• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No one in the Chinese government is getting pissed off about this. It takes more than just saying the name to equate this to slander against the Chinese President. Making it an automatic ban word, absent any detection of actual context, is sheer laziness, pure and simple.

Blizzard will take all the heat because no one knows or cares they don't distribute the game in China. As they should.
The government had paused approving new games releases for several months, no shit chinese companies are going to try to play it safe to prevent something like that form happening again.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Okay to be exact, don't disturb your dead is a thing. People don't like digging up their deceased if they really don't have to. Certainly don't take pictures of it.

But depicting any skeletons in media? Yeah that's bullshit.
Appreciate the insight. It's not that I thought the skeletons/undead wasn't a government mandate thing, but I don't know... I guess it seems so much more naked and offensive when the it's all in service of protecting some old man's feelings, but it really isn't all that different when I think about it huh?

Chinese in China sometimes don't like to joke about literal death the same way Westerners do. Jokes at a funeral would probably be too far (depending on the funeral, it may be appropriate in the West). But rad-ass skeletons in a video game? Chinese gamers love em as much as any other gamer.

kaf

Technical Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
No one in the Chinese government is getting pissed off about this.....

Well we don't know that. The past couple of months have shown just how willing the government is in shutting down games based on.. nothing and everybody has to deal with it.

China is a place that is full of bureaucratic red tape and inane policies. Operating in a country like that requires playing by their rules - and often times that requires partnering with a 100% local / chinese company. It's a rigged system that benefits local companies like Tencent etc.

Blizzard will take all the heat because no one knows or cares they don't distribute the game in China. As they should.

It's more than distribution, it's running the servers and moderation / CS. Ultimately it's upto NetEase to adjust their blacklisted words, and they are going to be under more pressure than a multi-national company to adhere to whatever policies are going on. It's unlikely they'll risk getting the game shut down based on principles.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The part about the banned player threatening to boycott is hilarious. Its similar to those Vita players threatening not to buy a game if the game is not releasing on vita with that "novitanobuy" tag

How are you going to boycott a game if you can't play it in the first place?

hanshen

Jun 24, 2018
Chicago, IL
Many of the biggest companies are still state owned/ controlled though correct and not private ownership?

State capitalism. The state-owned companies are mostly transformed into public traded companies of which the state is the primary stake holder. It happened in late 90s in order to revitalize many failing state-owned corporations that the government deemed as financial liabilities. The process was also driven by corrupt bureaucrats who illegally transferred state-owned properties under private ownership without compensating the state and thus the tax payers. Healthcare and social security also undergoes the privatization process where the state sponsored benefits are greatly reduced.

In short, it's communist in name only, mostly to justify its sovereignty.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The part about the banned player threatening to boycott is hilarious. Its similar to those Vita players threatening not to buy a game if the game is not releasing on vita with that "novitanobuy" tag

How are you going to boycott a game if you can't play it in the first place?
Because most Vita owners also own other consoles, and it's purely a matter of convenience. You really had to stretch for this shitpost.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt thats the case because they will have buy them on other platforms and remote play instead, but if you insist, sure
They don't have to do anything. The point being made is that people would simply skip the game entirely, even if it was released on another system they owned. I don't know how else you think the entire concept works.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Shit this is the modern version of telling your opponent to press alt+f4

Oct 26, 2017
300px-River_crab1.jpg

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
isn't China officially communist??

The PRC is pretty close to Fascist if you go by the actual textbook definition. The only real difference is that the Communist Party is "technically" controlled by a group of people rather than a powerful individual, and the state has largely refrained from promoting large-scale military/political violence (since the 1989 Tiananmen Square Massacre anyway).

I'd argue they're an example of a "modern" Fascist state where explicit violence has been replaced with more subtle and covert techniques.

ragingbegal

Oct 27, 2017
Winnie the Pooh isnt really banned in China. Just that meme image.
Winnie the Pooh is in KH3 thats available on the Mainland and Disney Shanghai.
You can literally find the movies and tv shows on Tencent Video:

http://v.qq.com/detail/h/hv4di3jij7mymr4.html

It seems more that Blizzard is doing it out of fear.
Disney might be forced to retheme the Winnie to Pooh attractions in Shanghai.
https://www.businessinsider.com/winnie-the-pooh-shanghai-disneyland-meme-2018-11

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They don't have to do anything. The point being made is that people would simply skip the game entirely, even if it was released on another system they owned. I don't know how else you think the entire concept works.

If thats the stance they take, it means they are fanboys more than gamers, which means its their own fault

data

Oct 25, 2017
This is stupid on both Blizzard and China's end.

Permanently banning people for saying a few words that weren't directed at anyone is definitely not going to be good for Blizzard's image.

I can't imagine what other disasters this could potentially bring. Let's not forget Netease is working with them to bring Diablo Immortal and you know how people reacted to that

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
... Am I allowed to laugh because of the whole Winnie the Pooh thing? Or should I share sympathy for the people being banned by trolls?

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
Blizzard should not be allowing this, but I guess profits supersede freedom of speech and common sense.

SomaXD

Oct 27, 2017
A little bit OT, but this how 'communist' China is: Leading Chinese Marxist student taken away by police on Mao's birthday

TL;DR - The government arrested the head of Beijing University's Marxist Society because they 'team up with labor activists to support factory workers fighting the right to set up their own union.'

I never really paid attention to how bad China is when it comes to this stuff until the whole Winnie the Pooh thing... after digging into it ive come to realize just how awful people have it over there... their government is fucking absurd, and the people are highly brainwashed (i saw a video with citizens talking about how they were completely on board with the whole black mirror credit system and surveillance.)

JayBabay

Oct 25, 2017
California
Does anyone know if the reason for the massive review bombing on that Taiwanese game was from supporters of the President, who take personal offense to his being comparing to Winnie the Pooh, or are they mad because they know the government was going to be more hands on with games releases and/or censorship?

Rean

Oct 27, 2017
i read about the same rumor that if you type that in chat in apex legends (when you are playing with chinese hacker for example), it will drop them from the game - apparently chinese firewall does that and bans them from internet

bobbychalkers

Oct 26, 2017
The Streissand Effect is real. I have heard this connotation more times this month that I've heard the entire last year.

hanshen

Jun 24, 2018
Chicago, IL
I never really paid attention to how bad China is when it comes to this stuff until the whole Winnie the Pooh thing... after digging into it ive come to realize just how awful people have it over there... their government is fucking absurd, and the people are highly brainwashed (i saw a video with citizens talking about how they were completely on board with the whole black mirror credit system and surveillance.)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/People's_democratic_dictatorship
This shit is written in the Chinese constitution from the beginning, thus 70 years of indoctrination, now most people believes it.
It just means that any social deviation can be deemed enemy of the people and therefore stripped of any right. That's how human rights activists and lawyers get arrested. And most people will think that's a good thing.

Gxgear

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver
小熊維尼

Companies bending over backwards to accommodate censorship sucks. Don't think I've forgotten about you Ubisoft.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
If Blizzard didn't concede and bow to the Chinese government's nonsense then those same players who are getting banned wouldn't have been able to game in the first place.

I think going after Blizzard or capitalism in general in this case is egregious at best. Capitalist or not, it makes zero sense to ignore such a large and growing market, and with that comes the necessity to comply with laws and standards in that market.

This counts for ANY market you want to launch a product in. That those laws, standards and regulations in China are so ridiculous and problematic is the real issue here.

There's also a strong likelihood that Blizzard doesn't distribute or manage the games Chinese presence, and instead a Chinese partner is dealing with all of this. But Era is often good at selectively ignoring facts, context and logic so some of the reactions in here don't surprise me.

Last edited: