• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SomeOneInaHat

Nov 9, 2017
The Rona's got more folks inside, ready for some fun.

Though, I imagine more of those craving next-gen would be actually experiencing it right now if not for the production troubles this pandemic has created. I feel ultra lucky to actually have one of these things, which leads me to believe the scarcity is driving the popularity of the console a little further than it would otherwise. It would be doing well, but the circumstances given have been a strange boon.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
RE8 is multiplat, but it was reveal at a Sony press conference and Capcom and Sony said it was next gen only. In other words, it played into Sony's 'we believe in next generation' tagline.

While Demon Souls is next-gen, it's still a revamp of an older game. But that on me not being clear and saying 'new' titles being next-gen.

Until Capcom officially announce it (which they haven't even if they may have implied it in an interview) RE8 is next gen only.

Other than that, we believe in generations doesn't mean no cross gen games from us. PS3 to PS4 had cross gen games too like LittleBig Planet 3.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
RE8 is multiplat, but it was reveal at a Sony press conference and Capcom and Sony said it was next gen only. In other words, it played into Sony's 'we believe in next generation' tagline.

While Demon Souls is next-gen, it's still a revamp of an older game. But that on me not being clear and saying 'new' titles being next-gen.
The mental gymnastics to call Sony liars...lol everything about the console is a clean break from PS4 besides b/c. You can't use the controller like xbox. The UI is revamped, it doesn't even have folders yet lol. You have games at launch that are only on PS5 and a bunch of stuff in the launch windows aka first year. But nope Horizon is on PS4 so Sony full of it...

Y'all need to put the shields down...

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Lol yeah let's continue to compare a hybrid system you can take on the go to consoles locked at the TV. This was stupid when switch (it's in the marketing, you can Switch how you play get it?)came out and is doubly so when the lite debuted. Also Japan likes potable consoles. Switch being more popular in Japan is not knock against the quality of other platforms. There's a cultural reason they like portable hardware. And I love how you gloss over the main reason ppl say PS4 is the market leader, it's where most of the business in the industry takes place.

So PS5 sells a gazillion units again and they are now back to being market leader? The logic doesn't make any sense. And you guys are just console warring. Switch/Ps is successful at the same time for a reason. It's different markets.

What does it matter if the Switch is a hybrid when talking about being the market leader?

Sony can be more competitive in Japan, but that aren't because they're not making software Japan wants. It isn't purely because it isn't portable, otherwise the Vita would have done better. The Media Create thread gives a far more in-depth reason why Sony is sinking in Japan and it isn't as cut and dry as 'not portable'.

And if it was all down to 'it's where most of the business in the industry takes place', the. Xbox One is more of a market leader since it gets more third-party business than Switch, yet almost no one says that.

Every generation is a new start. Just because the PS4 is the market leader doesn't automatically mean the PS5 is the market leader.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Well lets call it anecdotal, because I helped plenty of friends hunt down a PS4 for holiday 2014 and even into early 2015.

Stock was limited / sold out many places (I'm in US).

Same here. It was not easy to get a PS4 during 2014's fall. Only in early 2015 could i walk into a store and see plenty of them in stock.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Lol yeah let's continue to compare a hybrid system you can take on the go to consoles locked at the TV. This was stupid when switch (it's in the marketing, you can Switch how you play get it?)came out and is doubly so when the lite debuted. Also Japan likes potable consoles. Switch being more popular in Japan is not knock against the quality of other platforms. There's a cultural reason they like portable hardware. And I love how you gloss over the main reason ppl say PS4 is the market leader, it's where most of the business in the industry takes place.

So PS5 sells a gazillion units again and they are now back to being market leader? The logic doesn't make any sense. And you guys are just console warring. Switch/Ps is successful at the same time for a reason. It's different markets.

I also don't get why people keep comparing the Switch with home consoles. It is literally 2 consoles in 1. It attracts not only an audience that plays from home, but also the ones that do so with portables. I mean...isn't there a Switch model that's just portable? And its sales are being counted together with the regular Switch?

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

RE8 isn't even confirmed as cross gen yet unless something change the developer just said they were looking into it. Either way that game has nothing to do with Sony and their next gen mantra which is more than just games but a new UI, controller and store. The PS5 is clearly a break from the PS4.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
The mental gymnastics to call Sony liars...lol everything about the console is a clean break from PS4 besides b/c. You can't use the controller like xbox. The UI is revamped, it doesn't even have folders yet lol. You have games at launch that are only on PS5 and a bunch of stuff in the launch windows aka first year. But nope Horizon is on PS4 so Sony full of it...

Y'all need to put the shields down...

Now you're putting words in my month. When did I call Sony liars?

My entire post was about how Sony saw an opportunity to attack Microsoft over cross-gen and show off several games that were 'next generation' in Spider-Man MM, HZD sequel, and RE8. Then months later those games were revealed as cross-gen, the very thing that they were mocking Microsoft over for months and they did it in a press release after their conference.

Did it make them lairs, no since they never actually said they were next generation only outside of RE8, but that's on Capcom. Does it make them pretty scummy, IMO yes.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
What does it matter if the Switch is a hybrid when talking about being the market leader?

Sony can be more competitive in Japan, but that aren't because they're not making software Japan wants. It isn't purely because it isn't portable, otherwise the Vita would have done better. The Media Create thread gives a far more in-depth reason why Sony is sinking in Japan and it isn't as cut and dry as 'not portable'.

And if it was all down to 'it's where most of the business in the industry takes place', the. Xbox One is more of a market leader since it gets more third-party business than Switch, yet almost no one says that.

Every generation is a new start. Just because the PS4 is the market leader doesn't automatically mean the PS5 is the market leader.
Vita did not have monster Hunter...Media create is a warrior back rub where Nintnedo fans make fun of other platforms for not being popular in Japan anymore so no I don't go into them anymore. but I don't need to to have insight in the Japanese market.

No one said it did...I'm just saying you're launched aligned argument doesn't make a market leader. And again you're comparing apples to oranges. Last week there was 5 switches in my house when a few kids came over. When it was Minecraft time they all gathered on one PS4, but that doesn't matter cuz reasons.

No one is scummy lol it's all marketing..the launch for PS5 does indeed show off what the console can do just like they said...You're dismissing demons souls cuz you just don't like Sony. Logically it doesn't add up

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
I'll wait for the official numbers but I wouldn't doubt it. I really like the console more than I thought I would. It has made the wait for a 3080 Ti much much easier.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
They said to during financial report they will sold more consoles than PS4. PS4 reach 7.5 millions 31st march 2014. At least 7.6 millions. ZhugeEX thinks they will sold in between 8 to 10 millions PS5 until 31st march 2021.

5 million?

Where the hell are the units?

10 million is a lot for the holidays. Doesn't feel like that kind of supply but it's also hard to say because it's all being sold online.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
RE8 isn't even confirmed as cross gen yet unless something change the developer just said they were looking into it. Either way that game has nothing to do with Sony and their next gen mantra which is more than just games but a new UI, controller and store. The PS5 is clearly a break from the PS4.

Missing the point. The thing Sony was mocking Microsoft over was next cross-gen games. Not the hardware were no one claimed wasn't next-generation and a break from Xbox One. What was scummy wasn't them having cross-gen games because every new console have cross-gen games. The issue was them mocking Microsoft over it and then revealing that they were doing the same thing.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
It's wild that it will be bigger than PS4 and yet I got that easily and I can't get a PS5 to save my life. I wonder what is going on with that?

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Until Capcom officially announce it (which they haven't even if they may have implied it in an interview) RE8 is next gen only.

Other than that, we believe in generations doesn't mean no cross gen games from us. PS3 to PS4 had cross gen games too like LittleBig Planet 3.

Except they did implied that when they joined the circle jerk when Microsoft made their cross-gen plans clear. Remember all those 'Microsoft is holding back next-Gen' threads?

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Missing the point. The thing Sony was mocking Microsoft over was next cross-gen games. Not the hardware were no one claimed wasn't next-generation and a break from Xbox One. What was scummy wasn't them having cross-gen games because every new console have cross-gen games. The issue was them mocking Microsoft over it and then revealing that they were doing the same thing.

Can you quote where they mock MS about cross-gen? I don't remember this happening. As far as I remember Sony was laser focused on their marketing plan.

Deleted member 63122

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 16, 2020
Can you quote where they mock MS about cross-gen? I don't remember this happening. As far as I remember Sony was laser focused on their marketing plan.
I don't know if they mock Xbox directly, but I remember Twitter and here and the whole we believe in generations thing. A lot of people were saying that MS was hoding gaming back because of the Cross gen games.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America

I think the user maybe referring to how sony continually reiterated their commitment to "generations" and obfuscated how both Spud-Morales and HZD II FW were cross gen title till a tweet with a photo or some-such showed up. It was a deliberate move on Sony's marketing part, no two ways about it.

That said, their overall marketing strategy seems to have been on point.

Akela

Oct 28, 2017
We might not have "consoles are dead" people but the "this is the last generation of consoles" people are live and well:

People can say that consoles are essentially "PCs" now internally (in the most abstract sense), but I don't see how opening them up and adding PC-like features is really going to make them appeal to any more people. Nobody wants to do Excel work on their TV.

It's like the idea of docking your smartphone to a monitor and turning it into a full blown desktop (Samsung DeX and such) - it sounds cool, but ultimately there's not much demand for it since people are mostly content with their phones being appliances rather then general purpose computers.

And getting rid of generations wouldn't suddenly make consoles into PCs either. The iPhone is still a phone even if they bring out a new one every year.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Vita did not have monster Hunter...Media create is a warrior back rub where Nintnedo fans make fun of other platforms for not being popular in Japan anymore so no I don't go into them anymore. but I don't need to to have insight in the Japanese market.

No one said it did...I'm just saying you're launched aligned argument doesn't make a market leader. And again you're comparing apples to oranges. Last week there was 5 switches in my house when a few kids came over. When it was Minecraft time they all gathered on one PS4, but that doesn't matter cuz reasons.

No one is scummy lol it's all marketing..the launch for PS5 does indeed show off what the console can do just like they said...You're dismissing demons souls cuz you just don't like Sony. Logically it doesn't add up

It was more than MH Vita was missing. Vita had a lot of issues and it shows just being portable doesn't mean you will find success in Japan.

The poster who runs the Media Create thread isn't a Nintendo console warrior and gives very clear points why Sony struggles in Japan and practically gave up with how they handled the PS5. So you should read their posts.

I literally only gave the reasons why people say Nintendo is the market leader. I didn't even say if I agreed or not.

And it isn't just launch alignment. Switch is doing Wii numbers and broke the record for being the best selling console in the US. In short, the Switch has been on fire for almost two years and it isn't slowing down since more third-parties are supporting the Switch, especially with Capcom finally giving real support that isn't their over priced old ports.

That anecdotal. Nice to hear, but it really doesn't add or prove anything. So yeah, your personal experience doesn't matter in this context and neither does mines.

Sony did some scummy marketing, plain and simple. Because they mocked Microsoft for months over cross-gen games and then reveal in a press release after their big conference that several games that we were led to believe was next gen only wasn't. Granted, many thought Spider-Man MM was cross-gen, but much like God of War, Sony was coed about it.

Yeah, I hate Sony. Whatever.

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017

hardware is equally important as software.
the nintendo games didn't help the Wii U to become a success, yet those same titles (Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Splatoon) are exploding on the Switch.
Unless Sony doesn't change their hardware strategy and make a hybrid themself, i don't see how more japanese software would drastically change the situation. It's a unique market where portability is key.
Buying a 65 Oled TV with a big ass console (with their small rooms, houses, flats) is just not appealing over there as it is in the west

They had Monster Hunter, Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy 7 Remake, Kingdom Hearts + the other major japanese third party Franchises and yet the Ps4 is not doing much better than the Ps3.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Except they did implied that when they joined the circle jerk when Microsoft made their cross-gen plans clear. Remember all those 'Microsoft is holding back next-Gen' threads?

Threads on Era are not proof of what Sony promoted. We believe in generation doesn't mean no cross gen games. There are PS5 exclusive games announced and Demon Souls is next gen only. Provide actual proof.

Deleted member 2328

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At least in Europe you can't go to any Playstation social media outlets without an angry mob of comments asking where is the stock.
Whatever number of units Sony was able to have ready for launch, they sold everything.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
Threads on Era are not proof of what Sony promoted. We believe in generation doesn't mean no cross gen games. There are PS5 exclusive games announced and Demon Souls is next gen only. Provide actual proof.

And this is not only games, media told the PS5 feels next gen because of new OS and dualsense controller. Astro Playroom, Demon's soul's and Ratchet and Clanck Rift Aprt are next gen only.

And we add 3d audio for all headphones too.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017

Why would it matter if the Switch was a hybrid? If being a hybrid allows you to sell dramatically more hardware and software than the competition should become hybrids naturally lol (note, I am not saying the competition should or needs to become hybrids). It's not like 90% of the Switch's library is exclusive. The bulk of it is shared with other platforms including the PS4. They are in competition and naturally they should be compared.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017

If you mean did they call out Microsoft by name, no they didn't. But everyone knew who Sony was talking about in their 'we believe in next generation' line and that line wasn't about hardware. From there, they let the Internet do the rest. Here's the quote here:https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ga...ing-that-can-only-be-enjoyed-on-playstation-5

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

RE8 is still next-gen only, there was a rumor a few weeks back about Capcom exploring PS4 and XBO versions but nothing more

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
In resetera, when a company claims to do the opposite of another company, it's mocking.

But by all accounts their approach is the opposite. But yes you are right everything one company does is viewed through the lens of the other company.

I don't know if they mock Xbox directly, but I remember Twitter and here and the whole we believe in generations thing. A lot of people were saying that MS was hoding gaming back because of the Cross gen games.

Cross gen games do limit game development though. It doesn't however hold the industry back. The industry moves on when the market dictates. No one liked cross gen games until MS made it apart of their marketing campaign.

I think the user maybe referring to how sony continually reiterated their commitment to "generations" and obfuscated how both Spud-Morales and HZD II FW were cross gen title till a tweet with a photo or some-such showed up. It was a deliberate move on Sony's marketing part, no two ways about it.

Weren't those games announced as cross gen before the launch of the PS5? Were they purposely vague at initial reveal? Yes. But plenty of games get announced without platforms and no one throws a fit. If they were really trying to hide it seems they wouldn't of launched the PS4 versions until early next year. In the end those games being cross gen in no way negates Jim Ryan saying they believe in generations when looking at the PS5 as a whole

OT: Anyone know a way to insert multiple quotes without having to delete your last six months of quotes just to get to the ones I want?

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ

They have...cuz it's just marketing words...it's why you remaster Spider-Man and Mario games instead of everything being infinitely b/c. Money...Some of this cross gen stuff is definitely media created. Sony has done the same thing every gen basically. They want to make software that takes advantage of the hardware as soon as possible so it's desirable. They did that IMO. Have no idea why ppl get hung up on what games are cross gen like the devs have no say in it. Generations never meant we won't support PS4 anymore with our big games.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Weren't those games announced as cross gen before the launch of the PS5? Were they purposely vague at initial reveal? Yes. But plenty of games get announced without platforms and no one throws a fit. If they were really trying to hide it seems they wouldn't of launched the PS4 versions until early next year. In the end those games being cross gen in no way negates Jim Ryan saying they believe in generations when looking at the PS5 as a whole

No. No platforms were announced but it was assumed to be PS5 exclusive given Sony's aforementioned talk of generations and the footage themselves looking stunning. And as the momentum built, Sony kept silent about the platform right up until the big blowout a couple of months ago after their last State of Play when pre-order related tweets started to go up and it was revealed that they were both cross-gen titles. Personally, I found that to be highly manipulative on Sony's part.

Again, it bears repeating and remembering that corporations are not our friends. It is about selling their products with the most effective marketing strategy.

OT: Anyone know a way to insert multiple quotes without having to delete your last six months of quotes just to get to the ones I want?

Well, you can use the "quote" function at the bottom beside the "Reply" option and select multiple posts that way. And when you come to Reply box section, the option to Insert multiple quotes should be available to you.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
the nintendo games didn't help the Wii U to become a success, yet those same titles (Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Splatoon) are exploding on the Switch.
Unless Sony doesn't change their hardware strategy and make a hybrid themself, i don't see how more japanese software would drastically change the situation. It's a unique market where portability is key.
Buying a 65 Oled TV with a big ass console (with their small rooms, houses, flats) is just not appealing over there as it is in the west

They had Monster Hunter, Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy 7 Remake, Kingdom Hearts + the other major japanese third party Franchises and yet the Ps4 is not doing much better than the Ps3.

Wii U had a lot of issues. One them being the Wii U's marketing sucked.

I said that they can compete in Japan, not necessarily beat Nintendo. But they can't even do that because they don't even try to make games Japan wants. When I say 'they' I mean Sony's first-party.

FF massively fall off in Japan since it has become more western focused which happened to a lot of big Japanese companies like how RE fall off, MH on consoles was going to have issues because most Japanese like playing that series portable which is why it blew up on the PSP despite the first games being PS2 games, DQ11 came out years after Sony showed it had no legs in Japan.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
It was more than MH Vita was missing. Vita had a lot of issues and it shows just being portable doesn't mean you will find success in Japan.

The poster who runs the Media Create thread isn't a Nintendo console warrior and gives very clear points why Sony struggles in Japan and practically gave up with how they handled the PS5. So you should read their posts.

I literally only gave the reasons why people say Nintendo is the market leader. I didn't even say if I agreed or not.

And it isn't just launch alignment. Switch is doing Wii numbers and broke the record for being the best selling console in the US. In short, the Switch has been on fire for almost two years and it isn't slowing down since more third-parties are supporting the Switch, especially with Capcom finally giving real support that isn't their over priced old ports.

That anecdotal. Nice to hear, but it really doesn't add or prove anything. So yeah, your personal experience doesn't matter in this context and neither does mines.

Sony did some scummy marketing, plain and simple. Because they mocked Microsoft for months over cross-gen games and then reveal in a press release after their big conference that several games that we were led to believe was next gen only wasn't. Granted, many thought Spider-Man MM was cross-gen, but much like God of War, Sony was coed about it.

Ok bro...I'll give the benefit of since you took the time to rebuttal my points with some logic. I'm not really that interested in why Sony is sucking in Japan, but I'll take your word for it it's more than just the portable thing. Are we in agreement that's at least the biggest factor?

No rebuttal to anything else you wrote really besides Sony marketing being scummy, I think you are exaggerating how much they were even responding to MS with their rollout but agree to disagree.. Switch is awesome and indeed breaking records and does feel like Wii again. I just think it's appealing to different groups of gamers.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017

You need to remember, even on the shitacular WiiU, Mario Kart, Smash, Splatoon still outsold the vast vast bulk of PS4 games in Japan. Like outside of Monster Hunter World, Splatoon out sold every PS4 game on half the userbase. Hardware definitely matters but it is software that at least allowed Nintendo to ride out the WiiU and let it have disasterous but not way worse than possible sales.

Sony systems used to have a large diverse set of software and appealed to the general public and not just the 16-40 year old demographic. When the PS3 came along and botched the entirety of launch as well as that generation having a giant increase in development costs, most 3rd parties couldn't supply the PS3 with the software it typically enjoyed and the DS and Wii sucked all the air out of the expanded market since you could launch software much quicker. It isn't just about being a handheld or a hybrid. Sony systems just don't offer attractive software to anyone outside of that targeted demographic in Japan and Sony itself isn't pushing that software at all. At this point with less overall retail games available and longer dev times you need more evergreen software and expanded audience stuff to sustain hardware sales and that is not coming to PS systems nor is it pushed when it is there.

Every single one of those franchises is in decline in Japan though. Only MH has grown since the PS2 era and even it declined from PSP to 3DS. There needs to be new innovative franchises in addition to staples.

Note that I think Sony's current strategy is still easily the correct one. Whatever they lose in Japan they will make up 5x over in other markets that they gain in. But yeah, they haven't done anything to actually be competitive in Japan on the software side.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018

I don't know that I would consider Switch the market leader. Technically, sure, whoever sold the most hardware units the last calendar/fiscal year is the market leader. However, that's a very narrow and somewhat arbitrary distinction. If a console that has been averaging 20 million units per year for 5 years is outsold by one million units by a console in its second year, is the newer console the market leader? What if the newer console sold significantly less software? But even putting the financial distinction of what a market leader is (in terms of general discussions on a gaming website) it seems weird to classify a publisher as the market leader whenever it still has and likely will continue to have significant third party software holes. Even more than the weird nature of comparing consoles in different stages of their generation, the idea of a market leader implies to me there industry is taking into account that market leader and changes things accordingly, ya know? Like Apple is a market leader so a lot of apps/developers take into account getting into the Apple store. Generally the Switch selling so well isn't changing EA/Activision/2K, etc. and the games they make and the hardware targets for them.

This is probably pedantic, but then again the idea of a market leader in the gaming space doesn't seem very applicable.