• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017

This is a well researched piece that explains that Chris Rock was demeaning and undermining Black Women and Jada specifically as far back as 1997, with video clips showing how he undermined the 1 Million Women March, brought Jada on the show, undermined her activism to her face and even ended the interview my mocking her relationship with Will Smith

It should be clear by now that this wasn't just some "joke" but another move in a long standing inexplicable animosity Rock has for Jada, you don't keep targeting her in 1997, 2016 and 2022 completely by accident.

This is I feel important extra context to everything.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Will did nothing wrong. He shouldn't have apologized to Rock.

Fuck Chris Rock.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
While Will Smith's slapping of Chris Rock is the inciting incident for this video, this video and this thread is specifically about the history between Chris Rock and Jada Pinkett Smith, specifically Chris Rock's consistent animosity towards her. Keep the thread on topic; any posts litigating the incident at the Oscars will be subject to a month-long ban

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
The Slap wasn't even the first time Jada was targeted that night.

Regina Hall mocked her and her marriage earlier in the evening.

If you're the host or a presenter, maybe don't attack people who are audience members? Let her live her life. The whole night was mean-spirited toward her.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Chris is gonna have to come out and comment on all of this. Being a comedian doesn't give you carte blanche to just say whatever bigoted or dehumanizing things that pop in your head. Again at what point does targeted jokes veer into verbal bullying?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Does Chris just dislike Jada personally or something? Has he seriously had an axe to grind against her for this long?

Oct 27, 2017
Chris is gonna have to come out and comment on all of this. Being a comedian doesn't give you carte blanche to just say whatever bigoted or dehumanizing things that pop in your head. Again at what point does targeted jokes veer into verbal bullying?

If they're targeted, they don't, by the very definition of "targeted", veer. A bully, for whatever reason they have, repeatedly lands shots on their target because they know they can.

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
I posted this in a previous thread but some article noted that Will Smith once wished his ex-wife happy birthday on Instagram back in 2018, and Chris Rock made a comment saying "wow, you have a very understanding wife."

He's always just taking digs at her.

Keywork

Oct 25, 2017
does Jada have any "enemies"? i don't know her that well tbh, i've only heard she was in love with Tupac at some point (?)

Until a couple of years ago it was people getting riled up over a strong, black woman having her own voice and the societal side-eye of her and Will's relationship both together and how they raise their kids. That disdain towards her got taken to the next level when she admitted to sleeping with another guy and Will admitting it gutted him.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Does Chris just dislike Jada personally or something? Has he seriously had an axe to grind against her for this long?

This is "Black folks' business" going back to the 90s. It was known at the time, but it's catacombs at this point.

Reason why most of Black Twitter been forming like Voltron AGAINST Chris Rock.

Jarmel

Oct 25, 2017
New York
I posted this in a previous thread but some article noted that Will Smith once wished his ex-wife happy birthday on Instagram back in 2018, and Chris Rock made a comment saying "wow, you have a very understanding wife."

He's always just taking digs at her.
Eh, I think that's pretty harmless.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Ignoring Staff Post
Didn't Chris rock and her date back in the day?

Also kinda shocked how many people on here agree with what will smith did

OP
OP
excelsiorlef

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I think given how often he knows what she and Will say, that his claim that he had no idea about her condition should be met with healthy healthy fucking skepticism

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure if I'm willing to spent 15 minutes right now on what from my position would largely just be celebrity drama, but can I ask if there's a specific reason why the thumbnail is the episode of Fresh Prince where Chris Rock plays a guy and his sister? Was it around the filming of that episode where the antagonism started, or is that being brought up more as an example of his undermining of Black women in general?

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know about Jada specifically, but I was told that Chris Rock has a history of targeting Black women in his work.

There's only two explanations for me:

1) Chris is a misogynist, and he satisfies his craves by tagetting Black women because he knows the odds of people clapping back at him will be the lowest.
2) Chris feels some sort of ownership towards Black women, and it manifests in his work.

Either way, his comments testify to larger, deeper issues about him.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
This is "Black folks' business" going back to the 90s. It was known at the time, but it's catacombs at this point.

That'll do it. Ancient, buried bad blood and Chris decided to stick a pickaxe right into the vein.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
To more align with the staff post.

Yeah there is history there that provides context. This is the first thing I have seen that explores it.

Last edited:

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
kinda got the picture in since his joke about Jada at the Oscars back 2016 but like 1997? the fuck?

OP
OP
excelsiorlef

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure if I'm willing to spent 15 minutes right now on what from my position would largely just be celebrity drama, but can I ask if there's a specific reason why the thumbnail is the episode of Fresh Prince where Chris Rock plays a guy and his sister? Was it around the filming of that episode where the antagonism started, or is that being brought up more as an example of his undermining of Black women in general?

The second it's just an image to emphasize a misogyny visual

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
I think given how often he knows what she and Will say, that his claim that he had no idea about her condition should be met with healthy healthy fucking skepticism
It's a terrible fucking excuse even IF you believe him.

I'm sure before the show, a simple Google search of "Why is Jada Pinkett Smith bald?" would've given Alopecia as the first result, it wasn't a secret she hid.

He wanted to attack her, and he's feigning ignorance as a shield.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Can I ask a clarifying question without getting banned? What is "any post litigating the incident at the oscars" mean? Is saying, "I think will smith was justified to confront Chris Rock based on Chris Rock's 25-year-long antagonism of Jada" "litigating the oscars" ? Because that was my take on Sunday (although I didn't know it went back *this far,* I learned about the recent stuff that night), that's my take today, and I feel like without the context of the Oscars incident none of this would have come up, and I'd like to share it but jesus I don't want to have a month long ban for a conventional, benign take. If that's out of the rules please just PM me and I'll edit it to before taking a ban over it.

Last edited:

GrantDaNasty

Oct 27, 2017
For Chris to have this long drawn-out interview with Jada that felt...just awkward, and then have a dinner bell go off at the end and award her champagne for "not mentioning Will Smith".

Chris Rock either hates Jada, or he is really feeling Will Smith.

Jarmel

Oct 25, 2017
New York
In a vacuum sure, but not as much in a context where Rock has a history of going after her and people regularly mock the Smiths' marital relationship. Harmless was wishing his ex a happy birthday.
I get it, but even in context I feel that's fairly harmless as it's such a generic/broad joke that doesn't even refer to her by name. That doesn't feel intended to be a slight towards Jada.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Is saying, "I think will smith was justified to confront Chris Rock based on Chris Rock's 25-year-long antagonism of Jada" "litigating the oscars" ?
Yes.

At this point, every take has been exhausted and the well has been poisoned. If you didn't get it out on Era by now, too bad. You have the rest of the Internet to keep the flames going on an incident that is rife with bad blood, hypocrisy, and dogwhistling.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
The second it's just an image to emphasize a misogyny visual
Thanks, that makes sense.

If this is a long term pattern of action then it thoroughly erodes the benefit of the doubt that Chris Rock might hide behind when saying he's just making a GI Jane joke or whatever excuse he wants to make for himself while targeting his derision.

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
I get it, but even in context I feel that's fairly harmless as it's such a generic/broad joke that doesn't even refer to her by name. That doesn't feel intended to be a slight towards Jada.
It has no meaning other than being a slight towards Jada. They're not in 9th grade, wishing your ex a happy birthday isn't taboo in the slightest unless you're in an abusive relationship. It's just one more way he tried to get under their skin.

Isilia

Mar 11, 2019
US: PA
My family has already made their minds up about this, and no amount of extra detail (like this video) is seemingly changing their minds.

I really hope Chris has to answer for all this. No one should have to put up for this for a day let alone decades.

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
As far as the Million Woman March thing, he brought her on the show to talk about it. Was he really trying to "trivialize" it?

Nov 7, 2017
There have been rumours about Will and Jada having an open / bisexual marriage for years - it's likely gossip bullshit (and who actually cares regardless - good on them) but Rock's joke came off as not-subtly homophobic and a reference to this.

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019

I just want to say that "forming like Voltron against Chris Rock" is like the strongest sentence I have heard all day and thank you for saying it.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Black women really just get no respect it's insane and really depressing. Chris's joke was oddly targeted and this is more proof to give reasoning why he did it....dude definetly has sexist issues with Black Women and seems to laser focus that on Jada ...

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I figured what happened came from a place of tension just finally boiling over, most of which im sure has never been aired to the public. I think its foolish to habitually line-step years and years when the person you're testing isn't cool with you on that level. I'll give Rock the benefit of the doubt and assume that he probably thought throwing jabs once in a while would be "okay" with everyone involved. Why he said what he said is anyone's guess, but like any random personal beef either what happened will force them to confront their issues or just have each other on ice as they enter their 60's and beyond. I think the former is more healthy for all parties involved.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Center the Black woman who was the butt of the joke.

Can y'all do that?

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Someone here watched Everybody Hates Chris? Because it's filled with sexism

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Good video for adding necessary context to this relationship history.

As I've said before, we've heard Chris demean Jada for the last time. Perhaps he'll find a new black woman to beat up on. Seems to be his comfort zone.