• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
www.hollywoodreporter.com

Chris Evans in Talks to Star in Greg Berlanti’s ‘Little Shop of Horrors’ (Exclusive)

Chris Evans is in negotiations to play a key character in 'Little Shop of Horrors,' a new big-screen take of the cult movie turned Broadway musical being directed by Greg Berlanti.

Chris Evans is in negotiations to play a key character in Little Shop of Horrors, the big-screen take of the cult movie-turned-Broadway musical being directed by Greg Berlanti.

Little Shop is the story of Seymour, a meek florist who works at the aptly named Skid Row Florists, where he is under the thumb of the owner, Mr. Mushnik, but where he also is secretly in love with Audrey, who also works at the struggling shop. Seymour becomes a celebrity when discovers a venus flytrap-looking plant he dubs Audrey II, but his life becomes disastrously complicated when the plant demands to be fed human blood, and then eventually people themselves.

Egerton and Johansson are in various ages of talks for the roles of Seymour and Audrey, respectively, although talks are ongoing and unclear if deals will be made. Porter, whose deal is signed, is giving voice to the carnivorous plant.

Evans will play the role of dentist Orin Scrivello, Audrey's abusive and sadistic boyfriend who finds great pleasure in his chosen profession. The role is flashy (the character loves to use laughing gas) and comes with the scene-stealing signature song, "Dentist!"

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
Evans going to play Scrivello?
488.gif

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I only saw the original a year ago, it's really fucking dark but super funny

I'm assuming it's a new adaptation of the musical version, as though the article is unclear about it, I'm not sure why you would hire Egerton and ScarJo for a movie like this if you didn't want them to sing. Evans is an inspired choice for Scrivello, though he's got the biggest damn shoes to fill with how iconic Steve Martin was in that role.

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
We sang the songs at closing a lot at one of the Blockbusters I worked at.

I can't tell you how many times I've impersonated, "don't do me no favors!", in Audrey II's voice.

AndrewDean84

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
I'm assuming it's a new adaptation of the musical version, as though the article is unclear about it, I'm not sure why you would hire Egerton and ScarJo for a movie like this if you didn't want them to sing. Evans is an inspired choice for Scrivello, though he's got the biggest damn shoes to fill with how iconic Steve Martin was in that role.
It was a musical first.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
"Rick Moranis came out of retirement for Honey I Shrunk the Kids? QUICK REBOOT EVERYTHING! EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!"

Oct 27, 2017
I watched the one with Rick Moranis for the first time in years a few weeks ago. I forgot how super dark the ending was. Blew my mind that I forgot that.

EDIT: Oh shit, I just realized the rewatch I did was with the original ending! No wonder I didn't remember it being so grim.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
The resurrection of pre Captain America Douchebag Evans is upon us, and I absolutely cannot wait to see where it leads. We need America's Asshole back and making us laugh.

OP
OP

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From 2016, it does appear this version will be a musical.

deadline.com

Warner Bros & Greg Berlanti Grow ‘Little Shop Of Horrors’ Revamp

Warner Bros Grows New 'Little Shop Of Horrors;' Greg Berlanti Directing Matthew Robinson Script

"Rick Moranis came out of retirement for Honey I Shrunk the Kids? QUICK REBOOT EVERYTHING! EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!"
Considering his stance on cameos, I would not put much hope in him making an appearance in this one. One does wonder who they'll get for the masochistic dental patient this time around, since that's traditionally been a fun spot with a big star (well, Jack Nicholson wasn't big then, but you know what I mean).

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Just remaster the original with the found footage of the amazing ending that was cut.

I just hope they don't go with the idiotic directors cut ending.
That ending is fucking amazing though, so much work thrown to the bin. They should have not killed the main protagonists making them escape and still have the destroy america ending, best of both worlds.
Also its not a directors cut ending, its the original ending from the brodway musical.

Edit, seems you already got the info from another poster.

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
Man, this is gonna have a lot to live up to visually, never mind performance wise.

I'm into the idea, but yeah. Considering what the remake did in the 80s with animatronics, CG is gonna be a hard pill to swallow.

AndrewDean84

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
Considering his stance on cameos, I would not put much hope in him making an appearance in this one. One does wonder who they'll get for the masochistic dental patient this time around, since that's traditionally been a fun spot with a big star (well, Jack Nicholson wasn't big then, but you know what I mean).
Bill Hader could have some fun with it.

blomby

Banned
Nov 14, 2019
Sexy plant with CATS cgi. Big friggin knockers like it's Conker's Bad Fur Day. Epic and horny

May 24, 2019
I like the 80's theatrical ending. Maybe it's just what I grew up with, but an Audrey growing in their perfect magazine dream home rosebush or w/e was a good note to end on.

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
They need to put We'll Have Tomorrow in the new film, which got cut from the Broadway show. Really a stunning song.

It's a shame someone removed the video with the original Broadway Seymour/Audrey signing it at Howard Ashman's funeral from the Internet.

That ending is fucking amazing though, so much work thrown to the bin. They should have not killed the main protagonists making them escape and still have the destroy america ending, best of both worlds.
Also its not a directors cut ending, its the original ending from the brodway musical.

It's a lot campier/lighter ending in the Broadway version when you see everyone as pods of the plant singing and then there's a curtain call.

Oz's version is a darker B-movie just by the nature of the medium, plus there's minutes and minutes of the plants taking over.

grang

Nov 13, 2017
Evans is an inspired choice for Scrivello, though he's got the biggest damn shoes to fill with how iconic Steve Martin was in that role.
Almost equally as important is who they get to fill Bill Murray's shoes as the patient, but I do love the Evans casting.

ScarJo is a good choice assuming she can pull off the singing, but I'm not as big on Taron Edgerton as Seymour.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Wonder who they'll get for the greek chorus.

EDIT: I'd love it if they somehow managed to talk Moranis into being Mushnik.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
They need to put We'll Have Tomorrow in the new film, which got cut from the Broadway show. Really a stunning song.

It's a shame someone removed the video with the original Broadway Seymour/Audrey signing it at Howard Ashman's funeral from the Internet.

It's a lot campier/lighter ending in the Broadway version when you see everyone as pods of the plant singing and then there's a curtain call.

Oz's version is a darker B-movie just by the nature of the medium, plus there's minutes and minutes of the plants taking over.

Hahaha yeah, Im always amazed at how many minutes of amazing special effects works went directly to the bin.
I would still add it to the new version, but still making Seymour and Audrey escape.