• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ULTROS!

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
https://gematsu.com/2019/02/chocobos-mystery-dungeon-every-buddy-launches-march-20-in-the-west

Chocobo's Mystery Dungeon: Every Buddy! will launch for PlayStation 4 and Switch on March 20 in North America and Europe, Square Enix announced.

Digital pre-orders are now available. Users who pre-order from the PlayStation Store will receive buddy chocobo "Alpha," the PlayStation 4-exclusive buddy chocobo "Beastmaster" downloadable content, a PlayStation 4 theme, and a Playstation Network avatar bundle. Users who pre-order from the Nintendo eShop will receive buddy chocobo "Alpha" and the Switch-exclusive buddy chocobo "Machinist" downloadable content.

Last edited:

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
Fixed.

Though I'll find it weird that there's a box art (as seen in the pic) if the game is digital only.

That's exactly why it's worded that way. "Digital Preorders Start Now" Not sure why it has a boxart but it's digital only and you get all those extras if you get it. It comes out next month.

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Fixed.

Though I'll find it weird that there's a box art (as seen in the pic) if the game is digital only.

You'd think, right, but this was also in the launch day press release for The Last Remnant Remastered:

EyrX1Jv.jpg

But no physical sadly. =(

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
This is something that Namco and I guess SE does too: make box art for digital games. Not sure why, maybe a physical was in the cards at one point and then scrapped? Throws usnoff on the box art threads :( I think it's safe to say that this will also be digital only, with release only about a month away with no marketing/pre-orders. MAYBE a SE store exclusive.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I'm hoping for a physical for this game, if not I will have to debate if I will preorder it or not.
I'm hoping this game is at least as good as the chocobo's mystery dungeon 2 :P

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
yup. The only reason I'm excited for it.
I loved playing chocobo's dungeon 2 on the ps1 because of the co op.
I was so sad when they remade the first chocobo's dungeon and didn't add the co op to it.

how does that work in a game like this?

if it works like dungeon 2 on the ps1 then the enemies only move when the chocobo moves, the 2nd player can move freely but only attack once until chocobo moves. (but I'm not 100% sure it works the same in this game)

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yeah I've got to decide where I want it at.
on PS4 it will likely perform better on switch I can play it on the go.

also
iZ4HMdK.png

helps make the DLC more clear, but I don't know what the difference between a beastmaster and machinist is in context of the game.
I don't think both version will be different that much since the game isn't exactly a top end looker. I'm gonna get it on PS4 due to trophies

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think both version will be different that much since the game isn't exactly a top end looker. I'm gonna get it on PS4 due to trophies
it comes down to how well optimized it is.
a number of switch games that shouldn't be that different from the ps4 version ended up being quite different.
a recent one was tales of vesperia which has a ton of crashing issues.
if optimized properly then yes it would be the same as the ps4, but the ps4's extra power lets it brute force poorly optimized games better.

kamineko

Linked the Fire
Oct 25, 2017
Accardi-by-the-Sea
Sorry if this is a bad bump, but I don't have anything worth a new thread.

• Considering the pre-order due to having an extra job--I love job systems--but there isn't a lot of press
  • I'm thinking about getting this for local co-op. Struggling with the Switch vs. PS4 decision.
  • I can't tell exactly what this is--a roguelike (rogue-lite)?

Those familiar with the series, did you enjoy the older games? Are you looking forward to this?

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I was going to pick it up again but then I saw it's English only and I swear I played it in French on Wii.
Oh well, too bad.

PetrCobra

Oct 27, 2017
So, this is a remaster of the Wii game, right?
Played that for a little while back then, it was pretty good.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Sorry if this is a bad bump, but I don't have anything worth a new thread.

• Considering the pre-order due to having an extra job--I love job systems--but there isn't a lot of press
  • I'm thinking about getting this for local co-op. Struggling with the Switch vs. PS4 decision.
  • I can't tell exactly what this is--a roguelike (rogue-lite)?

Those familiar with the series, did you enjoy the older games? Are you looking forward to this?

I'm not sure if you're aware, but this is an enhanced port of the Wii game. Mystery Dungeon games, which span multiple franchises, similar to Dynasty Warriors, are kind of the original roguelike series (don't think they were the first, but a lot of modern roguelike indie stuff takes inspiration from MD).

It's kinda hard to explain. You go through dungeons consisting of different floors, and your movement and combat is grid based. If you've seen Crypt of the Necrodancer, it's basically exactly that but with RPG elements and no rhythm timing.

The game also has the best OST in the FF series.

kamineko

Linked the Fire
Oct 25, 2017
Accardi-by-the-Sea
I'm not sure if you're aware, but this is an enhanced port of the Wii game. Mystery Dungeon games, which span multiple franchises, similar to Dynasty Warriors, are kind of the original roguelike series (don't think they were the first, but a lot of modern roguelike indie stuff takes inspiration from MD).

It's kinda hard to explain. You go through dungeons consisting of different floors, and your movement and combat is grid based. If you've seen Crypt of the Necrodancer, it's basically exactly that but with RPG elements and no rhythm timing.

The game also has the best OST in the FF series.

OK. I knew it was an enhanced Wii game, but I never played that one (or any other MD games). I DO like roguelikes, though, so that sounds fun. I'll try to look up reviews of the original Wii title

Grid like a tactics game? That's cool. Thanks for the info!

Chojin

Oct 26, 2017
Day one in my veins!

This is a remake? Still good. The wii version had the best FF music remixes ever.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
What's the chances of this coming to PC?

Screw it , I will just double dip like I do with all the other FFs 😂

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
OK. I knew it was an enhanced Wii game, but I never played that one (or any other MD games). I DO like roguelikes, though, so that sounds fun. I'll try to look up reviews of the original Wii title

Grid like a tactics game? That's cool. Thanks for the info!

Sort of, basically, when you move a tile, the enemy moves a tile, and if you line up with them, either to the adjacent tile, or I think some of them let you stay a few tiles away from a longer range attack, you fight them.

Ailanthium

Oct 27, 2017
Still no word on a physical version? I'm a little hesitant to spend above like $20 for a game that could come out down the line physical, since it would make me tempted to double-dip. I would probably buy a digital version discounted later this year, since I'm playing through all the Final Fantasy games in the meanwhile.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Still no word on a physical version? I'm a little hesitant to spend above like $20 for a game that could come out down the line physical, since it would make me tempted to double-dip. I would probably buy a digital version discounted later this year, since I'm playing through all the Final Fantasy games in the meanwhile.
I don't think we are getting a physical version especially since they priced it at 40 instead of 60

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
live stream of english version

confirmed No physical version
confirmed that the machinist vs beastmaster doesn't really matter, neither is exclusive you can unlock the other in the game.
there are 14 jobs and 14 buddies to unlock
they are similar, but different, whatever that means lol.

they made a point that it didn't miss the winter deadline, march 20th is the last day of winter :P

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
no physical killed this for me. maybe later at sale price.
I can get that. I wanted a physical version as well (plus a collectors with a chocobo plush would be awesome)
I'm still buying it as is, but only because I really really want an updated version of 2 and more sales will help with that, and I figure I will at least have fun playing this co op.

Enforcer

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I heard the game was really easy on Wii U.

Hoping there would be some additions to make it challenging in this version.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Who exactly is Alpha? Is it worth preordering for that?
live stream of english version

confirmed No physical version
confirmed that the machinist vs beastmaster doesn't really matter, neither is exclusive you can unlock the other in the game.
there are 14 jobs and 14 buddies to unlock
they are similar, but different, whatever that means lol.

they made a point that it didn't miss the winter deadline, march 20th is the last day of winter :P

So they're not exclusive but can you unlock both classes without preordering? Or would I have to pay extra for Beast Master but unlock machinist if I get the PS4 version without preorder?

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I heard the game was really easy on Wii U.

Hoping there would be some additions to make it challenging in this version.
As far as I know the only major changes from the wii version (I don't know of a wii u version) is that they added a co op setting, added a new job (alpha) and let you befriend some monsters.

most of the other changes are just upgrading the cut scenes and having a new voice over from what I have seen. I haven't heard of any fundamental gameplay changes beyond the co op stuff.

Who exactly is Alpha? Is it worth preordering for that?

So they're not exclusive but can you unlock both classes without preordering? Or would I have to pay extra for Beast Master but unlock machinist if I get the PS4 version without preorder?

so from what I gathered from them in the stream.

Alpha is a new job, which is a free bonus if you preorder, but on the switch eshop they have it as a purchasable thing for $1.99 or $2.99 (can't remember which and to lazy to boot up)

the beast master and machinist jobs are preorder bonuses, but just early unlocks.
there is no exclusive content to either version of the game, you can just earn them in game somehow if you don't get them with the preorder.
I'm not sure if you get the early unlocks if you buy later or not, but either way both the machinist and beast master should be unlockable in game from what they said.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
As far as I know the only major changes from the wii version (I don't know of a wii u version) is that they added a co op setting, added a new job (alpha) and let you befriend some monsters.

most of the other changes are just upgrading the cut scenes and having a new voice over from what I have seen. I haven't heard of any fundamental gameplay changes beyond the co op stuff.

so from what I gathered from them in the stream.

Alpha is a new job, which is a free bonus if you preorder, but on the switch eshop they have it as a purchasable thing for $1.99 or $2.99 (can't remember which and to lazy to boot up)

the beast master and machinist jobs are preorder bonuses, but just early unlocks.
there is no exclusive content to either version of the game, you can just earn them in game somehow if you don't get them with the preorder.
I'm not sure if you get the early unlocks if you buy later or not, but either way both the machinist and beast master should be unlockable in game from what they said.
Thank you for the info! I will probably buy eventually but will consider preordering over the next day. I loved the ps1 version but barely played the Wii one.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you for the info! I will probably buy eventually but will consider preordering over the next day. I loved the ps1 version but barely played the Wii one.
No problem. Also, I make no promises my information is 100% correct, it's just what I heard on that stream, and they said the beast master and machinist stuff a few times lol.

ideally they are accurate, but alas it wouldn't be the first time someone was mistaken on a stream that I listened to if the info is wrong >.<;

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
I only played a bit of the wii version but dug it, might have to give this a go if the porting news is good.