• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The AP obtained a statement from the Chinese World Health Organization's representative who stated to the AP that essentially a scientific experiment is currently ongoing in Wuhan, China with the quarantine of the city:

January 23, 2020

BEIJING (AP) — China closed off a city of more than 11 million people Thursday in an unprecedented effort to try to stop the spread of a deadly new virus that has sickened hundreds and spread to other cities and countries in the Lunar New Year travel rush.

Police, SWAT teams and paramilitary troops guarded Wuhan's train station as last-minute travelers arrived, only those holding tickets for the last trains allowed to enter. At exactly 10 a.m., metal barriers blocked entrances while helpless would-be travelers were turned away, with some complaining they had nowhere to go.

Virtually everyone at the scene was wearing masks, news website The Paper's live broadcast showed. People have been lining up to buy them at pharmacies, which limited sales to one package per customer. Medical workers wore protective suits outside a hospital where some patients with the viral respiratory illness are being treated.

"To my knowledge, trying to contain a city of 11 million people is new to science," Gauden Galea, the World Health Organization's representative in China, told The Associated Press in an interview at the WHO's Beijing office. "It has not been tried before as a public health measure. We cannot at this stage say it will or it will not work."

Local authorities have demanded all residents wear masks in public places and urged government staff to wear them at work and for shopkeepers to post signs for their visitors, Xinhua quoted a government notice as saying.

"Those who disregard the warning will be punished according to relevant laws and regulations," the notice said.

Virtually no one would be allowed to leave Wuhan, an industrial and transportation hub in central China's Hubei province. Train stations, the airport, subways, ferries and long-distance shuttle buses were closed, according to the state Xinhua News Agency. It cited the city's anti-virus task force as saying the measures were taken in an attempt to "effectively cut off the virus spread, resolutely curb the outbreak and guarantee the people's health and safety."

Felt

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Isn't this the start of Fear the Walking Dead but Wuhan instead of LA?

Randdalf

Oct 28, 2017
The scale is perhaps new to science, but isn't this exactly how some places tackled deadly diseases all the way back to the black death?

Classy Tomato

Jun 2, 2019
I often wonder what'd happen to tourists who just happened to be in a quarantined city. Like, are they gonna rent hotel rooms for unforeseeable times? What'd happen to them if they're running out of money?

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
Fuck is it really this bad? How many people have this virus?
It's just a few hundred people, at least that we know of, but Chinese New Year is coming up and that entails the largest migration of people in the world. Large movements like this tend to increase the rate of disease transmission so the Chinese government decided to step in. It's also a contrast the the slow response of the SARS outbreak, and they're erring on the side of caution this time.

Snormy

I'll think about it
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
I know a lot of people are using pop culture and movies as reference but please be considerate and realise this is not a zombie flick. This is a densely populated city linked with many other super cities in and out of China. The virus is sars-like, people are dying and rightfully worried.

The scale is perhaps new to science, but isn't this exactly how some places tackled deadly diseases all the way back to the black death?

Quarantine is not new. The scale, ease of transport and timing with the Lunar New Year is what makes this so difficult. The nature of the virus is also what makes it urgent.

DiK4

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
It's just a few hundred people, at least that we know of, but Chinese New Year is coming up and that entails the largest migration of people in the world. Large movements like this tend to increase the rate of disease transmission so the Chinese government decided to step in. It's also a contrast the the slow response of the SARS outbreak, and they're erring on the side of caution this time.
Well... I hope somehow this all goes okay. Quarantining that many people seems almost impossible.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
2020 sure came out swinging huh. That size of a quarantine is huge, but its not my main concern. While the outbreak is a serious threat and not something to be taken lightly, not anyone is a teeny tiny bit concerned about this maneuver? If Chona can mobilze and operate on that level for an efficient quarantine, you are gonna start seeing entire ethnic minority cities shut down real quick in the name of public health safety, why do you think they call it an experiment. This shit is gonna be the next tool of ethnic cleansing.

Randdalf

Oct 28, 2017
I know a lot of people are using pop culture and movies as reference but please be considerate and realise this is not a zombie flick. This is a densely populated city linked with many other super cities in and out of China. The virus is sars-like, people are dying and rightfully worried.

Quarantine is not new. The scale, ease of transport and timing with the Lunar New Year is what makes this so big.

I find it hard to fathom that they can totally contain a city of 11 million people, but I suppose countries do the same thing at their national borders.

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
Well... I hope somehow this all goes okay. Quarantining that many people seems almost impossible.
It only seems impossible because you're thinking in terms of Western democracies. In China, the government has all the authority and the people are pretty willing to step in line. So it just requires the closure of all the highways, the trains, and the airports and Wuhan is effectively isolated from the rest of the world. Other countries can theoretically do the same thing but it'd be a lot harder for them to pull it off.

Oct 26, 2017
Hoping for as few deaths and civil liberty violations as possible for the people of Wuhan. This is really sad and scary.

DiK4

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
It only seems impossible because you're thinking in terms of Western democracies. In China, the government has all the authority and the people are pretty willing to step in line. So it just requires the closure of all the highways, the trains, and the airports and Wuhan is effectively isolated from the rest of the world. Other countries can theoretically do the same thing but it'd be a lot harder for them to pull it off.
I hope it works while treating everyone well. All the unrest in Hong Kong makes me wonder about the rest of the country.