• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Speaks to Sony's quality push that this was such a big factor. Pandemic and all, I feel like other factors made delaying a reasonable choice but it's great to hear a story of the industry actually giving a shit without conniving or pushing too hard.

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
i will now will only use GofW to refer to God of War.

i'm really glad Judge seems recovering well ♥

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
The eternal cynic in me won't be shocked if he gets attacked by internet scumholes over this. Anyway, glad he's doing better.

Just said yesterday that while I didn't find GoW writing to be anything special, Judge definitely elevated was he was given. Dug his performance.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I'm already seeing some game news sites use pretty awful clickbait titles for this tweet chain... ugh

Eamon

Prophet of Truth
Apr 22, 2020
Incredible story - SSM showing how they're some of the best in the business

ARdgx

Banned
Jul 6, 2021
Washington
Whenever I see twitter posts coming from most of SSM employees I see love and passion for life and their craft. It gives me hope.

Delaney

Oct 25, 2017
You don't delay a project just because of this. Like, this is good PR and I don't doubt that the story was as wholesome as it's told and Santa Monica greatly values him as part of what makes God of War shine, but even if they considered a delay because of it, from 2019 to 2021 there would have been another hundred reaasons and situations for them to delay the game.

Manta_Breh

May 16, 2018
Wow, those surgeries are no joke. Hope he's doing well now.

Like others have said, his work on gow was amazing.

TC McQueen

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, I had no idea he was in that rough of shape. Hope he's doing fine now.

I wouldn't be surprised if Santa Monica was going to delay anyway for whatever reason (wouldn't be surprised if the timeline lines up with PS5 support), so it was easy to accommodate him.

Pachinko

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
He's obviously doing much better now or he wouldn't have shared this , that's great ! To those out there discounting what effect this would have - any mo cap featuring judge would have been post-poned a solid 6 months , that's a LOT of recovery. That timing would have seen him ready to get back to work around February or March of last year … and uh sadly we all know what's been going on since last March.
Between this , the pandemic , usual game delay reasons , I kind of wonder if the GOWR we end up with will be bigger than first planned …

Anyway , props to Sony for not recasting his motion capture while he was injured.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Omg the amount of surgery he had. Glad it all went well and yeah if the game needs to be delayed or cancelled cause of this who cares, his health is the most important thing. Sony and ssm being able to work around that and not replace him were doing the right thing.

Transistor

Outer Wilds Ventures Test Pilot
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Glad to see the studio was there to support him through the whole endeavor. Judge seems like such an awesome guy, I'm glad he's doing better.

JoJo'sDentCo

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
You don't delay a project just because of this. Like, this is good PR and I don't doubt that the story was as wholesome as it's told and Santa Monica greatly values him as part of what makes God of War shine, but even if they considered a delay because of it, from 2019 to 2021 there would have been another hundred reaasons and situations for them to delay the game.
You have insider knowledge of SSM or something?

Deleted member 5129

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I agree with you, they were probably going to delay the game anyways.

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019
As a person with back troubles myself, I say to all you youngin's -- stretch! I don't have nearly the problems Chris had and back pain is absolutely brutal.

Transistor

Outer Wilds Ventures Test Pilot
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Considering motion capture is a huge part of the game, delaying it because their star is unable to do the motion capture absolutely makes sense.

Boomstick75

Banned
May 7, 2021
Im glad they delayed it but Ragnarok was revealed well over a year later after his injury. I dont think his injury was the reason it was delayed to 2022.

The star of the game literally just said that he was the reason it was delayed.

I mean, justifiably so....the man IS Kratos, and they can't do the game without him, but he literally said so himself. Disagreeing with him on this is certainly a take. Not sure what kind, but a take nonetheless.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Really wonderful to see SSM doing this. Everyone probably assumed it was due to COVID but it's awesome that they delayed production so Kratos could be a part of this <3

Even then with Ratchet this year and Horizon next year, Sony is still putting out amazing games, so we can wait on Ragnarok. Hopefully not TOO much, though ;)

I mean the game wasn't announced until October of 2020 for a 2021 date (which obviously isn't happening now) so this would have been after Chris went into surgery. I assume they thought he'd be back sooner than he was so he could do the Mocap.

Even then I highly doubt the game would come out in 2019 when GoW came out just a year before that, come on now.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP

So you know more than Judge with regards to this particular project? Or you thinking he's embellishing and talking it up?

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Considering motion capture is a huge part of the game, delaying it because their star is unable to do the motion capture absolutely makes sense.
Yep esp if he had the surgery in late 2019, COVID kind of helped to give some extra cover on the Mo-cap issues as well. But now makes sense if say he still wasnt in a good spot yet. Between both hips and back that is a huge toll on your body. Def could set back a project by at least 3-5 months and that is huge amount of time as well, then another delay would be the work from home stuff as well so that sets things back again so it just compounds the delays.

Septimus

Oct 27, 2017
The 💪🪑 is strong. "I don't believe him." Jesus, some people lol. On topic, this is really heartfelt and was a bold thing to say without getting loads of legal permission. Props to Judge and Santa Monica.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017

This happens alot, actually. Especially in movies where the star is injured like Indiana Jones 5 or Mission Impossible 6. This isn't some QA tester at an outsourcing partner, this is the literal star of the game who would be expected to motion capture his scenes and act with other actors. It's a very physically demanding job, even if he's not doing the combat mocap.

Delaney

Oct 25, 2017
So you know more than Judge with regards to this particular project? Or you thinking he's embellishing and talking it up?
You have insider knowledge of SSM or something?

No need to be so aggressive 💀 I don't work on this game but I work making games for a living, want to post your CVs or smth to check which one has a better insight on how a production delay works? This forum sometimes...

Sure you do, all the time. It doesn't mean there couldn't have been other delays after this for other reasons, possibly in part because of the earlier delay.

But my point was, this is just one of the reasons that could make the team evaluate the delay of the project. If everything worked out perfectly for an earlier release and Sony needed GoW out by a certain date pre-2022, you could bet they would have recasted (at least, for this title). The incident happened "early enough" so an alternative solution could have been found. Now, if the situation was "the actor for our protagonist is not available, we can not release the game optimized enough in 2021, covid set us back a few months and content is just not ready", then you have a delay (which is what possibly happened, considering the scope of the project). The story that Christopher is sharing works well because it shows the studio took him into consideration as a big part of GoW's DNA and speaks well for the team, but the statement that "the game was delayed because of me" would be as true as a 3D modeler of the game saying "the game was also delayed because of me".

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't even played GoW but I appreciate this dude's craft. He is an artist. And I'm glad he brings life to kratos, but if he needs a break, he needs a break. Fuck everythang else. Ya hurr me?