• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Presumably, Finn's confession — which he never got the chance to make — is that he's Force-sensitive?

Well, you can read that how you want to. There are some people who read it as Finn having feelings for Rey; there are some who read it as Finn trying to make that Force-related confession. What's undeniable is that in the middle of the battle, when the source of the navigation signal is changed, Finn has a very strong sense of where it is, and that's knowledge he couldn't really have unless he was using the Force. So, the story is certainly pointing that way, and then, in the moment of Rey's death… I shouldn't use the word death because death is a complicated word there… But in the moment — it's not a death per se — when the life is going out of Rey, Finn can feel her and her last breaths. He stops and feels Rey. Chewie and Jannah don't understand it as they're in the frame behind him. When Rey is breathing what seemed to be her last breaths and almost all of the life is drained out of her, Finn can feel it.

At the end of The Last Jedi, Luke sacrificed his life to save the Resistance, inspire the next generation of heroes (broom boys/girls) and spark the rest of the galaxy to rise up and fight. A year later in The Rise of Skywalker, Poe mentions twice how the galaxy is still afraid and in need of hope. Why did Luke's sacrifice fail to provide the hope that the galaxy needed to join the fight, something Lando ultimately pulled off in the third act?

I don't want to over-explain our intentions in the film, and I'd leave it to the audience to draw causal connections between events. But, I will say this: there's no reason to think that Luke's sacrifice wasn't what inspired the galaxy. Lando rounded up the allies, but clearly something has changed in the galaxy since the Battle of Crait. The galaxy answers the call this time. I can't speak for anyone except myself, but in The Last Jedi, we are given a privileged moment with the children on Canto Bight. The audience understands — though perhaps the Resistance does not yet understand — that something is changing in the galaxy at that moment. In my mind at least, the legend of Skywalker and of his sacrifice is taking root in the consciousness of the galaxy. Again, I won't presume to decode the film, but when the galaxy answers this time around, I sure as hell wouldn't contradict anyone who draws a connection between the sacrifice of Skywalker, the final scene in TLJ, and the galaxy coming when called at the climax of TROS. It's all one story.

Since the soundtrack on Tatooine is titled "A New Home," is Rey now living on Tatooine even though it's a return to the isolation she suffered on Jakku?

I can say with confidence that neither the screenplay nor the film suggest that Rey is going to live alone on Tatooine. The track names on the soundtrack were at the discretion of the master himself, John Williams. I can't presume to say what John meant when he titled the piece "A New Home," but I can say that Rey's arc over three films has to do with her finding the belonging she seeks with the new family she's found inside the Resistance. The very last thing Rey would do after all that is to go and live alone in a desert. In our thinking, Rey goes back to Tatooine as a pilgrimage in honor of her two Skywalker masters. Leia's childhood home, Alderaan, no longer exists, but Luke's childhood home, Tatooine, does. Rey brings the sabers there to honor the Skywalker twins by laying them to rest -- together, finally -- where it all began. The farthest planet from the bright center of the universe, but a beautiful and peaceful place to bury two sacred objects.

Did Luke and Leia discuss Rey's ancestry after the Battle of Crait, once Luke had passed? Their interaction on Crait seemed like their first conversation in a really long time. Plus, Luke mentioned "Darth Sidious" during his "training" of Rey in VIII, and he didn't seem to bat an eyelash over Palpatine's granddaughter standing right in front of him.

This one I have to leave to the imagination of the viewer. But, I don't think it would be wrong to assume that Luke's Force Ghost would seek out his Force-sensitive, Jedi-trained sister.

Much more at: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/h...ord-straight-perceived-last-jedi-jabs-1265168

Ow if old

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
i like his explanation about the galaxy answering the call this time.

but still....

JeffGubb

Giant Bomb
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
There was no reason to assume Luke's sacrifice didn't inspire the galaxy other than the fact that there's absolutely zero reference to it throughout the movie.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
I don't want to over-explain our intentions in the film, and I'd leave it to the audience to draw causal connections between events. But, I will say this: there's no reason to think that Luke's sacrifice wasn't what inspired the galaxy. Lando rounded up the allies, but clearly something has changed in the galaxy since the Battle of Crait. The galaxy answers the call this time. I can't speak for anyone except myself, but in The Last Jedi, we are given a privileged moment with the children on Canto Bight. The audience understands — though perhaps the Resistance does not yet understand — that something is changing in the galaxy at that moment. In my mind at least, the legend of Skywalker and of his sacrifice is taking root in the consciousness of the galaxy. Again, I won't presume to decode the film, but when the galaxy answers this time around, I sure as hell wouldn't contradict anyone who draws a connection between the sacrifice of Skywalker, the final scene in TLJ, and the galaxy coming when called at the climax of TROS. It's all one story.

I know this is in English but I am having trouble parsing what he is saying...

OP
OP
DiipuSurotu

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know this is in English but I am having trouble parsing what he is saying...
He's basically saying that Luke's heroic feat did matter. If Lando went around the galaxy rallying people during the battle of Crait, no one would have followed him. But after the battle of Crait, he managed to do it partly because Luke had inspired the galaxy since.

Oct 29, 2017
It would have been great if Finn's force sensitivity had been expanded upon in TLJ at all, which would have helped make it more apparent and interesting in the finale of the trilogy. I love Finn as a character, and the fact that he is force sensitive. I just wish they explored it more in the second 2 films.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
This isn't even good hackery. Like all of this could have been mentioned in the film in one or two lines.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
These answers read like "Oh no! They're onto the fact I have little talent at writing a cohesive narrative. Say something confusing and nonsensical to distract them !"

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Lol. I like that Finn is basically just an anthropomorphized Fitbit for Rey.

JJ has now helmed two projects where the lead black character spends the majority of their screen time yelling another characters name.

"WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLTTTTTT!!!!!!"

"REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEYYYYYYYY!!!!!!"

Like did Finn yell Rey once in TLJ?

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That's a whole lot of "we'll leave that interpretation up to the audience"

What ended up on the screen is a Frankenstein's Monster of bad filmmaking decisions and Tier 3 Pandering that probably didn't even appease the Tier 3s anyway.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Rey Palpatine. What were the ins and outs of that significant choice?

We also thought that Rey's arc cannot be finished after Episode VIII. You can leave Episode VIII and say, "Well, now, Rey is content. She's discovered her parents aren't Skywalkers, or whatever, and that's fine." But so much of her personal story was about where she came from, what kept her on Jakku all those years and the trauma that shaped her. We see quite strongly in Episode VII that something mysterious and troubling happened to her. Although she did get some answers in Episode VIII, we didn't feel that that story was over. We felt that there were still more questions in Rey's head about where she came from and where she was going. So, that was the other big idea that we had to address in this film. Rian's answer to, "What's the worst news that Rey could receive?" was that she comes from junk traders, and that's true. She does come from junk traders; we didn't contradict that. But when J.J. and I spoke, he said, "Well, what's an even worse answer or elaboration of that news?" And we thought the worst answer was that she descended from the family who are the enemies of her new family, her adoptive family. Leia is a mother figure to Rey in a way that no one has ever been since she lost her real mother (Jodie Comer). So, the idea was that Rey, who's had inclinations towards the Dark Side, would learn in the course of this movie that Leia is training the descendant of her greatest enemy and that she has the Force strength of Leia's greatest enemy. Discovering that you actually descended from your adoptive family's greatest enemy, the same enemy who corrupted Anakin Skywalker and is responsible for the destruction of the Skywalker family in the first place, felt most devastating to us. Based on that, we were very moved by the idea that Leia would have known that from the very beginning, but since she still saw such hope, heart and spirit in Rey, she decided that she was going to take a chance on putting all the hope of the galaxy into the hands of a descendent of her greatest enemy. As Luke says, some things are stronger than blood. That felt like a really strong story point to us.

Therefore, at the end of the movie, when Rey declares herself a Skywalker, that felt like the end of that conversation, which is to say that you get to choose your family, and really, you get to choose your ancestry. Rey rejects the blood ancestry that she has inherited, and instead, she chooses the ancestry of the Jedi. When all the Jedi come to Rey at the end, one of the Jedi lightly says, "We are your ancestors now," in the background, and I think that's true. She chooses the spiritual ancestry of the Jedi instead of the blood ancestry of Palpatine.

This would be more poignant if it was earned. Alas, it wasn't.

I can'y buy Luke or Leia as her daddy and mommy. It feels too tacked on like corporation thought that keeping the Skywalker name around was good for marketing.

Bizazedo

Oct 28, 2017
He's basically saying that Luke's heroic feat did matter. If Lando went around the galaxy rallying people during the battle of Crait, no one would have followed him. But after the battle of Crait, he managed to do it partly because Luke had inspired the galaxy since.
The problem with this take is that the movie is one year later and the Resistance is still, in the movie, shown to be acknowledging that the Galaxy doesn't care.

Then the Final Order blows up ANOTHER planet and that if they're not stopped, that they'll do it again.

The end scene could be about hope, sure, but it also can be read as desperation / have to act now or forever lose.

Antoo

May 1, 2019
His Luke answer makes sense. The Rey one is common sense. Finn answer is dumb.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
That all seems like very basic plot points to connect together. Only thing I didn't get from watching the movie one time was Finn feeling the life going out of Rey. I do dislike these showrunners coming out with basic explanations of what's in the movie though especially when it's just base level stuff that anyone paying attention could and should put together or interpret. The Russo brothers did it a lot.

Oct 27, 2017
It would've been nice if some of these things were actually presented in a better way. Or at all. Clearly he had thought a lot about TLJ's influence on this film, but on screen it appears that they do what they can to minimize it in every way.

There was no reason to assume Luke's sacrifice didn't inspire the galaxy other than the fact that there's absolutely zero reference to it throughout the movie.

Yeah. Whoops.

Oct 29, 2017
This would be more poignant if it was earned. Alas, it wasn't.

I can'y buy Luke or Leia as her daddy and mommy. It feels too tacked on like corporation thought that keeping the Skywalker name around was good for marketing.

I've seen folks mention things like "earned", in this discussion. In what way was was this not "earned"? What would have had to happen in the film for it to have been "earned"? No disrespect, but I'm just trying to get a better understanding of this discussion point.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

We also thought that Rey's arc cannot be finished after Episode VIII. You can leave Episode VIII and say, "Well, now, Rey is content. She's discovered her parents aren't Skywalkers, or whatever, and that's fine." But so much of her personal story was about where she came from, what kept her on Jakku all those years and the trauma that shaped her. We see quite strongly in Episode VII that something mysterious and troubling happened to her. Although she did get some answers in Episode VIII, we didn't feel that that story was over. We felt that there were still more questions in Rey's head about where she came from and where she was going. So, that was the other big idea that we had to address in this film. Rian's answer to, "What's the worst news that Rey could receive?" was that she comes from junk traders, and that's true. She does come from junk traders; we didn't contradict that. But when J.J. and I spoke, he said, "Well, what's an even worse answer or elaboration of that news?"And we thought the worst answer was that she descended from the family who are the enemies of her new family, her adoptive family.

Leia is a mother figure to Rey in a way that no one has ever been since she lost her real mother (Jodie Comer). So, the idea was that Rey, who's had inclinations towards the Dark Side, would learn in the course of this movie that Leia is training the descendant of her greatest enemy and that she has the Force strength of Leia's greatest enemy. Discovering that you actually descended from your adoptive family's greatest enemy, the same enemy who corrupted Anakin Skywalker and is responsible for the destruction of the Skywalker family in the first place, felt most devastating to us. Based on that, we were very moved by the idea that Leia would have known that from the very beginning, but since she still saw such hope, heart and spirit in Rey, she decided that she was going to take a chance on putting all the hope of the galaxy into the hands of a descendent of her greatest enemy. As Luke says, some things are stronger than blood. That felt like a really strong story point to us.

Therefore, at the end of the movie, when Rey declares herself a Skywalker, that felt like the end of that conversation, which is to say that you get to choose your family, and really, you get to choose your ancestry. Rey rejects the blood ancestry that she has inherited, and instead, she chooses the ancestry of the Jedi. When all the Jedi come to Rey at the end, one of the Jedi lightly says, "We are your ancesto

I can buy this.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017

What does he mean by him then not trying to decode tlj? Why is he talking as a third person observer about what he has written (which I would think was based on his understanding of TLJ).

And the line about

The audience understands — though perhaps the Resistance does not yet understand — that something is changing in the galaxy at that moment.

wth does that mean? If the Resistance doesn't understand it, did Lando make his trip based on Thoughts and Prayers?

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't get why some writers feel the need to explain every point of a thing they were involved in that was literally just released.

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
Even when he tries to explain their thinking in making Rey a Palpatine I just can't not think it was needless and dumb. There's so much bombastic stuff in the film i just picture their script meeting like the below.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
I've seen folks mention things like "earned", in this discussion. In what way was was this not "earned"? What would have had to happen in the film for it to have been "earned"? No disrespect, but I'm just trying to get a better understanding of this discussion point.

I'd need to see them bond. One of the things that even Daisy said was that Rey looked for a father figure in Luke and didn't find it. He was just a grumpy man and the last convo they had in life was them fighting. Most of the real bonding between Rey and Leia also happened off-screen mostly because of Carrie's death not to mention that Rey knew these people for a year so it feels weird that she considers these two as her parents versus her actual parents who saved her life and raised her for the first 8 years of her life.

Anyways, Rey taking on the Skywalker name only really honors Luke Skywalker. Leia Organa's real father is Bail Organa.

Rey going to Tatooine to Luke's home to bury those lightsabers only really honors Luke just as Rey looking out at the binary sunset as her closing shot only really parallels Luke. And TLJ's whole thing is that Rey didn't bond with Luke but with Ben instead. It was one of TLJ's twists. Rather than bonding with Dumbledore, she bonded with Malfoy instead.

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
then why never mention the galaxy united because of luke? there is no hint, nothing. in the film (well, the german dubbing that i saw) they mention that it was all because of lando and nothing else.

and terrio uses so many words in that answer and says almost nothing. my translation: i wasnt allowed to draw a direct connection to luke/tlj but if the audience wants to, i will not object.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
giphy.gif

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The Finn confession bit is still sloppily executed. Part of it felt baity to satisfy the first part of the answer (audience interpretation) while to drag the mystery box out for as long as possible without a satisfying confession between Finn and Rey.

I think that's the rub with the movie. There's plenty of good ideas and set ups, but it's ultimately rushed, unfulfilled, and/or bungled depending on the subject within it.

Oct 28, 2017
A lot of this makes sense, but it just isn't really there in the film

Like "Poe learns from his mistakes and rashness in TLJ, becomes a good leader and is finally made general" is a cool plot.

But in TROS he never really acknowledges what happens in TLJ, doesn't evolve as a character and when he becomes general it seems pretty random, the only reason seems to be that everyone else is dead

CrocodileGrin

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
With everything being said in this interview, all it does it show poor editing, direction and writing if the movie wasn't able to address those missed points in the first place.

What's bad is that it never clicked with me until reading this that the burial of the lightsabers was a symbolic way to lay Luke and Leia to rest. I honestly thought they were setting up a sequel with two people in the future finding the sabers, possibly siblings, possibly one going to the light and the other the dark side because Disney has done nothing but be predictable and safe with their storytelling. Or at least the storytelling with JJ holding the reins.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
The problem is that a lot of this stuff doesn't come across in the film and instead we have to explain all sorts of stuff and introduce all sorts of new characters that don't do anything.

I wouldn't even have done the Palpatine thing. Kylo Ren is a great antagonist and just took power in TLJ. Let him be the Supreme Leader driven mad over Luke Skywalker and dark side whisperings from the helmet. He doesn't know that Luke is dead and just got humiliated by him. Yeah they could explain that he felt it through the Force but I think it would be better for that to drive him than to just explain away a valuable story hook from the previous film. Then you don't have to spend an hour of your last film creating a story out of nothing.

I can buy this.

To me it says you can choose to be good or evil, no matter your bloodline. But to be powerful and important, to even have that choice matter, you must have a powerful bloodline. In this case you must be a Skywalker or a Palpatine. TLJ said "Skywalker, Palpatine, or just Rey. It doesn't matter where you came from, it's the choices you make and what you believe in that make you a hero.". To me that's a much more poignant message and applies to the major arcs. Finn and Rey both find their families with the Resistance and Jedi, with the heroes, regardless of where they came from because they chose to do the right thing. They could've just continued that thread in RoS without her being a Palpatine and still have her earn the Skywalker name and still have it be just as meaningful without it being at best hokey and at worst, undermining a more powerful message.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Is this the guy that said Luke and Leia were never on tatooine together?

Maolfunction

Oct 27, 2017
This feels like a screenwriter listening to fans who are far more invested than he is in the subject and who have connected dots for him and he's just nodding his head and saying, "Yes, yes, we were totally thinking that too."

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
tl;dr we didn't have time to build any of these points so whether they work for you depends on how much you want to extrapolate bc we sure as hell couldn't

Also we don't have a finn answer really, so make up your own ending

And here I thought we were supposed to turn off our brains

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Dipshit fans that can't comprehend that in a vast galaxy filled with hundreds of planets, two special people might not be related.
Lol I wouldn't go that far but I was trying to say to my friend I found it heartbreaking in TLJ when Rey accepts her parents wre nobody, just horrible junk traders and won't be coming back, and it's inspiring if she conquers it; and he just, ' maybe a nice plot... but not Star Wars' To me Star Wars should be more than clichés. I never heard anyone who was happy about Palpatine grandaughter, it was just anti climactic and ticking off a box. Maybe people will get it now.

Deleted member 54292

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 27, 2019
I feel like the movie didn't really show the impact Luke created. Like damn, having Lando just show up with a huge fleet is great, but ya gotta develop that plot line within the movie to make it hit right. If Luke's sacrifice actually helped inspire them, show it! Rian trimmed a lot of fat that would have allowed for more character focused scenes to unfold, but the introduction of Palp and his fleet pretty much nixed that. This last movie was a chance to show how the galaxy ensures none of this happens again. 6 ended with a sense of victory and the galaxy just unraveled again, how is it going to be any different this time?

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
With everything being said in this interview, all it does it show poor editing, direction and writing if the movie wasn't able to address those missed points in the first place.

What's bad is that it never clicked with me until reading this that the burial of the lightsabers was a symbolic way to lay Luke and Leia to rest. I honestly thought they were setting up a sequel with two people in the future finding the sabers, possibly siblings, possibly one going to the light and the other the dark side because Disney has done nothing but be predictable and safe with their storytelling. Or at least the storytelling with JJ holding the reins.

Very likely that we're going to see those two lightsabers again being picked up by the next protagonist of the Skywalker Saga when they continue it again in Episode X.