• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Seems like a positive move for him. He sounds happy lol.

Don't' see the doom and gloom framing here. I've enjoyed his work and he's great on podcasts.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus, I can't remember the last time a single outlet has lost as many key people as Kotaku has in the past year. I'd have to imagine Totilo is looking for his next opportunity as well

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
This guy is a legend in the retro gaming community. Good luck to him.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus, I can't remember the last time a single outlet has lost as many key people as Kotaku has in the past year. I'd have to imagine Totilo is looking for his next opportunity as well

If you mean any enthusiast media: Deadspin.

If you mean just games media, then yeah, me neither. I know Gamespot lost a bunch of people around the time Jeff Gerstmann was fired, but that was a bigger outlet and they lost fewer people. Sadly, most of the other options I can think of weren't people leaving but getting laid off (1UP, Gametrailers).

Kobun Heat

Chris Kohler — Editorial Director, Digital Eclipse
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks everybody! I will keep doing my best for you.

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
COVID-19 has made many people think and re-evaluate themselves as we've seen. I had a feeling Kohler would be the next person to go. I love the guy on every podcast he appears on since he's super passionate about retro games and Nintendo in general. I can listen to him talk about games all day. I wish you all the best in your new venture, Kohler. Good luck!

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
When doing some work for 1up, met him briefly at a SEGA event in SF when Sonic 06 was first unveiled. Even then (this predated the craze that is social media), those in the industry knew who he was and respected him. Wish him well.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
I wonder if he is going to go work for limited run like Jeremy did, or another game company. These guys from that era all have done that successfully.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Can't imagine changing careers like that is easy.

G/O media is fucking up big time. Guess they're content with going full clickbait with all the talent bailing on them.

Deleted member 12555

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
need a list of studios looking for a communications director, so we can start taking bets on his future position asap

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It is crazy how much the industry has changed in the last 10 years.

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
I remember not liking many of his Wired articles for being waaay too negative, but then I read more of his stuff and became a fan. Good luck on your next endeavors, Chris!

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
Good luck Chris with whatever comes next! I really enjoyed my recent read through of Power Up and you've been a fun presence on Retronauts as well.

And sorry for being a shit in the Game|Life comments in my younger days 😳

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
Really sucks watching the media die like this, because in its place all we're going to have is PR directly from publishers.

Good luck Chris; excited to hear about the next phase for you.

Just get non-paid interns and reward them with "exposure", that will do.

That's literally what GHP is doing with G/O, gradually getting rid of actual journalists and replacing them with underpaid content mill writers. This takeover-and-gut method is the best way for rich people to ensure nothing unflattering is ever reported about them.