• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017

After he left Doctor Who in 2005, Christopher Eccleston spent years remaining silent about just why he'd departed the series almost as quickly as it had returned to lauded acclaim. In recent years he's started being more open about his time on the show—but today at New York Comic Con he spoke plainly about why he left Who, and has yet to return.

According to The Independent, Eccleston alleged that his exit from Doctor Whofollowed a complete breakdown in his working relationship with "three individuals and the way they were running the show"—presumably showrunner Russell T. Davies, and executive producers Julie Gardner and Phil Collinson:

I left only because of those three individuals and the way they were running the show. I loved playing the character. I felt I was going to play the Doctor my way and I wasn't going to get involved with those politics and that wasn't workable, so off I went. I became the invisible man.
Eccleston went on to allege that his exit from Doctor Who lead to him being blacklisted for acting jobs in the UK, leading to the actor taking roles in the U.S. like his brief stint on Heroes. As to why he turned down Steven Moffat's offer for him to return—despite also praising Moffat's writing for his Doctor in "The Empty Child" and "The Doctor Dances"—alongside Matt Smith and David Tennant for "The Day of the Doctor," Eccleston stated that it was because of the narrative in the script he was given, combined with the lingering politics that led to his departure in the first place:

When I read it, I felt that it was basically myself, Matt and Dave riffing off the fact that we used to be the Doctors. I personally didn't feel like the narrative was strong enough, particularly for the Ninth Doctor because I'd taken quite a lot of abuse in my own country when I left.
As the show was being celebrated I was being abused in the press and that was hard to take and very confusing. So I looked at it and I thought is this really the way I want to come back and I decided it wasn't. There were other factors, political factors.

But for all his frank talk of the real reasons he ultimately put the show behind him, Eccleston has made it clear that he still has a love for both his Doctor and the fans who supported his take on the war-scarred Time Lord. His appearance at NYCC this year, and the upcoming Gallifrey One convention, are some of his first attempts to finally reach out to those fans after years of avoiding conventions related to Who, mostly thanks to the politics of his exit. As sour as his depature was, it's nice to see that there are at least some positives he can now take from his time in the TARDIS.

lkbkrqzczjgpfzjkwtcp.png

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Im at a complete lost, Dalek, and feeling a huge sense of Deja Vu

i thought we knew all this already

I don't think he's confirmed in public before the specific conflict he had with the show. A lot of people just suspected that he didn't enjoy playing the Doctor or felt it was beneath him-but here he specifically calls out the conflict with those "three people."

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
Given how lousy the 50th was, I don't blame him for that, I just don't count John Hurt as an official doctor, even if he is canon. Eccleston is still my Doctor. Best portrayal of the conflict happening constantly inside the post-war Doctor - putting on a brave face for those around him and for himself. Truly Fantastic.
This is the first time I've seen Davies lumped into the conversation of those involved with his reason for leaving. I had always heard it was a singular producer who mistreated the crew but that it was never RTD

Also didn't know he caught so much shit for it in the UK press. thought it was manly online places like ERA

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think he's confirmed in public before the specific conflict he had with the show. A lot of people just suspected that he didn't enjoy playing the Doctor or felt it was beneath him-but here he specifically calls out the conflict with those "three people."

It's been known for a while that he had an absolutely massive falling-out with some of the producers who worked on Who in his season. He's polite enough to not name names but I believe Euros Lyn was one of the ones he truly hated?

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what the script looked like when he was offered the role.

As is, you could remove Hurt and insert Eccleston, and really not have to cut a thing except for explaining "the war doctor"

In the end, I still loved the 50th. The War Doctor was one of the few good retcons I've seen, and Hurt was great.

gully state

Oct 27, 2017
I wish we got another season w/ him as the doctor. Still my favorite new doctor. I wonder what exactly the falling out was over.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
He was my introduction to the Doctor, and I really hold his version of the character in high regard. I'm somewhat... relieved to hear his side of the story, even though it's a sad one.

GillianSeed79

Oct 27, 2017
He is what got me hooked on Doctor Who. He and Tennant followed by Smith are my favorite of the modern doctors. It's messed up that he got black listed. His chemistry with Rose was fantastic. I hate to say, while I do like the actor who plays the current Doctor, the show has been almost unwatchable for almost three seasons now compared to old Who.

Last edited:

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Im at a complete lost, Dalek, and feeling a huge sense of Deja Vu

i thought we knew all this already
It was all unconfirmed stuff. But yeah this has been an open secret for years.

Difference is, he's pulling a Leonard Nimoy and embracing his role after going silent or hostile to it.

Then confirms all the things we heard second hand.

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's such a shame because he was fantastic, truly. I always feel mixed though since we got Tennant and he's "my Doctor"; I wouldn't want to have missed out on him, but also I wanted more Eccleston. Ugh.

I love how principled he is. My impression was he was standing up for the crew against mistreatment.

The main thing that annoys me about the Anniversary show is why they short-changed McGann's Eighth Doctor (yet again). John Hurt is great but the character was unnecessary; it should have been the Eighth Doctor the whole way through. That would have been so good, but instead we get a kind of throwaway Doctor.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
We've definitely heard bits of this over the years. The long and short of it is that he wasn't getting along with the people running the show and it soured him on the whole enterprise. He may still look fondly on the character, but it's clear that being on the show itself wasn't a very pleasant or positive experience for him, so I can hardly blame him for not returning for the 50th.

I hope that in time things cool off for him, like they did for Tom Baker. He deserves a big slice of the credit for reviving Doctor Who, and it'd be amazing to have him back in some capacity.

I love how principled he is. My impression was he was standing up for the crew against mistreatment.

That's something I definitely remember hearing, and it fits with what we know about Eccleston. Keith Boak was the director I remember being cited as a big problem for Chris, and I may be misremembering, but I think Phil Collinson might've rubbed him the wrong way too.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017

I believe he's talked about clashing with the staff previously. I recall mentioning something about the treatment of either crew or extras that caused one major on set argument.

If there's truth to his being blacklisted, it would explain why he dropped off the face of the earth. There's no way an actor that talented would go silent for so long unless it was a voluntary retirement.

He's stated before that roles were beneath him. Including GI Joe and his Thor 2 job, which if I recall he said he took purely for the money. He strikes as the type of actor that only enjoys his work when he feels it's expressing his art. As opposed to say, Sam Jackson or Liam Neeson who work for work's sake. I don't think he's ever been as negative towards Who as say, Alec Guiness was towards Star Wars, but he's definitely come across in the past as not being happy with his time on Who. Though there's no reason to doubt that it was due to the environment as he describes in this interview and others.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
He's stated before that roles were beneath him. Including GI Joe and his Thor 2 job, which if I recall he said he took purely for the money.

I seem to recall that it was actually Chris who approached Russell T Davies and not the other way around. Admittedly Chris hadn't seen any scripts at that stage, but it was on the strength of RTD's rep that Chris was interested in playing the role.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
I wish we got another season w/ him as the doctor. Still my favorite new doctor. I wonder what exactly the falling out was over.

I'm all for him reprising his role through an audio dramas, as the Doctor Who AD's produced by Big Finish are spectacular. (The stories that star Paul McGann's all-too-brief 8th Doctor, such as Blood of the Dalecks and Enemy Aliens, are brilliant. Highly recommended.)

It's such a shame because he was fantastic, truly. I always feel mixed though since we got Tennant and he's "my Doctor"; I wouldn't want to have missed out on him, but also I wanted more Eccleston. Ugh.

The main thing that annoys me about the Anniversary show is why they short-changed McGann's Eighth Doctor (yet again). John Hurt is great but the character was unnecessary; it should have been the Eighth Doctor the whole way through. That would have been so good, but instead we get a kind of throwaway Doctor.

Given how lousy the 50th was, I don't blame him for that, I just don't count John Hurt as an official doctor, even if he is canon. Eccleston is still my Doctor. Best portrayal of the conflict happening constantly inside the post-war Doctor - putting on a brave face for those around him and for himself. Truly Fantastic.
This is the first time I've seen Davies lumped into the conversation of those involved with his reason for leaving. I had always heard it was a singular producer who mistreated the crew but that it was never RTD

Also didn't know he caught so much shit for it in the UK press. thought it was manly online places like ERA

He was fantastic in The Leftovers.

He is what got me hooked on Doctor Who. He and Tennant followed by Smith are my favorite of the modern doctors. It's messed up that he got black listed. His chemistry with Rose was fantastic. I hate to say, while I do like the actor who plays the current Doctor, the show has been almost unwatchable for almost three seasons now compared to old Who.

giphy.gif

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I was at the panel. He said outright that he and the crew were being treated very poorly, and that he made a stand because he felt it was right to do so over their treatment, and was essentially blacklisted for years after because of it.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
How's Whitaker as The Doctor? I haven't watched in a while but I loved her in Broadchurch.
She is the Doctor from the first episode she's there.

The stories however are sort of Star Trek Voyager, afraid to take chances, else the viewers might think the first woman Doctor might be hatred.

Thus, most shit on her episodes despite her being a great Doctor.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
How's Whitaker as The Doctor? I haven't watched in a while but I loved her in Broadchurch.
I haven't liked her in the role. I think part of it is the writing failing her, but partly she doesn't do enough to make the role her own, and she largely spends most of her time on screen fumbling through scenes while the two male crew members of the Tardis, Ryan and Graham, act circles around her. I'm sure it's not popular to say that, but she's been a disaster for me, and her first season is the weakest of new Who by far.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
She's charming enough and has good comic timing ( and Walsh was great too) Her first 3 episodes were good (especially Rosa), but the series lost steam after that. One writing issue with 13 is she maybe the biggest pacifist of the new doctors, but her morality is dodgy, shooting a mass murdering enemy will make her really angry, but it's ok to freeze them for enternity or trick enemies into eating themselves.

TheFurizzlyBear

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Not a big Doctor Who fan but when I watched in my teens he was the Doctor so I have a fondness for him. I'm bummed to learn he wasn't treated well. Even in watching it now, hes a very good Doctor and holds up well.

gully state

Oct 27, 2017
The Whitaker eps have been bland overall. I think the only one that I really enjoyed was the India/Pakistan episode. Having an ensemble cast is great but like the others have said, it just seems bland. Also I miss Murray Gold's soundtrack.

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Whitaker has the same problem that Capaldi had for a lot of his run, imho - the actor is phenomenal but the material is lousy.

(Disclaimer: Capaldi did have SOME good stuff. Heaven Sent in particular is my favorite episode of the show, period. But a lot of his stories were utter dreck. I also liked Whitaker's episode about Rosa Parks, but that was about it.)

EDIT: Goddammit, I always say Hell Bent when I mean Heaven Sent. Edited to correct to the superior episode of the two.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
I seem to recall that it was actually Chris who approached Russell T Davies and not the other way around. Admittedly Chris hadn't seen any scripts at that stage, but it was on the strength of RTD's rep that Chris was interested in playing the role.

You're talking about Who specifically. I was referencing Eccleston's comments on his past work history which make it seem like he's picky about the roles he wants to play for the most part, since the poster I was responding to had stated that there's "no way" someone as talented as him would "go silent" for long periods.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
I was never a Doctor Who fan growing up. It all seemed like cheap and silly low budget nonsense. But when the show rebooted with Eccleston I gave it a shot in part because Who has always intrigued me while simultaneously disappointing me and because I was a fan of Eccleston's since Shallow Grave. And with his Doctor, I finally "got it." The whole thing clicked and I understood the real appeal of the show. Tennant and Smith never hooked me the same way, so I was sad he only had one season, but I'll always be grateful for him for being the touchstone that allowed me to get a glimpse of what it's like to be a Who fan.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
You're talking about Who specifically. I was referencing Eccleston's comments on his past work history which make it seem like he's picky about the roles he wants to play for the most part, since the poster I was responding to had stated that there's "no way" someone as talented as him would "go silent" for long periods.

Oh sure, I wasn't trying to refute what you were saying. I meant to just piggyback off your post, sorry for the confusion!

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Wouldn't surprise me that the BBC has terrible employee conditions.

It really is all a shame. Sure we got Tennant out of Eccleston leaving, but if you watch the interviews Eccleston did before the series was out or finished production he was genuinely interested in it and ecstatic about the working on this sort of kids show.

Blent

Oct 26, 2017
East Midlands, England, UK
I remember watching Dr Who when it was rebooted with Eccleston back in 2005 and really enjoying his northern charm.

Then Tennant took over and it became all goofy and the series became all about 'look how wonderful and amazing and special the Doctor is!' every single week and I quickly tapped out.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
Such a shame. He's a fantastic actor and I really liked his take on the Doctor. Didn't deserve to be blacklisted like this, and on that note what a shit thing to even be able to happen too. That someone's career can just be smashed like that. Everyone involved in that sounds like right pricks.

Oct 27, 2017
This thread reminded me to buy the latest series on disc, as I missed it when it aired.

I was late to the new Who party, so I only saw Eccleston's run after I'd seen all of Tennant's. He was a great Doctor and I wish we had more episodes with him.

Having said that, I kind of like that he had such a limited run. Makes each of those episodes special - even the weirdly bad ones.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I really loved him as Doctor Who. He was the first Doctor for me and his acts, face and voice was so good. I think he could be much more popular if he had more seasons.

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
If there's truth to his being blacklisted, it would explain why he dropped off the face of the earth. There's no way an actor that talented would go silent for so long unless it was a voluntary retirement.

I've never understood his claims of being "blacklisted" by the BBC, because immediately after Doctor Who he went to America and had a major role in a US TV show (exactly what Tennant, Smith, Gillan, Tate and others all did - tried to break Hollywood), he did a few (shit) films as well - and then when he came back he started getting regular BBC drama commissions again. He sells this as an exile, as because he'd pissed off the BBC he had to leave and go to the US until stuff calmed down, but I find that had to believe. Like, his trajectory after Who was exactly the same as everybody else's... and does the memory of BBC producers/casting directors really not last longer than five or six years?

I just don't get it. It's well documented that series 1 had terrible production problems that led to a negative atmosphere on set, so there's no denying that, but it's interesting to me that to him it's so much worse than as reported by Piper or Barrowman, or any of the key actors who worked with the same team in subsequent years. Though Boak, the guy who was apparently the real problem, was never invited back. But it sounded like his problem was Boak, and then he subsequently had problems with Gardner, Collinson and Davies because they didn't discipline or remove Boak. But I also can't help but feel like Chris himself was part of the problem, too, because principled as he is he also comes across as... well, this is a man who stood on a Hollywood red carpet for a major movie (Thor 2, which is admittedly shit) and said in a red carpet interview that he thought the script was poor and that he only did the film because "i've got a mortgage to pay". And then a few years later he complained about the Hollywood work drying up! Like, fuck me, I wonder why...

I'm just reminded a bit of how Tom shit all over the show and everybody involved for thirty years, then suddenly had some huge change of heart and is now all over it again.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I know someone who knows Chris, and by all accounts he's a very private but lovely guy. Passionate, articulate and not afraid to say something's not working for him.

I didn't know anything about the eating disorder stuff that's come out lately and feel for him. I enjoyed his Doctor a lot, probably my favourite of the modern era. There was just a nice freewheeling feel of his Season that felt different to what came after - they'd found their feet as a production team by the time Tenant came in so it started to feel 'slicker'. (I appreciate people's beefs with his season, like the farting alien stuff, but Nines character is first rate)

There's some sterling work throughout Ecclestons career, the duds aren't that many. Hope he keeps on getting regular work, have liked him since his Cracker / Shallow Grave / Our Friends in the North Days and would recommend them to all.

Oh, the short mini series 'Second Coming' is decent too if you can track it down that he did with Davies from Who

Edit: Conversely, just read AP's post above - can't say I disagree with any of that either.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
He was my introduction to the Doctor, and I really hold his version of the character in high regard. I'm somewhat... relieved to hear his side of the story, even though it's a sad one.
Same. Never really dug deep into what actually happened there as I came to the series as Matt Smith was taking over the role, but he was a fantastic introduction into Doctor Who and would have liked him to stick around longer. That said, I still have a soft spot for David Tennant when it comes to the new Doctors.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
As others have said, the writing has been terrible so I find it hard to rate her due to that. I would honestly say it is the weakest season so far with maybe one stand out episode in Rosa. I have no idea what is going on behind the scenes, but I am hoping there has been a shake up in the writing staff.

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017
Isnt Eccleston supposed to be notoriously difficult?
I think he has a rep as such, but at the same time I think he's just a very principled guy who doesn't love the bullshit that comes with the job and isn't very good at keeping his mouth shut about it. I think he's also very, very private , so whilst he's apparently very pleasant he's not necessarily the sort of guy who ends up being everyone's best pal, which then can lead to people reacting a bit less sympathetically to him and some of the stuff he comes out with.

No doubting the guy's talent and commitment to his craft, though.

DeathyBoy

Oct 29, 2017
Under my Hela Hela
I don't doubt DW was tough for Chris, that he struggled, and that he clashed with the producers a lot...

But Piper, Barrowman and Clark were right there for all of it, and they stayed on the show for years and kept coming back even after they'd left as regulars. So I think maybe, just maybe, Chris E wasn't cut out for a long running, very intense schedule of a TV show.

Which is fine. It happens.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
I don't doubt DW was tough for Chris, that he struggled, and that he clashed with the producers a lot...

But Piper, Barrowman and Clark were right there for all of it, and they stayed on the show for years and kept coming back even after they'd left as regulars. So I think maybe, just maybe, Chris E wasn't cut out for a long running, very intense schedule of a TV show.

Which is fine. It happens.

They may have been able to handle the political side better than he did. Paid their dues, keeps their heads down, bided their time until the bad people left etc. That aspect seems to have eluded Ecclestone from how he's described working there.