• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
My holiday games are always CiNG games, incredible adventure games with engrossing stories and this tint of blues coming out of the gorgeous music and visuals.

Hotel Dusk and Last Window were like revelations to me. The saga of Kyle Hyde developing through these games as he tries to find closure and purpose in his life was something that was as powerful as it was surreal. It was both about a murder mystery and about the small cracks in your daily life, these moments where you feel like you have nowhere to go and nothing to do.

5a9e4fa59baf0b661bba7efeak.png

The Kyle Hyde saga was also about entering the personal spaces of people around you, and looking at a snapshot of people's struggles, may they be strangers or friends, all being linked towards a singular event : a specific day waiting for something to happen or the eviction of a building. The end is in sight, it's all about preparing to see what's on other side.

It was helped with character portraits that managed to convey expressiveness in a way that are still unrivaled to me. Use of rotoscopy, coupled with a brush style makes characters pop out. Never static, always moving, it felt like they were real people, which was something further cemented with the excellent writing from adventure game veteran Rika Suzuki.

1420504721-4630-noels56eje.gif
tumblr_oqqhr5i3um1rd590dle.gif
similaradolescentchicbqish.gif

Last Window is particularly interesting because it happens during christmas season. As all the tenants are evicted of the building that is soon to be demolished, all the neighbours that you barely knew before are now all linked together as they all are forced to leave something behind whether they want it or not. Hotel Dusk and Last Window works on the same level of urgency, where what you lose is your past. you decide what you have to bring with you forward, may it be hope for the future, or the regrets of the past.

CiNG also made other great adventure games, like the Another Code/Trace Memory series, also showing great care in depicting a child coming to grips with loss and family bonds through the years. The sequel, Another Code R, shows Ashley as a teenager trying to reunite with a father she has almost never met before, trying to find in her how she can find a place for a person that is important to her. Dealing with the awkwardness of a teenager not yet knowing how to deal with their feelings is something that is particularly hard to pull off, and yet this game manages to do it. It feels like a believable evolution of the character, just like Kyle Hyde evolved between the two games.

It's also why CiNG was so good, they did not write static characters, they write characters that are tasked with a new set of problems, but with the baggage they lived through in previous games. What you see is not just a new character, or a reboot. It's the very same character, but different in how they feel about themselves, and how they see the world around them. It's great.

_____

Unfortunately, CiNG went bankrupt. Nintendo was interested in games showcasing the capabilities of the Nintendo DS, but they were not interested in story-driven games. Rika Suzuki said this about Nintendo:

"Nintendo and Cing shared the goal of utilising the new features of the DS, such as the touch panel, to make new kinds of puzzle-adventure games that would attract new gamers to the DS. That was a success, but Nintendo was not that interested in games that could be enjoyed only once - they called it a 'consumable game' - so it was not possible to continue."

Now that Nintendo owns CiNG's IPs, I've come to terms that it will forever be locked in their vault, never to be unearthed again, even if the original studio were to come back. It is even more sad since we know that there were ideas about a third chapter of the Kyle Hyde saga, and even the idea of a crossover between Kyle Hyde and an adult Ashley Mizuki. It's also something that we have to leave behind in a way.

What are your memories of CiNG games ? There's also the peculiar Glass Rose, and also Again and Little King's Story of note that some of us might have played.

UsoEwin

Banned
Jul 14, 2018
Hotel Dusk was the game that got me into Visual Novels. Both a blessing, and a curse.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
Great, now you've made me sad :(

Also, Hotel Dusk is one of the greatest game ever made. Another Code is incredible too, but Hotel Dusk was my first Cing game and it's impact on me can't be overstated.

Oct 27, 2017
All these years later, and I'm still salty we didn't get Another Code R and Last Window in North America. I need to import them and pick up the slack on my own.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
I'm sad :(
Hotel Dusk is still one of my favourite games.
The graphics, the music, the mechanics, the story. Everything together makes for an amazing game.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
Everytime i remember Cing i feel sadness.

Hotel Dusk/Last window are two of the best adventure games ever. people talk about "realistic" games... well, this is how you deliver a realistic game with believable characters without Marvel-like abilities and without being able to shoot 100 person without blinking. Kyle Hyde, as a person, can be anyone, can be even you or me.
Christmas, is a very strong memory when linked to those games, for a reason anyone who played them should know.

Thank you, Rika Suzuki, for writing those stories. I'm grateful.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
It's funny, with all my love for Danganronpa, Aeana has been talking to me about how I need to play games made by this studio today. Coincidences!

Semajer

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo should have saved CiNG, got them to continue these two series while reviving Famicom Detective Club. I'm also pissed that they've mislabeled the Kyle Hyde spirit in Smash Ultimate.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I remember enjoying Hotel Dusk back in the day, but also being very annoyed by its flaws. That said, my appreciation for it has definitely grown over the years.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
Aw man, I still remember when I got Last Window. Importing games to Peru wasn't that easy at the time and I was lucky enough to be traveling around Europe to get a physical copy.

The loss of CiNG is one of the biggest tragedies of the industry.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I disagree with Nintendo's (hopefully outdated) position -- I love "consumable games." Thinking back, Hotel Dusk and Another Code were among the first games that made me realize this; I love the medium, and I'm completely okay with sitting down to have a short but engrossing, one-time experience (notwithstanding revisiting the game, as you would re-watch a movie or re-read a book).

I miss CiNG, and I wish the powers that be at Nintendo had felt differently, because they would certainly have been at home on the Wii, Wii U and Switch. Seeing
Kyle Hyde
as a spirit in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate sure is bittersweet.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Just takes me back to a time when Japanese adventure games were on the rise again (the biggest wave to ever hit the West, I think, actually). What an exciting time that was for me. Hotel Dusk was leading the charge along with Ace Attorney and the DS was this unstoppable force. Big reason why 3DS will never come close to the original DS for me (which carried over a little bit onto the Wii). All those cool and niche Japanese adventure games like the ones CiNG were putting out.

Hotel Dusk was such an amazing game, Last Window is such a melancholic experience knowing this was the last time. Kyle was a really memorable and cool character that you don't get much of in Japanese games media nowadays (only in manga).

Did anyone play that short 3DS eShop game from some of the same team that they put out? Cold Case or something?

I played Glass Rose on PS2, one of their earliest games (a collab project with Capcom and Cavia who would become known for Nier and Drakengard). That was a cool game as well that had a nice atmosphere to it (reminded me of Konami's Shadows of Memories) and really cool box art. The plot was rather batshit crazy involving time travel and murder mystery, all set in a massive Japanese mansion and a weird cast.

Corky

Alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
Hotel Dusk was good. A game that had so much atmosphere the moment it started.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
Hotel Dusk is in my top 10 favorite games of all time. Last Window is amazing too, really need to replay it.

And yeah Cing going under was a real shame. Kyle Hyde deserved more games.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Aw. I did hear it was Nintendo that convinced CiNG to file for bankruptcy amd in the end business is business.

I'm just glad they held on as long as they did. I played Another Code R, the final CiNG game I missed this summer and it was indeed bittersweet and emotional for me. I felt very depressed they're gone but I hope something like what they did will find its way again. I just wish we would see more of Rika's writing in games because she writes with a level of humanity that almost nobody has been able to no matter how good they are, in this industry.

Prof Bathtub

Apr 26, 2018
I do think Little King's Story was the CiNG title that would have benfitied more from being Nintendo-owned, since mobile ports would be feasible for their more story-driven titles if they had been published by other companies.

Though Nintendo probably would see LKS as redundant when Pikmin exists, so it just comes down to which niche series you prefer.

Lirose

May 30, 2018
The Hotel Dusk and Trace Memory games are so good. IIRC, some of the CiNG staff did produce a short eshop game for 3DS few years back with characters that looked similar to Hotel Dusk but I never did get around to trying it out.

starfox

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Portugal
Jesus, why today of all days? Cing everyday narrative lines and unique anti-garbage anime characters made their games jewels of the novel/book gaming.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Hotel Dusk is my favorite DS game and Last Window is my second favorite. Such great games I wish Cing was still around.

Wasn't a huge fan of Trace Memory. I only played the DS one but never got around to playing the Wii one. Maybe some day I'll try it.

Oct 26, 2017
I finally picked up Last Window off of EBay after nearly a decade of vacillating on it. Prolly gonna give it a spin tomorrow. Hotel Dusk was definitely one of my all time fave game stories. A shame we won't get follow ups. Imagine how lovely this art style could've been on Switch :(

OP
OP
Dreamboum

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Jesus, why today of all days? Cing everyday narrative lines and unique anti-garbage anime characters made their games jewels of the novel/book gaming.

They're my holiday games !

I finally picked up Last Window off of EBay after nearly a decade of vacillating on it. Prolly gonna give it a spin tomorrow. Hotel Dusk was definitely one of my all time fave game stories. A shame we won't get follow ups. Imagine how lovely this art style could've been on Switch :(

Last Window is great, it's a more personal story and Kyle Hyde having his own apartment means you get to know more of him

Deleted member 4609

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Hotel Dusk and Trace Memory games are so good. IIRC, some of the CiNG staff did produce a short eshop game for 3DS few years back with characters that looked similar to Hotel Dusk but I never did get around to trying it out.

Yeah, Chase. Sadly, it was more of a paid demo to test the waters than an actual game, Shame it was never meant to be.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
I still need to play Last Window someday. It's getting rarer and expensive, wish Nintendo would have re-released it on Wii U's VC.

I also wonder what those games would look like in high Res with the Neural AI that has been the rage those past few days?

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
Hotel Dusk and Last Window are two of my favorite games and I have yet to play a game that gives me the same zen feeling and heartwarming feeling. Maybe the original Shenmue. Kyle Hyde will always be a favorite character of mine.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Somehow their games left a charming sense of nostalgia; with characters that feels like people you would find around.
anothercoder.jpg

Axelstream

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the post. Hotel Dusk and Last Window are among my all time favorites. Just thinking about them makes me want to speak in clipped sentences and sip bourbon. They hit my sweetspot.

Also, the soundtrack is from my dreams.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Yeah, just got through the first two chapters in Hotel Dusk and it's great. The mood and atmosphere is super on point and definitely clicked with me. Pretty into the OST so far as well.

Also damn, the artstyle for the character portraits is really impressive and unique.

I like that it's set in a small location that you, I presume, get intimately familiar with.

OP
OP
Dreamboum

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, just got through the first two chapters in Hotel Dusk and it's great. The mood and atmosphere is super on point and definitely clicked with me. Pretty into the OST so far as well.

Also damn, the artstyle for the character portraits is really impressive and unique.

I like that it's set in a small location that you, I presume, get intimately familiar with.

Yes, and it all goes by so fast. You hardly spend a full day in the hotel.

Oct 25, 2017
the christmas section of last window is really something special, and definitely my favorite bit of any cing game. the combination of all the usual tumult and unpredictability of kyle's life with some lovely interpersonal scenes really highlights the appeal of the series for me. plus, the precision strike of a certain returning character just.... gets me every time. it's so good.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Yes, and it all goes by so fast. You hardly spend a full day in the hotel.

Yeah, just finished it yesterday. Lovely experience with a whole cast of believable and truly memorable characters. Pretty invested to check out their other projects, especially if they share a similar mood to Hotel Dusk

Now I'm wondering if I should import Last Window and immediately continue Kyle Hyde's story or grab Another Code next.

OP
OP
Dreamboum

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Got sad thinking about Kyle Hyde again. Did you know that the director and original artist of the series Taisuke Kanasaki drew Kyle Hyde and Ashley Mizuki last year? Hope it gives you some healing even if we'll never live to see a sequel.

dxijiiewkaabiza.jpglajakve.jpg

jpgn2kc5.jpg

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Rika Suzuki needs to come back to the industry. In fact she's still halfway in. Working on internet VNs.

Taisuke Kanasaki was the game director of their games and Rika Suzuki acted as the company VP and writer/scenario director for their games. She wrote Kyle Hyde and Ashley Mizuki Robbins and all those people, although I noticed there were senior scriptwriters listed in Another Code R. Maybe that has always been true but I didn't think so.

You can subscribe to Kanasaki on Patreon who does drawings sometimes and still works freelance as an illustrator for certain games such as Jake Hunter. I still wish we could get in closer contact with Rika's work here overseas but it'll be alright.

Their legacy is fantastic, and they're games that stay in my library for life.

He appreciates your fanart.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
I'm very sad &__&
Losing Cing was like losing a treasure.

Their games are some of the best games I've ever played. I love every single one of them. Kyle Hyde is one of the best main characters I've seen, he's so realistic and reliable, not a (super hero) in any way, he's just a lonely person in his thirties.

People who talk about how games shouldn't revolve around violence all the time... why didn't you play Hotel Dusk or Trace Memory?

I can't get over what happened to Cing even to this day. Their games were very high quality: fantastic storytelling by Rika Suzuki and excellent localization (some of the best in the industry), great and melancholic music, fun puzzles... and just great games all around.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you Dreamboum for making this thread! Been following this thread all the way since last december when you made it.

Those artworks that you posted are so beautiful, just makes it even more sad that Cing employees (after the company went bankrupt) stated to Nintendo UK magazine in an interview that they had planned for Kyle Hyde and Ashley Robbins to actually meet in a future game. Breaks my heart we'll never see either character again together or separate :( Both Trace Memory and the Hotel Dusk series hold such a special place in my heart.

I have a tradition that I do every single year. I play the Hotel Dusk/Last Window games/chapters at the days and times it happens in game in real life (I.e Chapter 1 I start at 5pm on December 28th, etc.... Has been my December tradition for almost a decade now. The writing, characters, story, music everything about Hotel Dusk/Last Window is so great and never loses its touch each year.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Hotel Dusk was fantastic. I have a lot of fond memories of that one because I bought it when there was an electrical outing in my city and we had no power for two weeks. I would lay on the couch in candle light at night playing Hotel Dusk and charge my DS while I was at work. Made that power outage for two weeks something I kinda cherished.

I never played Last Window. I should get on that.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
I love the style, characters, and story of Cing games but the gameplay was often a bit clunky.

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
Got sad thinking about Kyle Hyde again. Did you know that the director and original artist of the series Taisuke Kanasaki drew Kyle Hyde and Ashley Mizuki last year? Hope it gives you some healing even if we'll never live to see a sequel.

dxijiiewkaabiza.jpglajakve.jpg

jpgn2kc5.jpg
I get incredibly sad whenever this thread pops up. Knowing that we'll likely never get another Cing game breaks me, especially whenever I replay Last Window and see Kyle's life finally start to shift.

Burbank

Sep 9, 2018
Pangea
I don't know if my DS still works. Is there another way to play Hotel Dusk? I got stuck pretty early bit I loved the style and feeling of the game.

Edit: I mean without buying a 3DS, is there a console port/phone or good emulator?

Edit 2: Seems to be some emulators, no ports. But I'm thinking the best experience would be to just borrow a DS Lite/3DS.

Last edited: