• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
24 years? How about that. Well I remember kobun from the really old days. We're really old, I guess.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
Don't' see the doom and gloom framing here. I've enjoyed his work and he's great on podcasts.

And Kotaku is bleeding talent specifically because it's parent company G/O Media has horrible management that people are trying to get away from.

Gotta grind that axe though, don't let actual facts get in the way.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Good luck Chris.
You have me curious if media means you are leaving games entirely, or perhaps you are just moving on from the press? Perhaps you are starting a job at a publisher or development studio?

Oct 25, 2017
Always gave off good vibes in his media work, pleasingly enthusiastic about what he cared about, FFV aficionado, good guy.

Good luck with the future dude.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
Always loved his enthusiasm on podcasts and elsewhere.

I heard he's actually joining JJ Epperson at Cirque du Soleil. They've acquired a lot of talent recently.

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
Who's left at Kotaku now?
There are quite a number of people who still work there. Heather Alexandra, Mike Fahey, Brian Ashcraft, Ethan Gach, Nathan Grayson, Paul Tamayo, Luke Plunkett, and Riley McLeod to name a few. Stephen Totilo is still the EIC. I met him years ago at the original Scribblenauts launch party. Back then, he ran MTV's Multiplayer Blog. He was a super nice guy.

Lately, I've been seeing articles by freelance writers to fill in the gaps. They are not bad or anything of the sort. But I don't read as many articles as I once used to. It's mostly for any news or analysis I may have missed. Plus I enjoy Fahey and Ashcraft's occasional articles.

I once applied to write for Kotaku but ultimately got passed on since video games writing wasn't my beat (I had comic book journalism background).

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
There are quite a number of people who still work there. Heather Alexandra, Mike Fahey, Brian Ashcraft, Ethan Gach, Nathan Grayson, Paul Tamayo, Luke Plunkett, and Riley McLeod to name a few. Stephen Totilo is still the EIC. I met him years ago at the original Scribblenauts launch party. Back then, he ran MTV's Multiplayer Blog. He was a super nice guy.

Lately, I've been seeing articles by freelance writers to fill in the gaps. They are not bad or anything of the sort. But I don't read as many articles as I once used to. It's mostly for any news or analysis I may have missed. Plus I enjoy Fahey and Ashcraft's occasional articles.

I once applied to write for Kotaku but ultimately got passed on since video games writing wasn't my beat (I had comic book journalism background).
Heather left a few months ago.

Anyways best of luck to Chris. Very curious to see what he's moving on to.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
Kotaku is a shambling husk. It's sad to browse the front page these days. And I've been a fan practically since the beginning.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
What I actually (not so) secretly hope for is that Chris is quitting Kotaku to help with the second coming of Good Job, Brain! God I loved that podcast.

Whatever the next thing is, though, I'm sure it'll be great!

Last edited:

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Power Up is such a seminal and engaging read. His Final Fantasy V Boss Fight book is great too.

Really admired your work, Chris. Good luck in your future endeavours!

Kobun Heat

Chris Kohler — Editorial Director, Digital Eclipse
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Hi Kohler congrats on the new gig maybe we (me and my +1) will cross paths with you again some day ! :3

BUNTING1243

Oct 25, 2017
Much respect for Totilo for holding down the fort and actively trying to build the next generation of games writers, but man it's been a tough few months for Kotaku. Jim Spanfeller is a fucking dickhead.

Trying to even think of eveeryone who left is tough. Gita Jackson, Jason Scheier, Maddy Myers, Cecilia D'Anastasio, Joshua Rivera, Heather Alexandria, Tim Rodgers, and now Chris have all left since new management took over at G/O.

Midgarian

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2020
Midgar
I'm not dead or anything!
Haha :)

Reading your books have helped me feel "normal" (for lack of a better term) about my Japanophile Gaming interests and I now fully embrace it as a part of who I am, instead of seeing it as something I need to keep hidden.

Also incidentally your FFV book made me start a playthrough of FFV for the first time. You sold me on the game!

Good luck with your future endeavours.