• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CarpeDeezNutz

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I wasn't a big fan of Christmas music until I had kids. Now I look forward to this time of year. And it's not like it's hard to avoid it anyway, I guess unless your job plays it nonstop.

Oct 25, 2017
The real blight on Christmas music is that the current standard is to cover songs that are 60 years old because you want to recreate a boomer's childhood every year. Effectively, it spits on the medium and is anti-art in its stagnation.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
I love Christmas music. Getting older sucks and it transports you back. In a way it's depressing because it reminds me of how much of an event Christmas was. So much excitement with parties, presents, and vacation which that week and a half felt like an eternity.

Rhomega

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
This is why I created my own Christmas playlist on Spotify. The big thing is Now That's What I Call Christmas, which features the original versions of songs, except for It's The Most Wonderful Time of the Year, had to get the Andy Williams version separate. Also included are Trans-Siberian Orchestra's Christmas Eve and Other Stories, the Home Alone soundtrack, Enya's And Winter Came, and Brian Setzer's Boogie Woogie Christmas.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
You're only getting "joy" from it because marketers, corporations, and other capitalists tell you that you should like this otherwise nothing music. It's like a Pavlovian response

Nah not true there isa lot more to it than that. Obviously the foundation is built on that, but the fact that for many people this is the only time you actually see your family, and the music evokes memories of times with family and the excitement growing up where it comes from. Again it was born out of capitalism, but at this point it's about nostalgia for many people.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
I understand but you're wrong. Without it we wouldn't have this.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
The only acceptable Christmas music is the soundtrack to a Charlie Brown Christmas. The rest is garbage. So you're Only partially right OP.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Love it. Don't care. It's the songs that really capture the essence of family at Christmas that mean a lot to me.

NeverWas

Feb 28, 2019
25 years ago, I worked in a grocery store during the Christmas season. I have hated Christmas music ever since.

gig

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
People that unironically say they hate Christmas music are either only listening to the radio or top Christmas playlists on Spotify.

Dig a little people. Expand your horizons. Saying you hate all Christmas music is like saying you hate all Rap music. There's more out there than you could ever listen to in your lifetime and there's a 0% chance you hate all of it.

Zac Dynamite

Oct 27, 2017
Mathismas is one my favorite times of the year because it's when Johnny Mathis, the greatest singer the world has ever known, gets his time to shine!

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017
The music industry is a blight on music. There's nothing inherently wrong with Christmas music; it's the cynical cookie cutter recycling of the same handful of tunes that's the problem.

One of the greatest jazz albums of all time is a Christmas album.

Theecliff

Oct 28, 2017
Nat King Cole's The Christmas Song is one of my favourite songs of all time. no other song makes me feel so warm on the inside. if only for that Christmas music gets a pass from me

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
CHRISTMAS BELLS THOSE CHRISTMAS BELLS
RING OUT FROM THE LANNNND
ASKING PEACE OF ALL THE WORLD
AND GOOD WILL TO MAN

Freakzilla

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Christmas is the only holiday I enjoy and I love everything Christmas. I even subscribe to Sling so I can put on toy commercials for the kids. I absolutely love Christmas music. Once they start playing it non stop on the radio, it's all I listen to, that and giantbomb.

Deleted member 60582

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 12, 2019
You're only getting "joy" from it because marketers, corporations, and other capitalists tell you that you should like this otherwise nothing music. It's like a Pavlovian response

ScornfulLiveDachshund-size_restricted.gif

AcridMeat

Oct 26, 2017
Working retail over the holidays has ruined all of it.

How can you put Paul McCartney's crap on a short rotation in a store...that's just torture.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
Working retail 100% ruined most christmas music for me.

I like the Sufjan Stevens and Low christmas albums a good bit thought, because I like getting sad as hell during the holidays.

How can you put Paul McCartney's crap on a short rotation in a store...that's just torture.
Paul McCartney Christmas music should be a fucking crime. So good on never hearing Wonderful Christmastime for the rest of my life.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
The moon is right

The spirits up

We're here tonight

And that's enough

SIMPLY

HAVING

A WONDERFUL

CHRISTMAS TIME

Cbrun44

Out of college, almost two decades ago, I worked for a year or so at a Container Store. Christmas music started the day after Halloween. And it was on for the next two months straight. I'm not afraid to admit I kind of liked it.

Reym

Jul 15, 2019
There've been lots of great songs added to the holiday over the years, but I'm gonna go ahead and admit that both The Christmas Song and Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas still legit cause me to tear up (like, emotional tear up, not necessarily sad). Even some of the older songs still hold up.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Nobody actually likes Christmas music, they just enjoy the nostalgic feelings of Christmas it's associated with. It's only function is to make giant corporations money who can shit out the same 4 songs sung by different performers and make bank off of commercial sales and radio stations playing it constantly. All it is is pure consumerism wrapped with a veneer of wholesomeness. The fact that entire radio stations dedicate themselves to playing only Christmas music is an embarrassment to our society and our musical tastes.

To the people who enjoy Christmas music, Santa wouldve given you coal for your absolute shit taste.

So you don't like any of the below?

Fairytale of New York (The Pogues & Kirsty McColl)

Christmas Wrapping (The Waitresses)

Merry Christmas Everyone (Shakin' Stevens)

Last Christmas (Wham)

Zackat

Oct 25, 2017
Its fine as long as my coworkers don't start playing it until after at least Black Friday