• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017

Since Sony is yet to comment on the launch, thought this was an interesting tidbit on how well the PS5 is doing.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
FYI

PS4 sold trough 2.1M units in 17 days
  • 1.4M in North America in 17 days (including 1M in 24 hours)
  • 700k in Europe/AUS-NZ/Asia in 3 days
And the biggest console launch (PS4) was 4.5M unit sold-in for its launch quarter

Oct 31, 2017
Didn't they already say they sold as many PS5's in 12 hours of launch or pre-orders as they had sold in 12 weeks of the PS4's release? So I can believe the numbers being ridiculous if that is true.

Sony pre-sold as many PS5 consoles in the first 12 hours in the United States as in the first 12 weeks for its predecessor PlayStation 4 device, Jim Ryan, CEO of Sony Interactive Entertainment, said in an interview.

"The demand as expressed by the level of pre-order has been very, very considerable," Ryan told Reuters.
Reuters - Sony seeing 'very considerable' PS5 demand ahead of launch

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
Yeah if Sony was able to make/deliver more units than PS4, then PS5 will definitely be a bigger launch/sell more. If they made 10m in the first 3 months I'd bet they'd all sell out even.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
That would be some insane feat if it manages to be the best selling console at launch in the middle of a pandemic (due to production).

The demand is clearly there, it's just a question on whether they were able to make enough at launch to beat the PS4 numbers.

Last edited:

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
FYI

PS4 sold trough 2.1M units in 17 days
  • 1.4M in North America in 17 days (including 1M in 24 hours)
  • 700k in Europe/AUS-NZ/Asia in 3 days
And the biggest console launch (PS4) was 4.5M unit sold-in for its launch quarter
They could've easily doubled or tripled those first 17 days if they manufactured enough imo

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Thats surprising.

Where I live in PA it definitely feels like there were less units being released compared to the PS4.

Maybe things seem different because everything is online.

But the Best Buys near me at least had really good stock of the PS4 for launch had black friday. Even Game Stops had decent stock, but I think a lot of it was horrible bundles.

grady

Oct 29, 2017
Bournemouth, UK
There was a digital queue of 200,000 people on one retailer website on launch day in the UK. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the launch numbers reach over 1m in Europe this time around (stock notwithstanding)

Feb 15, 2019
Didn't they already say they sold as many PS5's in 12 hours of launch or pre-orders as they had sold in 12 weeks of the PS4's release? So I can believe the numbers being ridiculous if that is true.

IIRC They said they sold as many in 12 hours of preorders as they sold in the first 12 weeks of the Ps4's preorder window. In the USA that is. It doesn't really give us any number as we don't know how many preorders were sold in the first 12 weeks.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I never witnessed such a wanted item. I got one stolen from Amazon driver (not a guess. It's 100%) and my friend another one. It's insanity. All French retailer announced some leftover stock within preorder on launch day. Every single one of them was broken. Website offline. Ps5 literally broke French internet.

Thanathorn

Dec 10, 2019
No surprises there. Happy to see consoles still killing it. I really wanna know Xbox numbers compared to Xbox One.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Don't most consoles completely sell out during their initial launch period? I was always under the impression that the title of "biggest launch" went to the console which managed to stock the most consoles.
Generally speaking yea, but it's still about demand. For example in month two you will be able to find an Xbox in some European counties. So how lkkg
These continue after day 1 month one launch is a good indicator of how much demand
There is for it.
Thats surprising.

Where I live in PA it definitely feels like there were less units being released compared to the PS4.

Maybe things seem different because everything is online.

But the Best Buys near me at least had really good stock of the PS4 for launch had black friday. Even Game Stops had decent stock, but I think a lot of it was horrible bundles.
they are probably producing more stock than PS4 because they were able to see how the demand was at that time. It will basically steam coast to 15M super fast with early adopters alone.

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
That would be some insane feat if it manages to be the best selling console at launch in the middle of a pandemic.

The demand is clearly there, it's just a question on whether they were able to make enough at launch to beat the PS4 numbers.
Gaming is really one of the only entertainment things you can do right now safely. A lot of people are struggling, but those who aren't have money and time to spend on gaming who wouldn't have normally.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Video games are constantly growing in popularity its not surprising really. There are more people buying consoles with each generation

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Thank god. I need PS5 to break ps4 records. It's quickly becoming a very sought after console. Everyone at my work has been searching for a PS5 and they are all jealous of me.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
they are probably producing more stock than PS4 because they were able to see how the demand was at that time. It will basically steam coast to 15M super fast with early adopters alone.
This guy obviously knows more than me. I am only speaking on anecdote.

But not a single one of my friends has been able to get a PS5. I have an order from Costco that has not shipped and I have tried more than a dozen times going back to launch. From my friends most of us were easily able to get a PS4 at or near launch. It was just more visible in general. Even on this board which is an enthusiast site it does not feel like the console is getting into many peoples' hands. If there were 2 million consoles sold in the US I really doubt they have been delivered.

And just because my little suburb doesn't have many of them in it doesn't speak to how many Sony delivered to the US or worldwide but for me at least it seems supply starved to go along with the insane demand.

I will say that things are crazy though so many he is right. I mean the Switch where I live is still not available on shelves for more than a few hours. When I went to my Target twice to look for a PS5 they were even sold out of PS4 and Xbox One. Vidoegames along with pasta and guns might just be the items that everyone wants during the pandemic.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
The pandemic has really helped both consoles and home entertainment in general. Most of Europe is on lockdown. The economic shock of the pandemic hasn't quite hit anywhere fully yet due to furlough schemes and equivalents. They couldn't have launched at a better time. Add all that to the fact that Sony has done a perfect job with marketing this year, and delivered with the launch lineup, and it's no surprise if it's the biggest launch ever.

All whilst Switch is breaking records of its own every month too.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
Gaming is really one of the only entertainment things you can do right now safely. A lot of people are struggling, but those who aren't have money and time to spend on gaming who wouldn't have normally.
I was thinking more from the production/logistical side that would impact the amount of units available and to be shipped out at a timely manner. To beat the production of the PS4 in a pandemic for launch would be quite the feat.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
I recall the Switch and PS4 being completely sold out for months. It would be interesting to see numbers shipped vs sold to determine whether there really is more demand for one vs the other. As is, "biggest launch" to me says nothing about demand beyond it being at least equal to the supply available.
Well that depends on what you're comparing. Demand for Switch right now is super high and it was hard to find at launch. And PS5 demand is probably larger than PS4 was due was at launch because Sony won back market share. This is all good signs for a super popular product.

xendless

Teyvat Traveler
Jan 23, 2019
I wonder what proportion they gave to each region
Europe is a feeding frenzy, you'd think they would have shipped a huge proportion here

Oct 27, 2017
That would be some insane feat if it manages to be the best selling console at launch in the middle of a pandemic.

Would it though? Gaming sales doesn't actually seem to have decreased at all because of the pandemic. If anything, they've increased with the only decline coming from the PS4/XBO HW which is expected when their successors are coming. And the Switch is having one of its best years ever and is breaking records