• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

addik

Oct 28, 2017
So, Christophe Gans was just interviewed by French site Allocine and casually dropped the fact that he is working on a new Silent Hill film adaptation and also a Fatal Frame film adaptation

via Rely on Horror and Allocine:
Christophe Gans, director of Brotherhood of the Wolf and the original 2006 Silent Hill movie, commented on his current projects during an interview with French film news site Allocine. Those projects? Well, you better read for yourself:

I have two horror film projects with Victor Hadida. I am working on the adaptation of the video game Project Zero (known as Fatal Frame in the United States, editor's note ). The film will take place in Japan. I especially don't want to uproot the game from its Japanese haunted house setting. And we're also working on a new Silent Hill. The project will always be anchored in this atmosphere of a small American town, ravaged by Puritanism. I think it's time to make a new one.

The interview in French can be read here.

Do remember that Christophe Gans worked on the first Silent Hill film and I frankly enjoyed it. Maybe if they get a modest budget and release it on a streaming site, it will do better since they won't have to answer as much to the big wigs. This is also pretty big for Fatal Frame fans because Hollywood was previously interested in adapting that to a film but never really did so.

Send this thread to the otherworld if old.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
I really liked his Silent Hill film (heard the sequel is awful tho, but I don't think he was involved in that one?) so I'm completely open to this.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Give us more Silent Hill!

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
First Silent Hill movie is still the best videogame adaptation. Gans is a very talented director. I hope his second movie in the franchise is just as good and captures the atmosphere of the first three games again.

Tigerfog

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
Absolutely loved the first SH movie's aesthetics (and loved the 2nd one too).
Can't wait to see what Christophe Gans comes up with.

OP
OP

addik

Oct 28, 2017
I really liked his Silent Hill film (heard the sequel is awful tho, but I don't think he was involved in that one?) so I'm completely open to this.

Yep, he wasn't!

I actually just learned today thanks to the article that he was invited back to do the sequel, but when he found out they wanted to make it to Resident Evil lite, he turned it down (and he hasn't actually watched the sequel lol)

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
While I don't have high hopes for these, the first SH movie (and Mortal Kombat I guess) are the only video game adaptations I can tolerate.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, he wasn't!

I actually just learned today thanks to the article that he was invited back to do the sequel, but when he found out they wanted to make it to Resident Evil lite, he turned it down (and he hasn't actually watched the sequel lol)
Does that mean he'd be opposed to directing a Resident Evil film, or just opposed to how the live action RE movies were? If he did, as well as Fatal Frame, he'd have the trifecta of survival horror film adaptations lol.

Ashilyn

Oct 27, 2017
The original Silent Hill movie was flawed but mostly well directed and the reverence for the source was really clear. If Gans can bring that magic to Fatal Frame I'm so here for it.

OP
OP

addik

Oct 28, 2017
Does that mean he'd be opposed to directing a Resident Evil film, or just opposed to how the live action RE movies were? If he did, as well as Fatal Frame, he'd have the trifecta of survival horror film adaptations lol.

I'm not entirely sure to be honest. Christophe Gans has mentioned several times he likes video games and Silent Hill is one of his favorites, which is why he wanted to direct its film adaptation. I wouldn't say that he's opposed to doing a Resident Evil film, but it's pretty clear that Silent Hill was one of his passion projects and he just didn't want to be involved in a Silent Hill project that was a cashcow attempt without any respect to its source material.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
Was never a fan of this guy. He was the one that changed the main character of the first movie from male to female because he felt it was unrealistic of a man (Harry) to go through hell to save his daughter.

EDIT:

It quickly became clear however Harry never acted like a masculine character. He was constantly dizzy, fainting, talking to himself, screaming and in fact was very vulnerable. We didn't want to betray the nature of the game by changing the character's feelings and motivations, so we felt it was better to change to a female protagonist and retain all those important qualities. I don't want people to think that I have been "politically correct" because we changed Harry into Rose. There is no political correctness in Silent Hill.

InfiniteKing

Oct 26, 2017

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
I like Fatal Frame a lot but just seeing the movie in my head and I dont see how it can be anything more than the PG-13 boo horror stuff like The Ring, Grudge, Connjuring etc.

Accoun

Oct 25, 2017
It's weird to hear about a western-made Fatal Frame since the series is Japanese as hell, but if they're staying in Japan instead of making it take part in the US it might work?

OP
OP

addik

Oct 28, 2017
Was never a fan of this guy. He was the one that changed the main character of the first movie from male to female because he felt it was unrealistic of a man (Harry) to go through hell to save his daughter.

EDIT:

This is one of the things I liked and don't like about the first film, honestly.

I understand changing the main character from male to female. On paper, imo, it was good. The first game somewhat talked about motherhood and having another mother be a foil to Dahlia would have been interesting in a narrative point of view.

Only, they never really dug deep into that theme and his reason for changing the main character was... that...

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
Silent Hill was good, all for another one by Gans.

Yeah, sequel's bad. They retconned damn near everything to be closer to the games (as I understand it), with the result that the plot was more confusing if you did see the first one.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Project Zero already has a (very loose, but good) film adaption , it's actually a lesbian film. Project Zero: A curse only girls can know.
8db03abc5b2e8b344146ae8878b0eb9dc3575952_hq.jpg

dotpatrick

Oct 28, 2017
I enjoyed the original Silent Hill film up until the massive exposition dump and ending. Second movie was a trash fire that I only remember because young Jon Snow is in it. I might be interested in a third film.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
Silent Hill 3 might see the light of day, but I won't hold my breath for the Fatal Frame movie.

That Sam Raimi produced movie based on Siren went nowhere, just like the Spielberg produced Fatal Frame movie went nowhere.

Reedirect

Oct 27, 2017
I'd be interested in both. We need more j-horror that isn't total trash and I feel like Gans could make it happen.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
It was clear that he was passionate about the Silent Hill franchise even though his adaptation was flawed and fairly uninteresting. It's still the second best video game movie of all time though.

Hopefully this actually happens (though I doubt it) and he can better realize his vision.

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
man i remember brotherhood of the wolf from way back then, dude should just make a bloodborne movie

Winston1

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If you look at the first Silent Hill movie as a high budget fan film (which it ultimately is) than it's really great. As a movie on its own....it's mostly fine aside from the terrible script. If Gans had a good writer working with him than I think he could make a legitimately good Silent Hill film.

leburn98

Nov 1, 2017
Hopefully it's all true, but I really hope a Silent Hill sequel happens. I loved Gans' work on the first and was really disappointed that he wasn't back for the second one.

The first Silent Hill film was a flawed film that changed a good bit of the video game's story, but their is no denying that the atmosphere and spirit of the game was on full display. I know that the changes to the story upset some, but as a fan of the games, I was fine with it. I've always believed that if you are going to change up the story of an established property (book, comic or video game), you need to at least nail the atmosphere of it. If you can get the look and feel just right, I'm willing to overlook the changes to the story.

I actually remember bringing my mother and sister along with my friend to see the first Silent Hill in theater. Neither my mother or sister knew it was based on a game and both ended up loving it. That Grey Children scene with their screeching majorly creeped me out the first time I saw it.

MrWonderworld

Sep 18, 2018
I liked the first Silent Hill movie. I hope he's able to produce a decent 3rd one. The 2nd one.. Yeah, let's not talk about that.

Oct 26, 2017
Christophe Gans? Well colour me interested. The first movie was good, and I had hoped to see him revisit this universe.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The first Silent Hill movie was pretty good and would have assuredly been better if the producers hadn't forced Gans to rewrite the screenplay just to add male characters.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Glad to see I'm not the only one that enjoyed the first Silent Hill movie. Hope that these films turn out to at least be decent.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
This is exciting news. The first Silent Hill film is 2/3 of a good movie. The last act is where it stumbles. Even still, it gets the most important aspect of Silent Hill absolutely right: the look and atmosphere of the place.

I hope Gans can really nail the story this time.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
www.relyonhorror.com

Christophe Gans Announces New Silent Hill Movie (and Fatal Frame)

Step into the silver screen fog once again as original Silent Hill Movie director Christophe Gans announces a third motion picture adaption!

Christophe Gans, director of Brotherhood of the Wolf and the original 2006 Silent Hill movie, commented on his current projects during an interview with French film news site Allocine. Those projects? Well, you better read for yourself:

I have two horror film projects with Victor Hadida. I am working on the adaptation of the video game Project Zero (known as Fatal Frame in the United States, editor's note ). The film will take place in Japan. I especially don't want to uproot the game from its Japanese haunted house setting. And we're also working on a new Silent Hill. The project will always be anchored in this atmosphere of a small American town, ravaged by Puritanism. I think it's time to make a new one.

He was the director of the first Silent Hill film (the 2006 one), and had nothing to do with Revelations 3D (the sequel). He has officially announced this, to see how development goes, but a bit unexpected. There was word there was an American Fatal Frame movie in the works, but the director and if it was still in the works wasn't known until now.

EDIT: I found out there was a thread on EtcetEra about this I had missed in my searches, but I'm choosing to leave this topic open as it is Gaming news and that thread didn't focus on the Fatal Frame movie he's apparently also directing, and sounds like is his current main focus.

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
I'll bite, the first movie is gorgeous and is mostly pretty solid but has some serious flaws. Hopefully this new adaptation is less focused on inserting Pyramid Head and OTT gore where it doesn't belong