasn't all that long ago. those movies came out in 2005 and 2012 respectively, and within the last twenty years or so there were several other movies that came out which were criticized for this. The Last Airbender is the first that comes to mind and that was 2010.

I think there just wasn't a fan base big enough for those characters to be upset about it. Hell, Bane was whitewashed again in 2019.

Last edited:

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
fuck off with theatrical windows in a pandemic

you shouldn't punish people for the crime of *checks notes* want to be safe about covid

First, having to wait a couple months for a movie to be available on streaming isn't "punishing" people. You'll be fine.

Second, this movie isn't coming out for at least two years and we have a vaccine available today. If you don't feel comfortable going to a theater yet for your own personal reasons, that's an understandable choice. But the simple truth is that most people who are vaccinated can go to the theater now and they will be fine.

COVID isn't going away. If you want to wait until there is a higher vaccination rate, that's completely fine. But you're not being "punished" by having to wait a couple months for a movie to be on a streaming service.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
How come when he does it he gets what he wants, but when I do it I get forcibly removed from the property? Like, how is that fair?

ArchStanton

Oct 29, 2017
This isn't accurate. Basically, he's mad that every other filmmaker WB worked with for 2021 films didn't get the deal Jenkins got. She got notified & negotiated ahead of time to release her film on streaming. Everyone else basically got told 'this is happening, deal with it.'. Unsurprisingly, he wasn't crazy eager to maintain a working relationship with them.

Jason Kilar's call as CEO of WarnerMedia is what led to this situation. And Kilar's ass is looking for a way out once the Discovery takeover happens, methinks.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
What's up with this weird disdain towards Nolan, the man delivers quality movies in a timely fashion and usually at or under budget? lol

Dude's a draw though, he should definitely be able to flex.

Sep 7, 2018
Like, he has made some of my favorite movies, but he also makes movies that wouldn't hold up at all if they didn't have insane budgets or his name attached. Visual feasts that are full of nonsense. My personal opinion. I love Insomnia, The Prestige, and The Dark Knight though. I was one of those people who "just didn't understand" Inception.

I fully agree with this post, Nolan's best movies were over a decade ago. I appreciate the ambition of his ideas for Inception and Interstellar, but both of these movies were disappointments to me. They are not bad movies, but are not of the same level as his previous output. I think both scripts could have been better.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
If it's the same studio why would they cannablize their own movie, more likely they would put counter-programming like kids movies in those weeks. Now it's just a blank slate for other studios to put their blockbusters in, which would actually compete with his movie.
If other studios want to put blockbusters in around Nolan, they will. Universal putting in kids movies during those weeks will not stop other studios. It's pretty common practice for a studio to give space, look at Disney 2019 that was posted earlier. He's just guaranteeing it.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017

This is SOP for most studios and isn't notable in the slightest. Someone pointed out early in the thread that Disney did the same thing for the majority of their packed 2019 slate. Counter-prommaing is usually other studios doing it against each other. Not the same studio.

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
what changes in a 100 day window vs 45 day window?

is 3 month + theater run that much more beneficial for a director than a month +?

it kinda feels like movies are gone from theaters well before 3 months even before COVID

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
what changes in a 100 day window vs 45 day window?

is 3 month + theater run that much more beneficial for a director than a month +?

it kinda feels like movies are gone from theaters well before 3 months even before COVID

It's psychological. It isn't cheap for a night out at the movies with concessions so it's not hard to rationalize it and decide to wait just over a month, especially if it's coming to streaming without a Premium increase.

If your movie is a proper "event" (ie Marvel) then that probably provides enough motivation for many to overcome that hesitation. However if you are months away from streaming the movie at home then that may sufficient to bite the bullet and see it in the theater.

Maccix

Jan 10, 2018
The studio is getting a Nolan movie for pretty cheap, with a modest 100 million budget and him being paid by first dollar cross. It's pretty low risk/high reward for them. But on his side of the deal is that they play ball when it comes to theatrical release and full creative control.

As a studio executive you'd be pretty excited about such a deal, while he just doesn't want them to fuck around and make the movie he wants to make.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
It's psychological. It isn't cheap for a night out at the movies with concessions so it's not hard to rationalize it and decide to wait just over a month, especially if it's coming to streaming without a Premium increase.

If your movie is a proper "event" (ie Marvel) then that probably provides enough motivation for many to overcome that hesitation. However if you are months away from streaming the movie at home then that may sufficient to bite the bullet and see it in the theater.

Bingo. And that's why this 100 day thing is just Nolan trying to force people who want to watch at home into the theater. He absolutely can not stand people watching at home.

There's been a few directors going off on how you need to watch in theaters, and shaming by saying those on streaming watch via phones.

I don't care about having this day 1, so the 100 day thing on this specific movie doesn't bother me. But make no mistake, this is absolutely a move by Nolan in spite of streaming only audiences. He does not want option becoming regularly accepted.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
His movies makes bank, gets good to great reviews and even sometimes wins oscars.

Only Tenet was a miss.

Nothing about this is surprising.