• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
It'd be weird if they did a worldwide release that excluded the USA (and Brazil). Then again these are crazed times.
Not so weird when previous Nolan movies have made more than 50% of their gross from Europe, Asia, and other territories. Plus, USA and Brazil are fucking up the most on the whole planet in terms of containing the virus, but the other countries who have been sensible seem eligible for theatre releases.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
My hunch is that they'll do a theatrical release overseas and a digital release in the USA a few weeks later (with an eventual theatrical release once the USA cinemas open up).

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
Nolan may love the theatre experience but you guys are delusional if you think WB will even let him release it on VOD if he wanted to. If we went to the super low end and say they lost out on 50MM, who in their right mind would be ok with skipping theatres with that estimated loss? And it most likely will be much higher, sucks but theyll wait a long with every other major blockbuster

Freddy=Legend

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 29, 2017
Just put it on VOD, for fucks sake.

So, the options are wait a year & release in theaters or loses hundreds of millions of dollars by releasing it VOD? This isn't Trolls World Tour or Scoob where the studio doesn't have a lot of riding on its success. This is a hundred million dollar blockbuster. They aren't making their money back on VOD.

tadaima

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
If they release this staggered, the piracy will eat it alive.
My thoughts. There is no way they release this in the EU and suspend the US release indefinitely. They'd lose the entire US box office. The result would be massively worse than releasing it as VOD in the US, and I can't see them doing that with a Nolan film given how much money is on the table (not to mention how the production staff would feel about it).

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
It seems like EU/Asia could get the film first but WB don't want to pull the trigger due to piracy concerns.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Just release it digital now and do a re-release in theaters when things improve.... if that ever happens at this point.

People will still be more than willing to see it again in theaters (worked with re-releases like Titanic and Avatar), especially since people will have missed having the theater experience after being stuck at home for so long. Otherwise, that movie everyone worked so hard on is just wasting away.

A digital release now + theatrical re-release later won't come close to making the same kind of money a normal theatrical run would get. I'd think that everyone who worked so hard on making the film would want it to be seen by the most people possible.

Is there a reason it has to come out this year? I know nothing about the industry, but Nolan and WB are loaded. They can afford to push it to 2021.
Nolan's whole thing has always been wanting Tenet to be available to give theaters a shot in the arm after lockdowns have ended. The longer studios have to wait on showing the Tenets, the Black Widows, the Bonds, etc. the more their business is going to take a major existential hit. Who knows what the theater landscape will look like in 2021?

I'm sure WB wouldn't mind mitigating their 2020 losses somewhat with Tenet's box office gross too

Oct 25, 2017
Nolan may love the theatre experience but you guys are delusional if you think WB will even let him release it on VOD if he wanted to. If we went to the super low end and say they lost out on 50MM, who in their right mind would be ok with skipping theatres with that estimated loss? And it most likely will be much higher, sucks but theyll wait a long with every other major blockbuster
But the "loss" is based off box office numbers before corona. If they even want to attempt to get those numbers it'll need to be pushed 1-2 years back

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
If anyone is gonna hold out for the theaters to open, it's Nolan. I wouldn't put it past Tarentino either.

More power to him. Hope it's good.

looprider

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah an August release date was super optimistic on their part. Just release it on VOD and put it out again on IMAX when things are safe. I would double dip after watching it on my couch to see this movie on a giant screen.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't Universal praising how much money they made releasing Trolls World Tour on a $19.99 VoD rental? A Nolan movie released VoD might not make as much as in theaters, but it's still gonna make bank.
They touted Trolls making $100m, which is fine for its budget but still lower than what the first Trolls made. You'll also notice that other than Trolls and 1 or 2 other things, most studios aren't talking up their VOD releases' rentals. For example, I don't think it's still been revealed what the new Judd Apatow made last month.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
The Trolls thing is a bit complicated

It's still impossible to argue that VOD releases will make you substantially less money than the traditional distribution stream.
No doubt, but it's still money. And with social distancing and everything the way it is now, theater movies might not make as much as they used to anyways.

The era of the billion dollar movie may very well be dead, or at least delayed by a few years.

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
I've already seen it even though it hasn't happened yet. It is going to has been great now when it releases yesterday.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
You were supposed to be the saviour of cinema, Christopher! Your subtle use of exposition and masterful dialogue just won't have the same je ne sais quoi coming out of my lowly LG flat screen.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
No doubt, but it's still money. And with social distancing and everything the way it is now, theater movies might not make as much as they used to anyways.

The era of the billion dollar movie may very well be dead, or at least delayed by a few years.
Yeah for sure. The issue is once you release on VOD, there's no undoing that. Even a theatrical run that doesn't hit capacity will make them some extra money, since anyone who is going to wait for VOD will still Watch it on VOD. If they go straight to VOD, they'll never get any theatrical money (I mean maybe a theatrical rerelease, but that's negligible). I don't think they'll wait to release Tenet until theatres are 100% back to normal, but they'll never make their money back if they go straight to digital. Trolls was a "well let's release it and see what happens" type of investment, the stakes aren't high. Tenet isn't that, the cost of the film is too high, and the cost of keeping Nolan happy is too valuable

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
And it would still lose money for the studio.
If they played it right, found a streaming service as a provider after 2 months on VOD, they could make a killing. It's not making studios any money sitting on a shelf, and theaters won't be coming back for a long time, if ever. Even post-vaccine, people are still going to be uncomfortable sitting in close quarters for long periods of time.

Freddy=Legend

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 29, 2017
Wasn't Universal praising how much money they made releasing Trolls World Tour on a $19.99 VoD rental? A Nolan movie released VoD might not make as much as in theaters, but it's still gonna make bank.

The problem is, Universal's last report is Trolls made $100 million in rentals. Which is already less than half of Tenet's production budget not accounting for the crazy amount they probably put into marketing already. That's an uphill climb to start. Then you factor in, a family of four rents the movie for $19.99 vs the same family of 4 goes to the theater & pays, conservatively, $9.99 for a matinee. That already $20.00 less dollars the film is getting. Then take into account people invite friends over to their house & they rent it. What if you invite 4 or 5 people over, that's even less revenue the movie is making because one charge of $19.99 vs x amount of people each paying for a ticket. It's juts not going to come close to what it will if they just wait & get theatrical revenue.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone paying attention knew this was gonna be the case eventually. You look like a proper piece of shit trying to put it out at a time like this. Just absurd. Fuck off with the ego and make a shit ton doing VOD. Your precious industry will survive it.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
This will be on VOD in Europe before it gets to American theaters lol

I'm glad though, enough with the hemming and hawing with month delays.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
If they played it right, found a streaming service as a provider after 2 months on VOD, they could make a killing. It's not making studios any money sitting on a shelf, and theaters won't be coming back for a long time, if ever. Even post-vaccine, people are still going to be uncomfortable sitting in close quarters for long periods of time.

People aren't even social distancing properly in the middle of the pandemic...

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
i feel like this is based on absolutely nothing

other than an outdated view of movie releases

trolls did incredibly well and who gives a shit about trolls. this is will be a crazy big movie no matter how they release it
I mean, don't you think studios have already gone over this and crunched these numbers multiple times already? Some people here act like they just landed on this idea themselves, as if it hadn't already occurred to the studios lol. If Marvel isn't releasing Black Widow on VOD, and MGM isn't releasing No Time to Die on VOD, and Universal isn't releasing F9 on VOD, wouldn't you think they all independently determined they'd lose more than they'd gain from skipping theatrical distribution? I tend to think that if Hollywood believed they really could make a killing from dropping $200m blockbusters on VOD, then they'd be doing that!

Oct 28, 2017
Just release it digital now and do a re-release in theaters when things improve.... if that ever happens at this point.

People will still be more than willing to see it again in theaters (worked with re-releases like Titanic and Avatar), especially since people will have missed having the theater experience after being stuck at home for so long. Otherwise, that movie everyone worked so hard on is just wasting away.

This sounds like a good way to lose literally a billion dollars.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

That's the thing people are discounting. Once theaters are getting new movies to show again, and it's safer to go and see them, what's the guarantee that these first movies out of the gate will make nearly as much as they would have under normal circumstances? People aren't gonna rush out to see them the way they did pre-pandemic.

WB (and frankly, other studios) should be looking at ways to maximize profits with the stuff they have now. Either look at VOD options, look at placing them into their respective streaming services, whatever you think works best. You look at how HBO Max is slipping to get a foothold, releasing a bigger movie on there would draw a lot of subs even if they're temporary. (Not saying release Tenet or WW84 there, but something close to those.)

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I know a lot of people still are. The people who you're seeing in the news aren't representative of the entire population.

I actually think its the other way round, the average person isn't that fussed. I'm from the UK though and not the US, so can only speak for here, but the streets were packed with people when pubs reopened. Tons of people would still be going to movies, live sports, gigs etc if they were open to them right now.

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
But the "loss" is based off box office numbers before corona. If they even want to attempt to get those numbers it'll need to be pushed 1-2 years back
yeh, thats why you saw a few films like fast and furious get pushed a year, probably even longer tbh. studios are going to eat shit this year, probably next as well, but they cant risk it right now with the films they know will rake in 600-800MM. There is always a 5% it makes as much, if not more on VOD, but their eggheads are saying nope, theyre just going to follow the data even if its imperfect because no one knows.

personally id love for them to release it VOD, but it wont happen, theyll wait 1-2 years if needed.

Johnlenham

Oct 29, 2017
Its weird seeing people get mad about how it could get released in the cinema in the Eu before the Usa, it happens with films all the time the other way around.

Def would say it would be wasted on VOD vs just not releasing it for awhile, its not like it wont exist in 6 months time