• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure about the rapport part.

Actors that work with Snyder seem to love him on a personal level. I don't get that feeling with Nolan and his casts.

And they have both miscast. :P

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
And Nolan has no excuses, original properties all around.

And by the time Rises debuted, Catwoman (Selina Kyle) was from Cuban descend from her mother's side since the 90's.
Ana De armas would've been perfect for "The Batman" but I'm ok with Kravits, she was great in High Fidelity.

sorry for derailing your threadOP, but I do believe they do "miscast" by portraying the world as 90 percent white, and 10 percent black/hispanic/asian

MrPink

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure about the rapport part.

Actors that work with Snyder seem to love him on a personal level. I don't get that feeling with Nolan and his casts.

And they have both miscast. :P

Nolan certainly doesn't seem like a guy you could probably chill and have a beer with, but at the same time, plenty of actors have worked with him again and again, so he must be enjoyable to work with at some level?

...but at this stage of his career, it'd probably be hard to say no if he offered you a role.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ana De armas would've been perfect for "The Batman" but I'm ok with Kravits, she was great in High Fidelity.

sorry for derailing your threadOP, but I do believe they do "miscast" by portraying the world as 90 percent white, and 10 percent black/hispanic/asian

I agree with this but I'm not sure why we're specifically targeting Nolan or Snyder for this.

This is unfortunately a hollywood problem.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My reaction when Nolan casts black dude to lead next time-bender film:

img.jpg

Sucks to be a latino/latina though. Oh wait, there was Ramirez that dirty cop in TDK. Yeah...

Nestor Carbonell also played the Mayor in TDK and TDKR.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Zuckerberg and Bezos are probably the 2 people closet to being an irl Lex Luther to anyone that ever lived, so I actually liked the angle of casting Eisenberg and characterizing Lex as a brilliant, but amoral Silicon Valley-type.

That being said I don't think he was given good dialogue or directed very well so the portrayal came off as awkward.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Casting Bane as a white guy is a pretty egregious miscasting.

I do love Tom Hardy as Bane, not as a serious villain but as a meme villain. That voice is something else.

It's always conflicting for me when an actor does a great job, but it also being whitewashing. I give it a pass in older movies, but films today that do that should be criticized for it.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
I agree with this but I'm not sure why we're specifically targeting Nolan or Snyder for this.

This is unfortunately a hollywood problem.
Well the thread is about Nolan and how he's always on point with casting, when the reality is he is also guilty of whitewashing like a lot if not most other Hollywood directors

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
MĂ©xico
Apparently all actors cast on Uwe Boll movies got along pretty well with him, but his movies still suck, so I don't think this is significant in any way for us as the audience.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure he could have had a spot in any of Interstellar, Dunkirk or Tenet.
Only role he would've had in interstellar would've been Cooper and Nolan specifically wanted Matthew for that.

There's not a single American in Dunkirk so I'm not sure what role he would've occupied if cast.

And based off of the cast for Tenet, it looks like Nolan was going for some new blood.

The Masked Mufti

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Was there any backlash to Nolan whitewashing Bane and Ras AlGhul? Because there's a lot of directors who'd get dragged over coals for it.

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
"Zack Snyder has never miscast"

*looks at Watchmen*

Nah, he's miscast plenty of times.

The main villain in Watchmen was absolutely miscast. Like, if you're going to do a whole movie with a "Who did it?" mystery, perhaps don't cast a person that looks and acts like an evil supervillain right from the get go. When I first watched it, as soon as that character came on screen I said, "Yep, that's the person. That's who killed the Comedian."

Just about everybody else in the movie was cast really well though. Rorschach is the best one.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I think Zack nails his stuff most of the time.

Mamoa as aquaman is one of the best casting choices for a comic movie ever.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
Was there any backlash to Nolan whitewashing Bane and Ras AlGhul? Because there's a lot of directors who'd get dragged over coals for it.
Unfortunately not. I remember complaining at the time and most people telling me it didn't matter because either those characters were actually white or because he didn't whitewash Lucius Fox.

Oh and his one Latina character is an obvious Montoya expy but I guess was changed so people wouldn't be mad about her being a corrupt cop? Don't know if he's ever used a Latina character/actor since then.

Oct 26, 2017
Always found in interesting that Leo hasn't worked with Nolan again

It's not for any nefarious reasons. Nolan usually has an idea as to what actors/actresses would best suit the role that he has for the story that he wants to tell. In Inception's case, he specifically wanted DiCaprio for Dom (and bc he thought it would be interesting to work with Leo). Nolan is usually the type to want to work with as many different actors as possible, although you do see returning ones like Cillian Murphy, and Michael Caine.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I actually just finished rewatching Inception. It's actually amazing how much Nolan made Leo in his own image in this lol