• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
It's kinda similar to how a lot of the male characters in Spielberg's movies need to grow up or learn to care about children (Hook, Jurassic Park, War of the Worlds).

Or how Tim Burton's characters often have daddy issues.

Storytellers often just stick to whatever they're familiar with. It doesn't even have to be something personal, it may be something as simple as they had success with a certain formula/story and just don't want to stray too far from it.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's more than that. There's a distinct flair of patriarchy in his movies.

In The Dark Knight, at the end when Two-Face holds hostage Gordon's son and daughter, he tells Gordon "I'm going to take what's most important to you" as he decides to kill the son. The movie is saying that the son is more important than the daughter. On top of that, the son is named "Gordon Jr"; a father naming his son after him is another trait of egocentrism and patriarchy.

In Batman Begins, Bruce's parents die; both of them. However, everytime Bruce has a flashback to "his parents", he always thinks of his father. In fact, his mother doesn't have a single line in the movie.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017

In The Dark Knight, at the end when Two-Face holds hostage Gordon's son and daughter, he tells Gordon "I'm going to take what's most important to you" as he decides to kill the son. The movie is saying that the son is more important than the daughter. On top of that, the son is named "Gordon Jr"; a father naming his son after him is another trait of egocentrism and patriarchy.

In Batman Begins, Bruce's parents die; both of them. However, everytime Bruce has a flashback to "his parents", he always thinks of his father. In fact, his mother doesn't have a single line in the movie.

That's not true actually.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
The fact that she does have a few added to my not remembering it despite having watched the movie many times is a good testament to how unimportant the movie makes her out to be.

True, though to be fair that's how the source material tends to always go. Bruce trying to live up to his pops. Still, Nolan had the opportunity to make her more important but didn't. Bruce only seemed to remember he had a mother in TDKR.

Oct 28, 2017
Apparently I have to point out that last sentence was a joke. Although I didn't know he had already talked about this (didn't think about the whole "fear" aspect either), if indeed someone brought it up to him. This is more of a curiosity for me, and as has been mentioned, it is pretty morbid.

Well coop's wife not being around intensifies the drama of him leaving his kids, since he's essentially orphaning them. It's kind of a similar reason why he makes Bale's wife in The Prestige kill herself, just to have the whole situation of their daughter becoming an oprhan and being adopted by Angier.

Also, thanks VaporSnake I had forgotten there are actually two dead wives in The Prestige lol.
Why the word fear is in quotes? Every husband´s nightmare is to lose a partner or a child.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
good lawd

Just pretend I bolded or italicized the word instead.

No, this thread is about you now. Welcome to ResetEra!

ShorttermThornyFlycatcher-size_restricted.gif

foggy

Oct 25, 2017
Creative types have their fixations. People have been psycho-analyzing Hitchcock for years, because of his preoccupations.

Oct 27, 2017
Why does Scorcese make movies about criminals? Is he a secret criminal? Writers tend to use certain themes in their work, this is a common one. Wouldn't read into it more than that.

Disney movies have a thing for dead parents too.
He loves refrigerators

Stuffed ina fridge is not the same thing as a generally dead spouse. That's a very specific thing that's getting thrown around all the time now anytime there is a dead significant other in a story and it's not applicable universally.

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
It's just an auteur thing.

Spielberg has a trademark where almost all his movies involve a parent-child relationship.

Oct 28, 2017

Wow I just watched that scene again. I never even realized Gordon *had* a daughter.

But, to use an example from another Nolan movie, in Interstellar Cooper really doesn't give two shits about his son in that movie, just his daughter. He doesn't mention a single thing about him at the end when he finally reunites with Murph.

Meanwhile his son is the dumb student who takes over the farm and Murph is physics genius who solves the gravity equation with the new data, saves the world and has a station named after her. Yea, so much for "patriarchy"

Last edited:

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Have you lost a loved one? Shit is devastating.

The trope itself is not bad, is what you do with it. Most stories treat it as an afterthought to get the character into a killing frenzy. I think Nolan uses the trope very well by exploring the ever lasting impacts of the trauma.

The dead wife was the best thing about Inception.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
for a second there I thought Chris Nolan had the same issue as Jerry Lee Lewis. Some dead wives, cover-ups and no one ever talking about it.

lemonade

May 8, 2018
Some of yall need to calm down. Don't immediate pull out the "Nolan doesn't know how to write strong female characters" card.

It's just a trope that he likes to use, no need to add your personal explanation to it.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The thread title had me expecting this was going to be about Netflix's next shocking true crime documentary series focusing on the many suspicious deaths of the spouses of a famous film director.

Oct 25, 2017

Wait, are you saying Two Face not holding his daughter hostage is because of patriarchy in a thread about dead wives?

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
He just seems incapable of writing women most of the time, so its a convenience thing.

Incapable? I think Carrie-Ann Moss' character in Memento, Murph from Interstellar, Inception's Ariadi+Mal, even women in the Batman trilogy were ok-to-good-to-sometimes even great imho.

He is very capable. I could name 5 more prolific directors than Nolan that routinely treat their women characters far worse.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Inception (Cobb and the kids he cannot get back to)? Or are you talking about Cooper and Murph?
Inception. It's like he made a movie, working in a field that can be all consuming of your time, potentially at the expense of family life, about an individual who allowed his obsession with creating worlds to separate him from his family.

I think his movies can clearly be read in part about him grappling with his familial relationships, including fears and regrets.

But yes the dead wife thing has become a crutch creatively, and feels less like a recurring theme and more like a writing shortcut in his movies these days, so I'm glad that he broke that habit with Dunkirk.

Conciliator

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think he has some dead wife fetish or something, but Nolan absolutely sucks with female characters. Half of his movies it feels like someone had to pull his teeth out to get him to add one woman with dialogue and story agency

Oct 28, 2017
Stanley Kubrick also made movies mainly starring only white men and didn't seem at all concerned about subjects involving minorities. Lots of filmmakers have gaps in their work.

Oct 25, 2017
Whoa, you're right. I don't ever remember seeing a sex scene is his films.
As with most PG13 movies, that's the most you're getting.

It's an okay scene, but "incapable of approaching romance or sexuality" is just making shit up.

Not trying to come off as a Nolan fanboy but a lot of you keep saying things that are really easy disprove.

Oct 26, 2017
Just his thing I guess, a good way of incorporating a woman into a story as an important character when you can't write them well lol

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
I don't think he has some dead wife fetish or something, but Nolan absolutely sucks with female characters. Half of his movies it feels like someone had to pull his teeth out to get him to add one woman with dialogue and story agency

I understand the entire industry has this problem, but the same could be said about nearly any director. Why this pops in every Nolan discussion is odd to me as I feel he is much better in this regard than other directors: Spielberg, Scorsese, Kubrick, Eastwood, Coppolla, Gibson, and Tarantino (with one big exception).

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
As with most PG13 movies, that's the most you're getting.

It's an okay scene, but "incapable of approaching romance or sexuality" is just making shit up.

Not trying to come off as a Nolan fanboy but a lot of you keep saying things that are really easy disprove.

I half suspect that scene was even included because someone was afraid people would think Batman is gay.

But I agree the lack of sex is primarily due to striving for that all appealing demographic, just like there isn't much blood in his action scenes.

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Whoa, you're right. I don't ever remember seeing a sex scene is his films.

I heard somewhere he is not a fan of adding sex or romance to move his story forward. He apparently said he is a filmmaker who is about moving the story and getting to the point and unless his movie had romance as a main point he wouldn't add it to spice it up with a sex scene.

His only emotional movie has been interstellar and rest have been very calculated stories with arcs that get to the point fast so I get why he avoids sex or romance unless the story calls for it

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Wow I just watched that scene again. I never even realized Gordon *had* a daughter.

But, to use an example from another Nolan movie, in Interstellar Cooper really doesn't give two shits about his son in that movie, just his daughter. He doesn't mention a single thing about him at the end when he finally reunites with Murph.

Meanwhile his son is the dumb student who takes over the farm and Murph is physics genius who solves the gravity equation with the new data, saves the world and has a station named after her. Yea, so much for "patriarchy"

That's one thing that always bothered me about Interstellar. Coop didn't seem to give two shits about his son. It's like he accepted his son moved on without him and focused on his daughter. But, he can't even be bothered to ask, "hey, did my son turn out alright?"

Edit: It gets super weird when you realise that Cobb is a stand in for Nolan in Interstellar.

Does that make Arthur a stand-in for his wife?

Oct 25, 2017
I half suspect that scene was even included because someone was afraid people would think Batman is gay.

But I agree the lack of sex is primarily due to striving for that all appealing demographic, just like there isn't much blood in his action scenes.
Or because it shows that Talia successfully honey potted him and got him to trust her which becomes a major plot point in the finale.

Conciliator

Oct 25, 2017
I understand the entire industry has this problem, but the same could be said about nearly any director. Why this pops in every Nolan discussion is odd to me as I feel he is much better in this regard than other directors: Spielberg, Scorsese, Kubrick, Eastwood, Coppolla, Gibson, and Tarantino (with one big exception).

I think that's fair to a degree, I guess I just expect more from a modern younger director, and I definitely wouldn't say he's better than those examples. There are faaaar more complex, driven women with agency in Tarantino movies than in Nolan movies.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol honest trailer made fun of this in their Nolan honest trailer. His wife is a producer on all his movies so maybe he's trying to tell her something.

Every artist writes about something that affects them. It's likely that he loves his wife so much that his worst fear is losing her. The honest trailer also pointed out how all his protagonists look like him. Hes clearly writing his leads as some versions of himself. It's not too much of a leap to assume he's basing his female leads on his wife or ex girlfriends.