• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Slowdive

Oct 25, 2017
Thought this was thread-worthy as he said before he would never return for TV.

I've never been a fan of multi-Doctor stories. When I worked on the series, I had really strong ideas about what works and what doesn't, and I always think that multi-Doctor stories are a bit of a cash-in, and a bit of exploitation.

"Creatively, they never worked for me. I looked at the script for the 50th anniversary and I felt as soon as I said I wasn't doing it it got better because, well, if I'm not in it, it's better. The creation of the War Doctor introduced a whole new facet to the canon."

Interestingly though, a later comment from Eccleston suggested he would consider returning to Doctor Who in live-action for a solo storyline following the Ninth Doctor.
He added: "The Ninth Doctor, in particular, is a one-man band. Definitely. So he doesn't work with other Doctors. If you want me back, you'd get me on my own."

https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/sci-fi/christopher-eccleston-doctor-who-return-newsupdate/

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
This is putting the ball back to the producer's court, but in a way that he knows is never going to happen.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
Well he had his chance for exactly that before he left the show.

blackhawk163

Oct 28, 2017
Didn't he hate how he and the other actors were being treated on set, or something in that flavor?

Love him and Tennant.

OP
OP
Slowdive

Slowdive

Oct 25, 2017

He said he would never return or do cons, then he did Big Finish audios and did cons. Then he said he was just happy doing the audios and wouldn't return for TV, now he says this, I doubt it, but it wouldn't really surprise me if he did work with RTD again even after everything that happened.

Captain_Vyse

Jun 24, 2020
He said he would never return or do cons, then he did Big Finish audios and did cons. Then he said he was just happy doing the audios and wouldn't return for TV, now he says this, I doubt it, but it wouldn't really surprise me if he did work with RTD again even after everything that happened.

Given what happened between Eccleston and RTD I don't see them working together again. Maybe there's a small chance with a different producer, but it seems like there's too much bad blood between them. Eccleston still seems bitter and hurt from what happened.

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
Honestly he had a good single season run and worked really well but I don't think there's all that much more to do with him. Even timeline wise, there aren't many opportunities for him to have more adventures beyond the ones he had with Rose. Unless we're going to retcon the clear implication that meeting Rose happened very shortly after his regeneration. Or pull some Moffat-style nonsense and say that he had 3000 years of adventures during the time frame of Boom Town or something.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
I feel like its a bit much to take a single line and frame it as him demanding he gets his own series when actually he is describing how he thinks the episode is better without him and just doesn't like those sort of stories.

He's not actually suggesting it.

Oct 25, 2017
Hey, that's the warmest answer he's given to that question yet.
He did his first dedicated Doctor Who convention a couple years back, and that experience directly led to him being receptive to returning to the role in audio for Big Finish. And he did! Now that he's done that, he's saying he'd be potentially open to a televised appearance as long as it isn't a multi-doctor novelty cash-in.
Dude is warming back up to the part.

Maybe in a few years they might coax him back for a one time feature special that has the 9th doctor on his own. In a show about time travel there's always a way to play with chronology. Could even tie it into the ongoing series easily enough despite the one-man-show mandate, have whatever current doctor totally incapacitated and leave it to the 9th doctor to set the situation straight solo. I think there could be some fun drama in discovering his future self in a dire state, perhaps even some complicated feelings about whether he should even get involved at all, shades of depression.

But probably not while Russel T is in charge.

Last edited:

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
He sounded a bit frustrated on the radio last week when asked about returning "Me and RTD, I don't think so.. no thank you very much" I can't imagine him being in the 60th episodes, even just a stand alone special episode for the 9th doctor.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I'd imagine any return would be similar to the Obi-Wan or Picard shows, where they're essentially their own thing primarily showcasing the main actor as opposed to being part of the overall universe, if that makes sense.

Mar 11, 2020
But why should anyone want him back? He wasn't particularly great and he didn't want it? I don't get the people who care about getting him back. Why??

Mar 11, 2020
He was a fantastic Doctor, with a lot of people calling for him to come back over the years whenever talk of the anniversaries pop up.
He was ok, so many did better, but he didn't want it and doesn't. I don't get clamoring for someone who clearly didn't and doesn't care and why would you want that? Why subject him to something he thought was dumb and clearly cares nothing for the role

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I liked him better than the more mainstream very popular 10th Doctor. I thought The 9th Doctor was more mysterious and alien, a bit prickly but compelling.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Id be down to see him back. Dr Who has come a long way from his series Id love to see him a bit updated.

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even a 10 minute Paul Mcgann esque job would suffice, though I doubt he'd agree to that. Still my favourite.

Oct 25, 2017
He was ok, so many did better, but he didn't want it and doesn't. I don't get clamoring for someone who clearly didn't and doesn't care and why would you want that? Why subject him to something he thought was dumb and clearly cares nothing for the role
At what point has he ever expressed that he thinks it's dumb and cares nothing for the role?

He had major and warranted issues with the production of the first series.
He's since come back to record new Big Finish stories and has only ever expressed fondness for the role in what interviews I've seen.

EternalDarko

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not a doctor who fan so I didn't really follow it...

But I swear there was a thread on Era a few months back saying that they were making a standalone set of episodes that had Eccleston coming back as Doctor who (though not the version that he previously played)... Maybe I'm going mad and that was in another dimension...

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
I'm not a doctor who fan so I didn't really follow it...

But I swear there was a thread on Era a few months back saying that they were making a standalone set of episodes that had Eccleston coming back as Doctor who (though not the version that he previously played)... Maybe I'm going mad and that was in another dimension...
You're thinking of David Tennant.

jimtothehum

Mar 23, 2018
I think the three Doctors that came after him were better, so I am just not particularly worried about him coming back. I think he was just ok in the role.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
It ain't happening, but I love that Chris has softened on Who in recent years. His work with Big Finish has been great so far.