• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

I thought I should share the good news since there was the fundraiser that helped Christopher Ayres afford the surgery.

Source: Amanda Winn Lee (Twitter)

Voror

Oct 25, 2017
The whole concept of replacing lungs still feels nuts to me. Hope he's able to recover well.

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm so happy for him. He's so talented, and easily the best Freeza VA. Hope he has new material to work with after he recovers.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
That's great news! Hoping the emperor of the universe has a speedy recovery!

Tansut

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 16, 2017
Even as someone who prefers the sub, there's no denying he is perfect as Frieza.

I hope this results in nothing but happier and healthier days!

Scottius

Oct 31, 2017
I met Chris and his brother Greg at a convention before. Seemed like a nice guy, glad to hear he got this transplant.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Wow. Didn't even know he was sick. Glad to hear everything went well.
Yeah, there was a whole fundraiser that allowed Chris to afford the transplant. Christopher Ayres' understudy, Daman Mills, filled in for him as Frieza in DBFZ as well as a decent chunk of Dragon Ball Super. Ayres later came back part of the way through the Tournament of Power during the Toonami broadcast & re-recorded the ToP lines that Mills did for the Blu-Ray release.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, there was a whole fundraiser that allowed Chris to afford the transplant. Christopher Ayres' understudy, Daman Mills, filled in for him as Frieza in DBFZ as well as a decent chunk of Dragon Ball Super. Ayres later came back part of the way through the Tournament of Power during the Toonami broadcast & re-recorded the ToP lines that Mills did for the Blu-Ray release.

He also came back to play him in DBS Broly.

Ginger Hail

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, I can't even imagine what this must be like to go through. I'd heard about all this a while back so I'm glad he was able to get this transplant.

donkey

Sumo Digital Dev
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Nice! Dude's been a fantastic dub Frieza that stands next to Ryusei Nakao imho.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
Good he is going well.

RIP in the original owner of the lungs and major respect to them for donating their lung to extend another person's life.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The whole concept of replacing lungs still feels nuts to me. Hope he's able to recover well.
We're just biological machines, we got the technology to swap out a couple of our components.

Edit: holy shit I just realized this guy voices freiza. Makes my reference even better.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
It's amazing he managed to do the TOP and the Broly movie in that condition before the lung transplant. Talk about perfect timing since the dub just finished Super and he should get a good break to adjust before Super comes back.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This news worries me in some twisted way, where did the lungs come from?

Were they lab grown?

Edit: aaah. Donated from someone in the donor list. The real MVP.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
Even as someone who prefers the sub, there's no denying he is perfect as Frieza.

I hope this results in nothing but happier and healthier days!

Yeah, there aren't many performances I find even tolerable in the dub but there's no denying his is fantastic.

Glad to see things worked out for him.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
This is awesome news. I'm a big fan of Chris and am glad everything has appeared to have gone smoothly.
Wish him well on a speedy recovery!

Deleted member 5334

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Was about to post this on here and I see there was indeed a thread. Guess it got mixed with the shuffle of stuff that happened yesterday.

Either way, super happy and wish him a speed recovery. Though, I suppose it's probably gonna be a better part of the year while he recovers (usually 3-6 months typically), but I wish him, his wife, and rest of his friends and family the best and hope to see him back and up in full again!

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
I didn't really know of Chris by name, but weirdly enough now that I know he voices Frieza I can totally hear that being Greg's brother. I'm glad everything went well for him!

SatoAilDarko

Oct 25, 2017
Happy to see it. Hoping for little to no complications.

I was gonna say it was weird to me for him to be highlighted for Frieza a much more recent role for him but reading Wikipedia I switched him up with his brother Greg who did a lot of voices in in the anime I watched. I really haven't been able to keep up with anime this decade. Though Chris did voice the main guy in Gantz.

Kasumin

Nov 19, 2017
Lung transplants are a thing? Holy shit, that's amazing.

Hope he recovers well and all that.

Otakunofuji

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if he'll be able to keep doing voice acting. My sister had a double lung transplant and her voice changed - kind of husky-er and croakier - and even 6 years later I'm pretty sure she wouldn't be able to record lines for hours and hours and do repeated takes of screaming. Everything doesn't just go back to normal after they stuff new lungs into you.

Keywork

Oct 25, 2017
Lung transplants are a thing? Holy shit, that's amazing.

Hope he recovers well and all that.

Yes, and I know people on their 2nd and third double lung transplant. I myself will probably need one eventually due to my cystic fibrosis (terminal lung disease that is basically causing my lungs to slowly die due to continued infections, I have about 50% lung function at 35 years old).

falcondoc

Oct 29, 2017
Not do be debbie downer, but lung transplants have a poor long term outcome. He still has to beat the odds and a long road ahead of him.

Rooting for the best.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Not do be debbie downer, but lung transplants have a poor long term outcome. He still has to beat the odds and a long road ahead of him.

Rooting for the best.
For what it's worth, his girlfriend mentioned that he's gonna be okay

Hopefully this means good news for his long-term health. Though if nothing else, Chris is a S-tier trooper. He doesn't go down easy, as shown by him being able to stick it out until the transplant.