• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Vash

Oct 28, 2017
A while back David Gaider and Liam Esler announced their brand new studio Summerfall that would soon reveal their brand new first title. Many expected it to be an RPG since both Liam and David have experience working on titles like Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Knights of the Old Republic and Dragon Age. But their first title, called CHORUS: And Adventure Musical, is something else entirely.

It's a seemingly classic adventure game where the important parts of the story are conveyed through song, and the player gets to decide which way the song goes.

Synopsis

CHORUS tells the story of Grace, member of a band that just held an audition, only for one of the singers to show up at her doorstep, dying. Turns out, the young woman was a Muse and as she lies dying in Grace's apartment she transfers her powers to the young woman. Unfortunately, Grace is accused of murder by the gods, who formed a society called CHORUS. Now, with the power of song she must prove her innocence and she meets up with an eclectic cast of characters.

Developers and Cast

Summerfall Studios was founded by Liam Esler and David Gaider. They are joined by renowned composer Austin Wintory, and Benjamin Ee who has taken on the role of Art Director. Rounding up the team are Elizabeth Blythe and Troy Ferguson. For CHORUS they have Troy Baker acting as Voice Director as well as providing his own voice to one of the characters. Main character Grace is voiced by Laura Bailey.

https%3A%2F%2Fplayfig.s3.amazonaws.com%2FCampaignMediaItem%2Fimage%2Fcampaign_media_item%2F2019%2F10%2F10%2F1ad84b43-f5b0-48bf-9985-021907937c7a

https%3A%2F%2Fplayfig.s3.amazonaws.com%2FCampaignMediaItem%2Fimage%2Fcampaign_media_item%2F2019%2F10%2F10%2Fd057aa07-82e5-44f0-9ece-9c3725f5a0b6

FIG Campaign Trailer:

Full Minotaur Song:

Update: FUNDED!

Playable Proof Of Concept:

Links:

Chorus: An Adventure Musical FIG Campaign Page

Summerfall Studios Twitter

Last edited:

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looks awesome though I'm kind of bummed that it's PC-only for now. Depending on the engine, there likely wouldn't be too much overheard to port it to consoles (not counting certification fees) and I'm sure they'd receive a lot of additional funding.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Are the reward tiers down right now? O.o

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Lol, had to do a double take when I saw the art director. Went to high school with him, but had no idea he was in the games industry. Neat.

Dazraell

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Poland
This looks so good, will definitely buy it. I'm really tempted to back this now, but after Phoenix Point and Shenmue 3, I've promised to myself to stay out of supporting games that may not launching on storefront they were initially promised.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Well, this is ticking all my boxes to a spectacular extent. Definitely very interested to see how this pans out.

That said, I don't think I'll be pledging to sing in the chorus. I couldn't be that cruel to the rest of the world.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
I'm probably going to back this as soon as I can afford it. Great idea, very talented people involved and it looks really good.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Just watched the trailer and it was fantastic! Really loved what I saw and hope it gets enough support.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
This is super cool - there's only been a couple of 'musicaly' games that I can recall, and this has the potential to be the most well produced of all. Definitely keeping an eye on this.

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Someone pointed me towards this thread, so I'll shamelessly bump it.
The budgeting of the game seems reasonable, so I didn't hesitate too much before backing.

OP
OP
Vash

Vash

Oct 28, 2017
I hear ya, JaredG. Especially considering the talent behind them.

They deserve all the attention they can get.

Dazraell

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Poland
While I wasn't really keen on backing it because of how unpredictable are storefronts where the game may eventually be released, I was lurking to a FIG page and it seems the game still isn't funded with only a one week to go. I've decided to help it and put my fair share in backing Chorus. It would be a shame if it won't end up to be released at all.

OP
OP
Vash

Vash

Oct 28, 2017
Wish I could help, I made the thread because it looked really good. I hope they're gonna make it.

effin

Jan 20, 2019
They are all very lovely people working on the game, and from all the things I've seen so far I would highly recommend backing it.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I know about it from Austin facebook page but in glad it got good reception on ERA

Oct 27, 2017
This is very interesting. I hope the effects of the dialogue choices will be less subtle than in Gaider's later works so that people will really take notice when playing, perhaps the musical numbers will really give them their due in this regard.

I also wish that I could give them enough money for them to go full Les Miz on it, where everything flows into a full musical presentation. I just hope it's not hours between songs, or that a few songs land very close to each other, as sometimes RPG important moments or narrative sequence are paced this way.

But however they handle this stuff, I wish them the best.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh shit. Is that deep voice Hades from Hadestown?
Laura Bailey voices her, and Troy Baker voices him.
This is very interesting. I hope the effects of the dialogue choices will be less subtle than in Gaider's later works so that people will really take notice when playing, perhaps the musical numbers will really give them their due in this regard.

I also wish that I could give them enough money for them to go full Les Miz on it, where everything flows into a full musical presentation. I just hope it's not hours between songs, or that a few songs land very close to each other, as sometimes RPG important moments or narrative sequence are paced this way.

But however they handle this stuff, I wish them the best.
Currently, the game is planned to be two hours long. However, they've said they might expand depending on how much money they get.

Last edited:

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed! They've released the full Minotaur song and I love how it all plays out!

Hmm... I want to like this more than I do. I wish the Minotaur's delivery had a little more variation, as it often felt like it was keeping to a metronome. It might be a result of the songwriting and direction, though. I thought Grace's delivery was quite good. Strong acting throughout, and it felt pretty natural. I guess what I'd want is the overall interaction between the two as it bounces between them and as they deliver their lines to feel more organic, and something about the Minotaur's part was hindering that for me. It was also maybe a result of the gameplay, as I imagine you sort of have to slow things down to let people make their choices. Perhaps other songs handle it differently, though!

I love musicals. However, I'm not sure this will capture what I personally love about them. I hope it finds an audience, though, and I'll definitely pay attention to it.