• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Hasn't found the right guy and/or gal yet.
Chris x Piers for life.

4o7xDjT.jpg

It's canon. I don't make the rules. 💁‍♂️

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
Code Veronica Chris is still the best design Chris has ever had in the series with RE5 Chris being the worst. I don't mind and kind of like his RE7 design.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Perfectly summarized why I don't care (anymore) about this character. They could let him die and I'd shrug. But yeah, I will always remember him as Chris Roidfield from RE5. That's gonna stick.

orlock

Oct 28, 2017
thank you for reminding me how much i hate Wesker/the Weskers.

anyway, even though i dont love Redfield'a "transformations" (or Leon's for that matter), i give them a little credit as theres some semblance of a character growth/arc there, even if i hate it and its informed by story beats i loathe.

as an aside, Resident Evil is a poster child for game franchises that could benefit from a complete reboot from scratch.

4 Get!

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 8, 2019
Two things OP:

1. I find it impossible to believe that you played RE: 1 and REmake multiple times and never touched 50% of the game(Chris' playthrough) just because of how he looks. Why willingly lock yourself out of game content like it's 2020?

2. If you want to see more on why Chris' attitude changed between 5 and 6, look into Revelations 1 and the CG movies.

Oct 27, 2017
I agree but as stated by others continuity, especially from a character perspective, has not been the series strong suit. I do think Claire is the most consistent in terms of actual interactions and character work though, her changes never feel particularly egregious. Chris is boring and honestly punching the boulder is exactly what he needed to be honest, although I'll never understand if he was that strong how he couldn't just punch Wesker to beat him to be honest! Having said that I actually do like what they are doing with him from what we've seen so far in 8.

Delaney

Oct 25, 2017
I still think we'll someday get a retcon making the RE7 person not Chris, be it in Village or another game/media.

All his other appearances seem consistent.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
I mostly just appreciate the character now out of nostalgia but I do still care about how they handle his story. He might've had so many different character arcs but if this really is the last ride for him I hope they do it him justice.

entheo

Oct 27, 2017
Capcom messed up with RE7 Chris so bad that bringing him back "correct" for RE8 seems like another bad idea. Probably should have killed him off after ruining him, and had a different character come back for Village.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
CV Chris is Still his best version because it's the only time he's ever shown giving a shit about something that isn't Wesker or THE JOB.

Dude drops everything in CV to rescue Claire, the only family he has left. By Rev 2 he's nowhere to be seen. He's just another generic military grunt which he still is even now.

pjl93

Jun 2, 2020
NJ
I'm more annoyed with the recasting Jeff Schine didn't even change his voice it's just Carlos again

Mr_Zombie

Oct 27, 2017
Poland
Chris is:
- a soldier
- loyal to friends and partners
- naive
- dedicated to his work

That's basically all his character is and is consistent in all games. 🤷‍♂️ And the progression from game to game (RE7 excluded) is easy to follow if you take into consideration time between those games and what happens behind the scene (i.e. Chris being huge in RE5 make sense when you think about his confrontation with Wesker in CV and LiN).

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
While I see why you say this, he does look like the same guy but a bit weird.
It is even more apparent in the leaks but I don't want to post leaks and ruin it for people.

I believe Dusk himself mentioned that the same face model is back for 8.

Ive seen some of the later ones and IMO, even as the same face model the work done is night and day. He's much more similar to his RE6 look. You can do a lot with a base face model and I think Chris is a good example of that.

So you can definitely still edit the RE7 face to be younger but still match more of what RE8 is offering than just leaving it as is. Considering capcom basically admitted they didn't do enough work with the base in 7 as they had to actually debunk the hunkfield theory. While there wasn't any confusion with his RE8 appearance.

Oct 27, 2017
Ive seen some of the later ones and IMO, even as the same face model the work done is night and day. He's much more similar to his RE6 look. You can do a lot with a base face model and I think Chris is a good example of that.

So you can definitely still edit the RE7 face to be younger but still match more of what RE8 is offering than just leaving it as is. Considering capcom basically admitted they didn't do enough work with the base in 7 as they had to actually debunk the hunkfield theory. While there wasn't any confusion with his RE8 appearance.
Oh I agree he looks closer to RE6. He has the same physique and even the same hair. My personal plot reasoning for that is the lack of steroids. It is probably stupid but it makes "sense" that he would bulk up again for 8 considering the bigger scale compared to 7.

OP
OP
SolVanderlyn

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Two things OP:

1. I find it impossible to believe that you played RE: 1 and REmake multiple times and never touched 50% of the game(Chris' playthrough) just because of how he looks. Why willingly lock yourself out of game content like it's 2020?

2. If you want to see more on why Chris' attitude changed between 5 and 6, look into Revelations 1 and the CG movies.
I've tried to play Chris' game multiple times. It's mostly because of his reduced inventory space and the lack of Barry that I just don't enjoy his game nearly as much. I think the furthest I've ever gotten with him was the cabin in REmake.

I played Rev 1 and have seen the movies, but isn't his attitude because of what happens in Edonia in RE6? It still seems over the top to me, even if I appreciate what they were going for.

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't Re7 Chris weird just because Capcom was still not accustomed to their new engine and didn't know how to convicingly tweak the models' faces they scanned? Didn't they say something like that, promising that thay would improve over time and give back a more recognizable look to their iconic characters?

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's pretty much the same for every RE character no? Leon's pretty much completely different between each game as well.

ResidentDante

Nov 2, 2017
Oslo, Norway
They change Chris so much I hardly regard him as the same character anymore.

They want to change and make new personalities but don't dare swap out main characters as the RE fans go mental over changes in the same character progression loop. So it ends up with variants of the same characters.

Donepalace

Mar 16, 2019
I can't remember but is there any time of dates in RE7 like maybe it happened earlier in the franchise timeline

I cannot remember a specific date mentioned in the game or references to raccoon city ,re4 ,re6 etc

Donepalace

Mar 16, 2019
Let's be honest here the only reason Chris was as big as he was in RE5 was because gears of war was the hot shit at the time
I hated it. In the original re5 trailer Chris looked so cool and regular not this ridiculous gears of war character

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
I have played, completed and loved every R.E game apart from 6, and I couldnt tell you a single thing about any of the protagonists.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
RE8 Chris looks awesome and a great progression from RE5/6 Chris.

RE7 Chris looks completely like a different character, they probably forgot how he looked like when they designed RE7....

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
The protagonists aren't the interesting part of this series for me.
Well, exactly. It's always the environment, atmosphere, monsters and campy bullshit. I'm pretty sure there have been character reveals in past games where you're supposed to go "OH MY GOD ITS THAT GUY WE THOUGHT HE WAS DEAD!" and it's always flown right over my head.

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
latest

Ok, RE5 Chris brought him back and arguably made him popular. This is the Chris most people remember and know, just like most people remember and knew RE4's Special Agent Leon instead of his rookie boy scout persona from RE2 before its remake came out. Now he has his whole BOW supersoldier schtick going on. He's basically like the GI Joe commando of the RE series at this point. He's out to get Wesker, he values his partners' lives and wellbeing as equal to his own, he has a sincere hatred for BOW warfare and he is super strong. Chris punching the boulder became a meme for a reason. This game cemented him as the heart of the "action" part of Resident Evil.

latest

RE6 basically throws the table upside down, though, and now he's a PTSD ridden, amnesiac alcoholic. For most of the game he's just a huge asshole to everyone, especially his team. I give the writers props for at least trying to show us how this change happened and justify it, but it still feels artificial with how over the top it is.

Context matters. He didn't get PTSD out of nowhere.

The whole RE5 storyline was sold as an extremely traumatic event. The whole marketing campaign was build around this "Fear you can't forget".

Granted the game itself doesn't justify this because it's not really any more traumatic than what came before, but as far as the "lore" of the RE series goes it was on another level and it broke Chris.