• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Jun 1, 2018
No I am not joking.
CR released a "Letter from the Chairman" yesterday:

robertsspaceindustries.com

Letter from the Chairman - Roberts Space Industries | Follow the development of Star Citizen and Squadron 42

Roberts Space Industries is the official go-to website for all news about Star Citizen and Squadron 42. It also hosts the online store for game items and merch, as well as all the community tools used by our fans.

We chose to build a game of Star Citizen's complexity and ambition, not because it is easy, but because it is hard. We are building a game that I, and I dare say all of you, have dreamed about since we first started playing games, a game that I never imagined could be possible due to the economics and technical challenges.

Together, as a community of developers and gamers, we are creating a fully immersive first-person science-fiction universe where you can seamlessly do anything and go anywhere, without compromise. We are building it as a shared communal experience where friends can meet, or new ones can be made; developers and players interact and riff off each other; and geographic boundaries and language barriers fall as the Star Citizen Community plays and bonds, welcoming both old and new pilots alike. If you haven't yet, take the time to watch today's newly released "One Community" Video, which conveys the powerful connections and friendships forming in the SC Community every day. It is these connections that bind us all together, not just as gamers, but as people. And in times like these, this is more important than ever.

And like Man in Kennedy's Moonshot speech, we have achieved a lot already in our quest for the stars; 64bit mathematical precision, allowing our game to have both millimeter detail and billions of kilometer scale, something no other commercial game engine has. Our planet tech allows us to render and simulate entire planets and moons down to the smallest rock or flower. If you can see it, you can travel there! The procedural tools we've developed allow our artists to "paint at scale" to create stunning and very specific environments. We can seamlessly transition between different physical simulations like local gravity in spaceship to the zero G of space, to the gravity of a planet rotating on its axis with our Physics Grid technology. The item port system allows us to break functionality into discrete components like power plants, shield generators, life support, doors, seats, thrusters, turrets, guns and many more, allowing systemic behavior in our spaceships, vehicles and environments. Our unified actor rig allows us to have the same animations and details in first and third person allowing for the richest possible multiplayer experience. We can arbitrarily stream in and out the universe around the player in the client or the server with Object Container Streaming, allowing us to only display and simulate the parts of the universe we need to. Our DNA facial tech allows you to blend different scanned human features together realistically to create believable human heads for your in-game character. Our Face-over-IP tech allows you to drive the facial motions of your in-game character as well as put your voice diegetically into the game.

No other game has all this functionality at once, done to the level of fidelity that we deliver.

Along the way we have built a company of over 640 people, split between five studios across four time zones, no small feat when we started with no office, zero employees and a few collaborators eight years ago!

Last edited:

Sage

Oct 27, 2017
Japan
The Apollo program missed a trick by not funding itself by selling people houses, rovers, etc on the moon they may access at some undetermined date between now and the end of the universe.

NuMiQ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
There was already a thread yesterday, didn't feel like replying there? Anyway, they also released that sq42 vid you've been screaming about for months now. Happy?

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
4a1cb8281daac5b13552bf4dc1a27338.gif

jdh96

One Winged Slayer
Jan 25, 2020
I can't wait for the inevitable documentary about Star Citizen.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Anyway, they also released that sq42 vid you've been screaming about for months now. Happy?

A few minute's worth of footage of someone navigating around various empty environments in debug mode and an hour's worth of talking heads giving contextless technical and process info.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
As farcical as the process has been I feel the thread title's somewhat incorrect. His letter's referencing the space program not comparing the game's development to it.

He's saying it's hard and they've achieved a lot but it doesn't read like he's saying the projects are apples for apples.

NuMiQ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
A few minute's worth of footage of someone navigating around various empty environments in debug mode and an hour's worth of talking heads giving contextless technical and process info.
Hey, that's what they said it would be, I never claimed otherwise ^_^
It was being made out to somehow be the definitive primer on all things sq42 by some people however, so yeah, disappointment assured in that case ^_^

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
As farcical as the process has been I feel the thread title's somewhat incorrect. His letter's referencing the space program not comparing the game's development to it.

He's saying it's hard and they've achieved a lot but it doesn't read like he's saying the projects are apples for apples.
Well yea, he's not insane. But the fact that the Space program is his analogy of choice when it comes to difficulty of the task undertaken with his game...Houston, we have a problem.

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
« Soooo, the game ain't ready but lemme tell you about the moon landing... »

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
John Carmack, who made space rockets and developed Doom and quake said game development is more complex than rocket science. But nah - let us be sensationalist and dunk.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
John Carmack, who made space rockets and developed Doom and quake said game development is more complex than rocket science. But nah - let us be sensationalist and dunk.

John Carmack also produced results in reasonable time frames and didn't bullshit people left and right which I think is a big difference here.

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
John Carmack also produced results in reasonable time frames and didn't bullshit people left and right which I think is a big difference here.

Yeah, I have no problem with the analogy except that it's for a game that is constantly missing targets, constantly feature bloating, and will likely never release.

Computational power and complexity has come a long way since Apollo but at least they sent the damn rocket to the moon and got the astronauts back safely.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
How do backers feel about this? It kept going so he must have done something right?