• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
image1-e1500403349403.jpg

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Its getting to the point that he's basically going to be associated with Winnie the Pooh because of how hard they're cracking down on anything even related to the character. I expect future textbooks to have a pictures or mentions of Winnie the Pooh when mentioning Xi Ping.

He knows no other way and believes it works. Maybe we could paint Pooh on some Nukes for WW3, all the way to the end.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I'm imagining an alternate universe where using the words "small" and "hands" in the same sentence getting you banned.

Oct 27, 2017
in what way are you stating that?

I just looked it up on both wikipedia and a general search of the political ruling party

After Mao (who was an ardent communist) died, China's next leader, Deng Xiaoping introduced some reforms to the economic system, and that's when the Chinese economy actually picked up. Why do they keep the facade of a Communist state, well I really don't understand.

Link Gray

Oct 27, 2017
This reminds me, wasn't Pooh in kingdom hearts pretty much censored in China or something? I need to see that gif lol

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The communist party is in control, but they're very not communist.
After Mao died, China's next leader, Deng Xiaoping introduced some reforms to the economic system, and that's when the Chinese economy actually picked up. Why do they keep the facade of a Communist state, well I really don't understand.
I thought communist countries in general are characterized by heavy censorship policies like this? and other stuff like propaganda that China also seems to do?

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
It's used to ridicule their president and he doesn't like that so it's full Chinese crackdown censorship on Winnie the Pooh. It's a form of rebelion against a corrupt authoritarian government and they don't like that.

Winnie the Pooh isnt really banned in China. Just that meme image.
Winnie the Pooh is in KH3 thats available on the Mainland and Disney Shanghai.
You can literally find the movies and tv shows on Tencent Video:

http://v.qq.com/detail/h/hv4di3jij7mymr4.html

It seems more that Blizzard is doing it out of fear.

This reminds me, wasn't Pooh in kingdom hearts pretty much censored in China or something? I need to see that gif lol

No. AV9G did it themselves when they wrote an article about the trailer.

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
so, you can't talk about Winnie the Pooh even in actual proper context like discussing the show?

they've gone full stupid with this ban.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
Even if it's censored in China, Xi Jinping surely must know this overreaction to the Winnie the Pooh meme just makes him look a like fool to the rest of the world right? Though I guess it doesn't matter when everyone is willing to bend over backwards for him anyway.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
After not understanding this I looked up comparisons and ya he looks like Winnie the Pooh. Jokes aside, banning for this is pathetic.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
Chinese players don't care about that 'sensitivity' by and large. They did it because the Chinese government has vague standards on the matter. I've done research on it, and either China tells companies what to do behind closed doors or companies get the jist of what is needed to prevent being banned.
You say that but we don't really have a rule about it. We have zombies and vampires and lots and lots of dead corpses in our entertainment (Hong Kong, Taiwan, Singapore etc) for years, this is clearly a Chinese government thingy.
Appreciate the insight. It's not that I thought the skeletons/undead wasn't a government mandate thing, but I don't know... I guess it seems so much more naked and offensive when the it's all in service of protecting some old man's feelings, but it really isn't all that different when I think about it huh?

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A reminder that NetEase is the one publishing the game in China.
I thought communist countries in general are characterized by heavy censorship policies like this? and other stuff like propaganda that China also seems to do?
Do you think North Korea is a Democracy because the country is called Democratic People's Republic of Korea ?

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Appreciate the insight. It's not that I thought the skeletons/undead wasn't a government mandate thing, but I don't know... I guess it seems so much more naked and offensive when the it's all in service of protecting some old man's feelings, but it really isn't all that different when I think about it huh?

Okay to be exact, don't disturb your dead is a thing. People don't like digging up their deceased if they really don't have to. Certainly don't take pictures of it.

But depicting any skeletons in media? Yeah that's bullshit.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Siege's probably going to do the same. It's actually really disgusting.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The buck for this still stops with Blizzard. It's their game.

Blizzard also has the best chance of affecting a change to this policy if this hits their reputation hard enough that they have to intervene.
what buck? The game is published by a chinese publisher and no shit a chinese publisher will avoid pissing off their government. Banning everyone on China from playing the game is not really a solution.

Oct 27, 2017
The buck for this still stops with Blizzard. It's their game.

Blizzard also has the best chance of affecting a change to this policy if this hits their reputation hard enough that they have to intervene.
Even Google, one of the biggest and most powerful companies in the world, had to compromise dude. Blizzard won't even register on the Chinese government radar.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
what buck? The game is published by a chinese publisher and no shit a chinese publisher will avoid pissing off their government. Banning everyone on China from playing the game is not really a solution.
No one in the Chinese government is getting pissed off about this. It takes more than just saying the name to equate this to slander against the Chinese President. Heck, there's probably no way this would show up on any radar absent it being an automated ban, given the ephemeral nature of in-game chat. Making it an automatic ban word, absent any detection of actual context, is sheer laziness, pure and simple.

Blizzard will take all the heat because no one knows or cares they don't distribute the game in China. As they should.

LycanXIII

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
They need to put a Tigger Warning on the game.

But also stop letting China get away with something so dumb.