• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

vinnykappa

Oct 27, 2017
So on China's Overwatch's official forum and social media, Chinese OW players are reporting getting banned for answering a simple question in public chat: Who is the best friend of Tigger? And if you take the bait and type "Winnie" or "Winnie the Pooh", your account will be banned within a few minutes.

Many have since submitted tickets, and there has been no official response from Blizzard or Netease. And the discussion on social media has been purged. The OW forum is still filled with reports.

11A5Gwb.jpg

1a6IQ0k.jpg

WQpDYjY.jpg

S5wQ0pg.jpg

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
They're typing the Chinese words for "Winnie the Pooh"? Is there a double meaning or something?

tenderbrew

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Really makes you have pause for these companies entering China and needing to adhere to this kind of stuff.

Pretty shameful.

Daedardus

Oct 25, 2017
They're typing the Chinese words for "Winnie the Pooh"? Is there a double meaning or something?

It's used to ridicule their president and he doesn't like that so it's full Chinese crackdown censorship on Winnie the Pooh. It's a form of rebelion against a corrupt authoritarian government and they don't like that.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
So blizzard is now doing censoring on behalf of the chinese government?
When .. how.. why??

It seems utterly ridiculous.

I'm tempted to type winnie the pooh in the chat there now to see if they will ban me as well (not living in china), but I'm not buying the game just for that.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
It makes me think back to responding to Chinese gold spammers in WoW trying to start conversations with them about unionizing or liberating Tibet.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Wow, such interesting times we live in. Kind of dickhead behavior to bait that way, with dear leader and his complex.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
I still can't get over how sensitive he is to the whole Pooh thing and how it's come to this - baiting people into typing it to get them banned. It's so absurd it's funny.

zHiNXXu.gif

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
shame Xi can't embrace the meme lifestyle like Reggie

Its getting to the point that he's basically going to be associated with Winnie the Pooh because of how hard they're cracking down on anything even related to the character. I expect future textbooks to have a pictures or mentions of Winnie the Pooh when mentioning Xi Ping.

Majiebeast

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Im sorry but this is funny, i feel bad for the banned players but that is some high level trolling.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
These are not even remotely the same thing. Depictions of the dead is about Chinese cultural sensitivity, not protecting a ruthless political leader's fragile ego.

Chinese players don't care about that 'sensitivity' by and large. They did it because the Chinese government has vague standards on the matter. I've done research on it, and either China tells companies what to do behind closed doors or companies get the jist of what is needed to prevent being banned.

Pata Hikari

Banned
Jan 15, 2018
Honestly I'm hoping that the increasingly nonsensical demands China is putting on media companies leads to them finally deciding to abandon this mess as not worth the effort.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
These are not even remotely the same thing. Depictions of the dead is about Chinese cultural sensitivity, not protecting a ruthless political leader's fragile ego.

You say that but we don't really have a rule about it. We have zombies and vampires and lots and lots of dead corpses in our entertainment (Hong Kong, Taiwan, Singapore etc) for years, this is clearly a Chinese government thingy.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Baiting people into getting censored and banned is a pretty bizarre new form of trolling...

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
I laughed, but I felt super guilty about it. Like these people might lose social credit points.

Fuck the Chinese government and fuck the companies enabling their censorship.