• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I remember watching this when it first aired and being extremely uncomfortable at this segment. As someone else in the thread earlier said though, everything else was good, except for the one homophobic joke that was also made.

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't remotely controversial? The age isn't really relevant seeing as its trending again and being discussed actively. This is not a stand up show, not sure why CK even brings it up.

It's not controversial because in the context of the conversation, which is about an hour long, all they're really doing in unpacking and unraveling how comedy works or doesn't work.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Patrice O'Neal is about to be brought back to life just to be canceled when people find this.

ANTISOULLESS

Banned
Dec 5, 2018
San Diego
You have three comedians who love offensive humor and one that doesn't as much.

It's okay to be offended and it's also okay for them to use offensiveness in their comedy or not to use it. Each of these dudes is an example of an amazing comedian. There are also comedians who aren't good. And no matter what. As long as something like the n word, rape, etc is offensive and shocking to joke about. It'll be used. Bert Krischer has a bit with it in there. And contextually it makes sense and is relatively amusing.

At the end of the day. We need to be able to distinguish real insidious racism, like the ref who cut the hair, or the clippers dude vs comedians who latch on top shock or offensive humor.

Like rape scenes in movies I find pretty offensive. So I do not watch them. Like that fucking hills have eyes movie. Yeah.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
jerry with the subtle ether to louis

"well you found the humor in it. I never found it, nor do I seek it."

Last edited:

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Also ruined the retirements of untold numbers of secondary and tertiary cast members when syndications dumped it. Kramer did a fantastic amount of damage to all sorts of people with that shit. The main cast were already loaded, they can live without residuals. At least Mel Gibson mostly just destroyed his own career.
I don't have cable so I don't know if you're kidding or not, but are you saying stations dumped Seinfeld from syndication then? Michael Richards dropping the n-word was not recent and I'm pretty sure I've seen plenty of Seinfeld reruns on the few times I have been watching live tv since.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Ricky Gervais is insufferable, that one guy who knows he is neither funny or charming so he has to try to be the loudest and most obnoxious

200.gif

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Ricky is talented and inventive and legitimately clever, but he's always like, one Blog away from being the Euphoric Fedora.
This kind of already came to pass with his twitter feed. I stopped being into him as much when it turned out all he tweeted was "Gods not real, lol checkmate christians" what felt like every five minutes

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't have cable so I don't know if you're kidding or not, but are you saying stations dumped Seinfeld from syndication then? Michael Richards dropping the n-word was not recent and I'm pretty sure I've seen plenty of Seinfeld reruns on the few times I have been watching live tv since.

Sadly not kidding. It's still widely syndicated and will continue to be much more successful than even other massive hits since the format is so digestible -- but when this happened it was yanked and hiatus-ed by tons and tons of places at the peak of its rerun value - I don't know the numbers offhand but the combination of that effect and the momentum the show still had would have been devastating to folks relying on the residuals and other fees at the time - and that can be an irrecoverable "moment" that stretched for months or longer. Maybe years.

I'm not sure if if the syndication licensor or the individual networks or both did the pull, and it's hard to tell when /if it got back to normal. I have a friend who does licensing law in LA and this has rekindled my curiosity so I am gonna ask her for scoop or just insight.

Seinfeld isn't like a Night Court or even a Magnum - it was syndicated everywhere like mad, more like the Simpsons where you could absolutely guarantee multiple episodes a night no matter where you were. Not typical by any stretch of the imagination but those reruns have made a lot of people a lot of money.

Hardly the shows fault that one actor took a giant racist brainfart live on stage but the effect was dramatic and in the regard that it can't be undone, significant. One of the main cast (it might have been Larry David actually, maybe not a cast member) was talking about it in an interview a while (years?) later and it sounded really bad. Of course they might have been talking about producers or investors but it struck me at the time they were talking about less famous actors and characters.

And it's indellibly marked on a lot of folks' memories of the show. Still I guess you could argue the scandal replaced the final episode as the low point...

Chris McQueen

Self-requested ban
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
London
Yup, saw this explode on Black Twitter. I still can't believe Chris Rock just sitting there while Gervais & CKunt say that shit so casually!

Pricks.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I'd argue that the Chris Rock joke itself isn't bad, it's more that society isn't equipped to take it in properly. Maybe that's not a meaningful distinction though.
I guess it would be meaningful in how you decide to frame the conversation. If we're just talking about the so-called sacredness of comedy you can admit that the joke is funny and nothing else matters; I still find it so. If we're arguing about whether or not jokes can and should have ramifications that create lines in the sand, then it's a go-to example.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
All four of these comedians have aged horribly, but Seinfeld probably the least so. Something to be said about being bland as hell I guess.

ninjabot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fuck. I've never been the biggest Chris Rock fan when it comes to his comedy, but outside of that I liked him for being a legit famous black atheist who owns up to it. We need more of them... but not like him.

mangopositive

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Comedians have always felt they could get away with stuff other people can't. Part of it is being edgy, part if it is that a lot of people find really offensive humor funny. Not because it's offensive, but because of the shock of hearing it, often in a ridiculous context.

Oct 25, 2017
It took Black twitter this long to find out this video? This has been around forever.
Patrice O'Neal is about to be brought back to life just to be canceled when people find this.

Patrice hanging around Cumia so much was always kind of more problematic than this even though I always found him grilling him on his blatant racism hilarious.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
I wasn't mad at Louis CK's hard r joke. The one with the coffee.

But it's weird to see them so...happy, to say this word.

Good on Jerry for this one.

Oct 28, 2017
First rule I learned as a white guy many years ago hanging around my black friends...don't ever think you're too familiar to just start casually dropping that word.

You might be in a group of 4 black guys who don't seem bothered by it, but wait til the 5th guy walks up and all hell breaks loose