• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
I tried to spec that on my last BMW but the best it would do is run the ventilation. I think maybe a UK or EU limitation not allowing the engine to run wihtout you in the car. I've seen it on some diesels but never owned anything but petrol.

Just saying its more common on EVs (standard even) and freezing doors isn't unique to EVs or flat handles
Wait, you can't remotely turn on a gas engine car in Europe? What, why??

Had that feature on my and my wife's last few cars.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
The car market looks very different compared to 3-4 years ago, though. There are a lot more options these days but I'm still not sure any other car company managed to beat it in all three categories combined.
Basically Hyundai is the only one, IMO. Ioniq 5, EV6, and GV60 are very good vehicles for their MSRP. You just can't buy them at said MSRP without waiting for a year in US, at least on East Coast.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Basically Hyundai is the only one, IMO. Ioniq 5, EV6, and GV60 are very good vehicles for their MSRP. You just can't buy them at said MSRP without waiting for a year in US, at least on East Coast.
Yeah, I really like the Hyundai line-up. Design and prices are on point. They're not as sporty as a Tesla but if someone doesn't care about that and actually gets their hand on one for a reasonable price, then they'll probably be very happy with their decision.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Yeah, I really like the Hyundai line-up. Design and prices are on point. They're not as sporty as a Tesla but if someone doesn't care about that and actually gets their hand on one for a reasonable price, then they'll probably be very happy with their decision.
GV60 Performance is actually kind of nuts actually :). But yeah, I think in US Hyundai group provides good alternatives. In Europe and Asia, I am sure there are a lot more other options.

Oh, and VW ID.4 is not a bad vehicle either. It's not "exciting" but its pretty good option as far as usability and price goes.

Of course now, need to understand the new credits and where they will apply. Likely cheapest Tesla Model 3 and general Model Y will get them, Hyundai will not (for now at least) and VW ID4 will as soon as the new plant goes forward.

Frankfurter

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like this may not be the smartest solution ever for a rare issue and definitely a funny description in the manual, but after all is said and done it feels okay. It's not dangerous or extremely stupid. I.e. I don't know why there is much of a discussion about this specific points. Model 3s rear doors not being able to be opened from inside without power on the hand... I really don't know why that is allowed in the first place. It's screaming for some kind of weird accident to happen where a person is trapped in the rear and burns to death or sth. horrific like that.

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
Off topic but anyone who cares about the environment shouldn't be buying new cars full stop (and NO ONE NEEDS a new one)

I will say that my 10k dollar Prius never has door handle problems lmao

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
The 2% of the time that it doesn't work as well as I'd like is because of fixable quirks like trying to exit the HOV lane (because it doesn't want you to cruise in the left lane), not understanding the speed limit in some areas where there's been interstate construction, and the occasional phantom braking. Plus, it's not as aggressive as I'd like it to be. It's never been unsafe towards a civilian in my ~20k+ miles of using it (nor has it been driven near civilians lol).

I could misuse any number of items in my household to murder someone. "Because someone once did something stupid on YouTube" is a silly argument.

That's not an apology and a retraction, which is what you owe dozens of folks on this forum.

Also, what device are you using to post this? What phone do you have? What do you use to play games? I can almost guarantee you that my car was built more responsibly than ANY of your devices. You're always going to lose that argument.

The average new car this year is $47k. Guess what the starting price is for a Model 3? I'll let you do the research.
Lol "which is what you owe dozens of people" god imagine holding a consumer good so close to your heart that you are so impassioned about this. Why not be impassioned about something real like climate change? And if you don't care about climate then is his post really that far off base? Lol

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine being one of the engineers or other countless individuals who busted their asses and helped pave the way for a serious dive into cleaner methods of vehicle transportation among other things, just to have strangers who could never do what who've done come completely shit on that work because your boss is a billionaire asshole…lol

Tesla just like any other company should never be free of scrutiny, but some of y'all need to chill.

Reminds me when I had family and friends ask my why I decided to "work for that asshole" Steve Jobs when I took an Apple retail job 🤷🏽‍♂️ lmao.
lol those engineers or constant other individuals are being paid. Engineers likely in the top 1 percent of earners in the country. Humans work on everything you criticize, does that mean you shouldn't voice a negative opinion on anything? Have you ever complained about a server who makes far less than a Tesla engineer? Just because I couldn't have made Balan Wonderland (cus I'm in medicine not fucking software lol) doesn't mean I can't critique it despite many well paid humans working on it

Also there's a lot better you can do for clean transportation than driving the demand for brand new electric vehicles to be produced with massive batteries

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
lol those engineers or constant other individuals are being paid. Engineers likely in the top 1 percent of earners in the country. Humans work on everything you criticize, does that mean you shouldn't voice a negative opinion on anything? Have you ever complained about a server who makes far less than a Tesla engineer? Just because I couldn't have made Balan Wonderland (cus I'm in medicine not fucking software lol) doesn't mean I can't critique it despite many well paid humans working on it

Also there's a lot better you can do for clean transportation than driving the demand for brand new electric vehicles to be produced with massive batteries
😂😂😂😂

Contraband

Nov 15, 2017
Hannah, Montana
Picked up a MYP as my first EV 2 years ago. Coming from consumer Motorsport brands like BMW and Porsche ordering a vehicle from Tesla was the best car buying experience I have ever had.

As for the car, love the instant torque, consistent software updates, etc. Don't care for FSD or Autopilot, at all. Charge at home and work but Tesla has by far the most reliable charging infrastructure in the domestic US, if needed. Biggest complaints deal with the interior it definitely needs a lot of love for the base price of the vehicle, very spartan in an unbecoming way.

With that said, I also own a G82 M4 and 911 GT3. Usually choose to drive one of those more often than the MYP. Even when gas prices jumped up a bit.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
LMAO, People are bitching about this? Try living in a cold climate after a good freezing rain storm. Breaking open the ice that is encasing the handle to your car is the least of your worries. That shit gets everywhere and freezes everything solid. Even physical handles requires some force all the while you're slipping and sliding around trying to maintain your position before gravity decides its had enough of your shit and pulls you down in an attempt to crack your skull over the pavement
It's the same shit as when you see threads with a news report that a Tesla has set on fire - people act like it's the only car that's ever happened to and conveniently ignore that it happens way less frequently than ICEs.

I'm all for criticising Tesla where it's valid (I personally think them removing the ultrasonic sensor is massively misguided and flawed logic that will prevent me from ever buying FSD from them), and believe me I would happily buy another brand if it offered the same stuff I need for the price, but this sort of topic is some petty bitch eating crackers stuff.

Micael

Oct 28, 2017
If someone is spending around 50,000 € on a car, yes, they are rich.

I'm pretty sure most people living in countries using the euro can get a loan to buy a 50k car, they aren't exactly hard to come by.
But if this is the bar we are setting for rich, I'm sorry guys I'm tapping out of the all eating the rich thing, my stomach just isn't big enough for that many people, hit me up when we go back to eating billionaires, meanwhile I will go back to eating people the old fashion way, which does include mostly people that can buy something in this price range.

I swear Tesla topics get absolutely hilarious, the wild stretches people come up with on this forum just to shit on Tesla is just something else, it is especially funny considering Tesla have many real issues deserving of criticism, that are not common in other cars, I mean even as far as cold weather conditions they still have issues with the heat pump kind of stopping to work when it gets actually cold, you know the kinds of conditions that would also create this much smaller and also common in other cars issue.

Nov 7, 2017
Tesla threads are so weird here in Era. Anyone in the market for an EV should check out the official thread in hangouts as threads in the main OT devolve into wild generalizations about Tesla owners

And honestly I do own a Model Y but I also love non Tesla EVs (the Hyundai Ionic 5 and the Polestar in particular) so I'm not in a "cult"

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wish Tesla would make a vehicle that actually looks good.

The blob (model Y) is one ugly POS for 70k.
It's the cost of the efficiency. It's definitely function over form, and while it's kinda growing on me it really isn't a pretty car. We ordered my wife an Enyaq VRS which is absolutely gorgeous imo.

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
I work in climate work and this is straight up a republican talking point I get to hear weekly from people like Paul Gosar. So… congrats?

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
I work in climate work and this is straight up a republican talking point I get to hear weekly from people like Paul Gosar. So… congrats?
Lol pointing out that we aren't there yet isn't the same as saying it never will be. Don't take it so personally. Tesla did a great job of making it appealing to mainstream but as it is we aren't there yet and have a lot of work to do/processes to refine. New cars are destructive to the environment

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
Lol pointing out that we aren't there yet isn't the same as saying it never will be. Don't take it so personally. Tesla did a great job of making it appealing to mainstream but as it is we aren't there yet and have a lot of work to do/processes to refine. New cars are destructive to the environment
Existing is destructive to the environment. That's not the question at hand when it comes to talking about EVs. If someone is going to buy a car, an EV is a much better environmental option. Full stop. Anything else is disinfo.

Nov 7, 2017
Existing is destructive to the environment. That's not the question at hand when it comes to talking about EVs. If someone is going to buy a car, an EV is a much better environmental option. Full stop. Anything else is disinfo.
And also if someone is going to wait until the US gets to the point where public transportation can help with people who live in rural areas commute to their work, they will probably die waiting. For now yes an EV would be a better option environmentally

dammitmattt

Oct 28, 2017
Lol "which is what you owe dozens of people" god imagine holding a consumer good so close to your heart that you are so impassioned about this. Why not be impassioned about something real like climate change? And if you don't care about climate then is his post really that far off base? Lol

Um, this is not about a consumer good, but about the poster insulting the intelligence of all Tesla owners, which he received a ban for.

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
With the way that the majority of power grids are right now alongside the costs/impact of manufacturing brand new EVs with new massive batteries, EVs are not currently far and away a much greener option than ICUs. When used EVs are more common this will change but no one buying new expensive luxury cars is doing anything to help the environment. If you're going to buy a car buy a used one. If this is disinfo you're free to supply counter evidence otherwise may I suggest not taking these things so personally?

dammitmattt

Oct 28, 2017
Right right fans of a consumer good. I've seen people say worse about fucking waiters and not get banned lol not every ban is objectively correct

Go ahead and dig in deeper while still misunderstanding that he was insulting all of us OWNERS of a product, simply for choosing that product. We are adults and can debate and disagree without insulting entire segments of the user base. I'm not sure why that's so difficult for you to understand.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
A new EV will push your current car down the chain and hopefully push an old pollutioning ICE onto the scrap heap - it cleans the entire fleet by a tiny amount

Likewise as the grid cleans up the entire EV fleet cleans up.

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
Go ahead and dig in deeper while still misunderstanding that he was insulting all of us OWNERS of a product, simply for choosing that product. We are adults and can debate and disagree without insulting entire segments of the user base. I'm not sure why that's so difficult for you to understand.
Dig deeper on what? I don't agree with what he was saying lol but I don't know why the owners of a product are on an untouchable plane that no one else is on

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
With the way that the majority of power grids are right now alongside the costs/impact of manufacturing brand new EVs with new massive batteries, EVs are not currently far and away a much greener option than ICUs. When used EVs are more common this will change but no one buying new expensive luxury cars is doing anything to help the environment. If you're going to buy a car buy a used one. If this is disinfo you're free to supply counter evidence otherwise may I suggest not taking these things so personally?

You need to stop patronizing me by saying I'm taking things personally. That's a real nice tactic to dismiss someone else's pushback while acting like you're above it all while really just covering for being dismissive. Just because I push back at your posts and have personal and professional experience that invalidates your posts does not mean that "I'm taking things personally." You haven't cited a single source, and are just posting things so maybe provide evidence that's real and not just your own statements and then whine about someone calling you out and calling them too emotional.

This is not true. The "break even" point of an EV is based on this study. Even if a power plant is running off of coal, power plants run at significantly higher .

This article also cites the issues with broad statements like "just buy a used car" as universal truth to being less wasteful. Many old cars have emissions issues, as good fuel economy, and maintenance issues. Sure, some don't, but it's not as simple as you suggest and if you can afford a luxury car, once you hit the approximate 13,500 miles, you are now in net positive territory for waste vs. even the used car.

The EPA's website specifically disputes your claim about power grids.

lifecycle-ghgs-ev-gas-cars-670px.png

ArsTechnica did a breakdown of your claims that used car is more efficient.

But if you're more concerned about your carbon footprint than cost, there are some quick calculations we can do. According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, in 2021, the average age of a car on the road was 12.1 years. So let's go back in time 12 years to 2010. Per EPA data reported by The New York Times, the average miles per gallon for 2010 was roughly 22.5 miles per gallon.

According to the EPA, an average vehicle that gets 22 miles per gallon emits 404 grams of CO2 per mile. Let's say the vehicle travels 10,000 miles per year. That's 4,040,000 grams (or 8,907 pounds) of CO2 making its way into the world each year.

On the EV front, let's look at the Chevy Bolt or Hyundai Kona since they are the least expensive of the top five vehicles, starting at $31,500 and $34,000, respectively. According to the EPA, both emit 130 grams of CO2 per mile, based on the average US electricity mix. After 10,000 miles, that's 1,300,000 grams (or 2,866 pounds) of CO2 per year.

Per year, the EV produces roughly 6,041 pounds less CO2 than the 2010 vehicle.

I mean I can keep going... but nah, I'm just being emotional about your disinformation about caring for our planet and dismissive attitude.

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
You need to stop patronizing me by saying I'm taking things personally. That's a real nice tactic to dismiss someone else's pushback while acting like you're above it all while really just covering for being dismissive. Just because I push back at your posts and have personal and professional experience that invalidates your posts does not mean that "I'm taking things personally." You haven't cited a single source, and are just posting things so maybe provide evidence that's real and not just your own statements and then whine about someone calling you out and calling them too emotional.

This is not true. The "break even" point of an EV is based on this study. Even if a power plant is running off of coal, power plants run at significantly higher .

This article also cites the issues with broad statements like "just buy a used car" as universal truth to being less wasteful. Many old cars have emissions issues, as good fuel economy, and maintenance issues. Sure, some don't, but it's not as simple as you suggest and if you can afford a luxury car, once you hit the approximate 13,500 miles, you are now in net positive territory for waste vs. even the used car.

The EPA's website specifically disputes your claim about power grids.

lifecycle-ghgs-ev-gas-cars-670px.png

ArsTechnica did a breakdown of your claims that used car is more efficient.

I mean I can keep going... but nah, I'm just being emotional about your disinformation about caring for our planet and dismissive attitude.
Lol why does someone being overly emotional over an argument mean that I'm dismissing what they're saying? You are absolutely very emotional over consumer goods but I will read into all this. Thank you

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
Lol why does someone being overly emotional over an argument mean that I'm dismissing what they're saying? You are absolutely very emotional over consumer goods but I will read into all this. Thank you
This is classic gaslighting.

Hope you can talk humans in real life better than you do here.

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Trolling over a Series of Posts; Modwhining; History of Similar Behaviour
This is classic gaslighting.

Hope you can talk humans in real life better than you do here.
Lol I hope you start using the term in the correct contexts

EDIT: Interesitng tho the source you shared says that EVs have better emissions than used ICUs after 4 years. Which is quite a long time to say that you SHOULD buy a new car vs a used one

Last edited:

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
Yea I don't understand the hate, I mean I guess I get it, but it's your money. Spend it how you will. No one is forcing people to buy a Tesla. There are options out there. I love my Y, but I would never hate anyone else because they bought another EV.

Is it like people and their console wars?

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Honestly curious, how much different is this than just other more normal car handles?

I don't think I've ever owned a car that didn't have the occasional trouble with a handle freezing up.. is it just much worse on a Tesla or something?

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly curious, how much different is this than just other more normal car handles?

I don't think I've ever owned a car that didn't have the occasional trouble with a handle freezing up.. is it just much worse on a Tesla or something?

The only difference I can think of is the flush handles you need to push in with your thumb before you can get a 'handle' to grab and pull. So I can see that action being harder if frozen as you have less purchase on the mechanism. On a regular sticking out handle you can grab it no matter what, and pull to open.

This is also amplified by the frameless doors - a regular steel framed door you can pull pretty hard to break the seal. Frameless the glass can freeze in the door so the window won't go down - which makes it harder to open without damage.

Had that a few times in my BMW coupes so not unique by any means to Tesla.

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
The only difference I can think of is the flush handles you need to push in with your thumb before you can get a 'handle' to grab and pull. So I can see that action being harder if frozen as you have less purchase on the mechanism. On a regular sticking out handle you can grab it no matter what, and pull to open.

This is also amplified by the frameless doors - a regular steel framed door you can pull pretty hard to break the seal. Frameless the glass can freeze in the door so the window won't go down - which makes it harder to open without damage.

Had that a few times in my BMW coupes so not unique by any means to Tesla.
Yah I live in Minnesota and I've had to do this at times with every single vehicle I've owned. It's slightly different with cars with frameless windows and the flush handles, but meh, it's not unique to Tesla