• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I wish they had the budget to do proper 2d instead of cell shading 3d, or at least make the cell shading better.

Other than that, looks really fun and I'm looking forward for it.

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure why I never noticed with the last trailer but seems Chip and a lot of the other 2D characters are just 3D with cel shading? Now I can't unsee it and I don't think I like it. :|

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure why I never noticed with the last trailer but seems Chip and a lot of the other 2D characters are just 3D with cel shading? Now I can't unsee it and I don't think I like it. :|

Maybe its a VR Chat joke. The premise seems to involve cartoon characters updating to "modern CG" but the joke immediately doesn't work when the "2d" characters are blatantly 3d.

Sho Nuff

Jan 6, 2019
Kyoto, JP
It still bugs me that Chip is toon shaded, but they're moving the camera way too much and he's interacting with a bunch other CG elements AND Richard Williams is dead so I guess that's what you gotta do these days to keep it within budget.

Zanaffar

Oct 27, 2017
Give me my weird Gadget fetish
7c6.jpg

yap

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Don't think it's largely a budget thing for the cel-shaded characters since Flounder and others background characters are pretty clearly traditionally 2D animated. The workflow is probably much more attainable having the main characters be of the same medium since they interact alot in a live-action setting.

It's inconsistent, but the movie seems like a fever dream mess as is so *shrug*

Oct 25, 2017
El Centro, CA
Don't know if I care for this angle, but I'm all in since I love Chip and Dale and the original series...BUT, I think a 100% immediate improvement would be to just make Chip and Dale sound like Chip and Dale. Forget their "real" voices.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Don't think it's largely a budget thing for the cel-shaded characters since Flounder and others background characters are pretty clearly traditionally 2D animated.

It is expensive to do what Roger Rabbit was doing. The brief 2d in this movie doesn't seem like its anywhere near that elaborate with the lighting or interacting with real objects. Has that drawn on a pc tablet look to it too.

JAlpsWanderer

Oct 27, 2017
Wow! Hey, look!
It's so many of the things that I knew from when I was a child person! Hah!

Okay, I'll give it a shot.

Last edited:

yap

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It is expensive to do what Roger Rabbit was doing. The brief 2d in this movie doesn't seem like its anywhere near that elaborate with the lighting or interacting with real objects. Has that drawn on a pc tablet look to it too.
I don't think they are trying to emulate Roger Rabbit's style to a tee. Inspired by it, definitely, but as you said lighting and real-world interaction aren't there. With that in mind, I doubt they couldn't have Chip or Peter Pan in 2D at the quality of 2D we're seeing because of budget reasons. Creative decisions aren't always led by how much of a budget you can throw around.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I'm pumped for this. They're basically combining my favorite childhood show with one of the best films of all time (Roger Rabbit) and I'm digging all the different kinds of animation.

The cel shaded instead of 2D sucks but in the trailer it varies how noticeable it is, and I be it wasn't in the budget to do properly.

They sound nothing like Chip and Dale

Going by the trailer, their 'normal' voices are ones they put on for tv. I can live with it.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
It's not Peter Pan though, it's someone named "Mean Dean"

Though tbf, I had no idea about the story of Peter Pan's original VA so I can see why this rubs people the wrong way but also I'm seeing people run with "Peter Pan's the bad guy!" and that's not right.
It's like Roger Rabbit, that means this Mean Dean is the guy who played Peter Pan

Dec 30, 2020
Looks like I was right in my assumption that some sort of gestalt entity was made out of harvested Toon parts.

That claymation detective does have me wondering if Gumby's going to show up. Also I'd VERY much love to see Chip and Dale have to deal with Alvin, Simon, and Theodore at some point.

Also, I spy with my little eye, the hat of a Smurf amongst the harvested pieces.

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is the dwarf with the "weird dead eyes" a specific reference, or just a knock at bad CGI in general?
Bad CGI in general, kinda a knock to that era. You can see it referenced more so at the end of the original teaser video.

www.youtube.com

Chip ‘n Dale: Rescue Rangers | Teaser Trailer | Disney+

PARENTS STREAMING NOW ON DISNEY+ Subscription required, 18+.Rescuing the world takes a pair.A comeback 30 years in the making, the hybrid live-action/CG anim...

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's not Peter Pan though, it's someone named "Mean Dean"

Though tbf, I had no idea about the story of Peter Pan's original VA so I can see why this rubs people the wrong way but also I'm seeing people run with "Peter Pan's the bad guy!" and that's not right.
It's not Peter Pan but it's a pretty uncomfortable association to know the tragic history behind Peter Pan's VA and then to see a character like Mean Dean who is meant to probably be the guy who played Peter Pan in this universe.

MarcelloF

Dec 9, 2020
It's not Peter Pan but it's a pretty uncomfortable association to know the tragic history behind Peter Pan's VA and then to see a character like Mean Dean who is meant to probably be the guy who played Peter Pan in this universe.
I think in this universe Peter Pan plays Peter Pan, as it seems Chip and Dale play Chip and Dale.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I just can't get over the fact they use 3d animation for what should have obviously been 2d, it looks so distractingly bad.

Shigs

Oct 31, 2017
Los Angeles
Is flounder hand drawn 2d animated? He looks great

It seems like all the cameo characters are hand-drawn animated while main characters like Chip and that Peter Pan villain are cel-shaded CGI. It's obvious they cut back the budget on this thing. I bet cel-shaded chip was a stand-in while making the movie and they said "Eh. Good enough."