• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Asator

Oct 27, 2017
Chinese officials have also started calling it the "Italian virus" and "Japanese virus": https://bitterwinter.org/de-sinicizing-the-virus-how-ccp-propaganda-is-rewriting-history/

Secret documents instruct Chinese diplomats and agents to call COVID-19 "Italian virus," claim it did not originate in Wuhan, and promote Xi Jinping as the heroic leader who defeated the virus.

According to the report, embassies have been instructed to "raise doubts" in the public opinion, suggesting that perhaps the virus originally came to China from abroad. The same article mentions that the Chinese embassy in Tokyo has started promoting the use of the expression "Japanese virus" to designate COVID-19 (although this was denied by Japanese media), and that other Chinese sources mention an "Italian virus" or an "Iranian virus."

The CCP goes even further. It asks the world to "say thank you to China" for its allegedly perfect reaction to the virus. The CCP-controlled media keep explaining that democratic countries could not have taken such decisive measures against measures as China did, because Western-style democracy limits the powers of the governments. This should prove, once again, the superiority of the Chinese non-democratic system.

Quick reminder that China isn't anybody's friend, especially not of democracy or truth.

OP
OP
Poetic Injustice
Oct 25, 2017
On Friday, Stilwell sought to put the Chinese government on notice that the US will not tolerate the comments they have been making in seeing to deflect blame for coronavirus, which have not been limited to Zhao's tweet on Thursday.
Earlier Friday, Zhao's fellow Foreign Ministry spokesman Geng Shuang said there were "varied opinions" on the origin of the virus in the international community.
"China always considers this a scientific question, which should be addressed in a scientific and professional manner," he said, avoiding questions on whether Zhao's tweet represented the Chinese government's official position.
The country's top infectious disease expert and government health officials have also cast doubt on where the virus originated.
Meanwhile, the Trump administration has become increasingly aggressive in its criticism directed at China despite Trump's initial praise for Beijing's handling of the outbreak.

edition.cnn.com

US summons Chinese ambassador over coronavirus conspiracy theory

US Assistant Secretary of State David Stilwell summoned China's ambassador in Washington to the State Department Friday morning, hours after a prominent Chinese official suggested that the US military may have been responsible for bringing the coronavirus to Wuhan, the epicenter of the global...

Ceerious

Oct 27, 2017
Asian
I don't know China, I don't think I believe this.

Can the US Army even find Wuhan on a map?
Lord knows I cant.

Now if you had blamed the US Air Force or Navy at least your accusation would appear slightly more credible ...

But what if the US military got into a Chinese research facility and deployed the virus there? Makes ya thiiinkk

Last October, Wu Han held a military-theme sports event "7th CISM Military World Games". American participated. This is the base of this stupid conspiracy theory

You have to understand that China isn't doing this to convince the world. This is mainly for their domestic audience. In the past few months, the Chinese people have gotten more and more angry at the Government's initial handling of the crisis (by trying to silence the doctors and bury the whole thing). The government needs a way to turn this anger elsewhere. By blaming the U.S. they hope to give a foreign face to the whole thing and redirect the anger of the Chinese people. Will it work? Who knows.

All this

SOBOSLDR

Nov 27, 2017
China is unwise to play this game. After this is over anti-Chinese sentiment will be high all over the world. They should be trying their best to help the rest of the world and show they mean business by shutting down exotic animal trade hard. This could easily turn into a world vs China conflict situation.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Is that conspiracy theory that the Chinese government killed the coronavirus whistleblower then said he died of coronavirus still a thing?

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
China is unwise to play this game. After this is over anti-Chinese sentiment will be high all over the world. They should be trying their best to help the rest of the world and show they mean business by shutting down exotic animal trade hard. This could easily turn into a world vs China conflict situation.
Agreed. A lot of businesses are going to be re-evaluating their relationship as well from the business journals I read.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
This is only really going to work within China.

To the world, there's no spinning. This is a Chinese virus caused by Chinese negligence.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
That's still really bad tho.

Blame the rest of the world
Get the public on your side
Reopen wet markets
Time passes
A new deadly outbreak occurs
Repeat

The problem is that the West might become more reluctant to give China passes. Which will hurt the Chinese economy if they don't take necessary measures. China NEEDS foreign investment.

The SARS outbreak was nothing compared to this.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is that conspiracy theory that the Chinese government killed the coronavirus whistleblower then said he died of coronavirus still a thing?
We have no evidence of that being true but it wouldn't surprise me if that did happen. Especially considering what typically happens to whistleblowers in China. Hell, there is a guy who went to Wuhan and was conducting interviews and posting them on social media, he's been missing for a month (This American Life did a story on him).

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
I hope nobody believes that bullshit

DrewFu

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
So China knew about the virus for months, and did NOTHING in an attempt to hide it. Now that it's out of control, China is blaming other countries for the virus...

Fuck China

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
How about instead shutting down grey wildlife markets so more viruses from exotic animals don't spread to humans in the future. But nope have to blame the rest of the world for a global crisis the Chinese government is accountable for.

Given the human and economic impact of the virus I can't see the world letting China off the hook for this so easily.

Deleted member 54580

Banned
Mar 7, 2019
No China its because of all the disgusting shit you eat and your disease ridden filthy wet markets That's where the virus came from.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
They need something to ensure they're own people they didn't fuck them over so hard.

They aren't known as the propaganda machine for nothing.

Ceerious

Oct 27, 2017
Asian
We have no evidence of that being true but it wouldn't surprise me if that did happen. Especially considering what typically happens to whistleblowers in China. Hell, there is a guy who went to Wuhan and was conducting interviews and posting them on social media, he's been missing for a month (This American Life did a story on him).

No, the whistleblower, Dr.Li, died of coronavirus. That's the truth. Those who fabricate this kind of conspiracy theory really don't know how Chinese government's proganda machine works. The whistleblower was already famous prior to his death. The Chinese government almost never kill those who had positive reputations.They know that, the best way to control the narrative, is to keep him at the party's side. They tried their best to save Dr.Li while he was in critical condition but failed.

DrewFu

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
I can't even imagine how bad China's image is going to be, once all the dust settles. I have to imagine this is going to be bad for them politically, socially and financially well after this is over.

Rocket Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
China's wet markets are absolutely fucking disgusting. The world seriously needs to grow a spine and finally sanction this garbage behavior from the CCP. Literally commiting genocide with the Uighers and all these infectious diseases coming from there because of unbelievably unhygienic practices.

water_wendi

Oct 25, 2017
I can't even imagine how bad China's image is going to be, once all the dust settles. I have to imagine this is going to be bad for them politically, socially and financially well after this is over.
In six months time when nearly every person on the planet will have a personal story to tell about covid-19 China is going to find itself in a really bad spot trying to reclaim customers.

Praglik

Nov 3, 2017
SH
A lot of people are treating China as one big entity, I guess it's easier for this audience. But the truth is, the government at a country level is desperate to contain the virus like anybody else.

Just to give you a straight-up comparison between the beginning of the Coronavirus and Chernobyl's aftermath: each layer of bureaucracy was trying to diminish its importance to their higher-ups, leading to the top officials' inaction. After the whole thing turning into a proper modern plague, those local officials were sanctioned (or just plain murdered, we don't really know, but their career is absolutely over).

You have to understand the concept of "Face". To a Chinese government official, not doing your job properly is losing face big time. That's just not acceptable, and they're wiggling around to pretend everything's fine.

Now 99% of young people don't really care about "face", "facts", or "truth". If there's no elections, there's no need to sway the public opinion on anything. They want safety and prosperity, no matter how. There will be no revolution, there will be nobody standing against the CCP.

So those government officials saying weird shit on Twitter (which is banned here in China, so I don't even know how he gets there as VPNs are illegal) are really not going to affect most people's opinion on the matter. It's mostly conversation fodder for old people blabbering about during their afternoon tea with their neighbors.

GungHo

Nov 27, 2017
So those government officials saying weird shit on Twitter (which is banned here in China, so I don't even know how he gets there as VPNs are illegal) are really not going to affect most people's opinion on the matter. It's mostly conversation fodder for old people blabbering about during their afternoon tea with their neighbors.
There's also a significant diaspora of folks within the last 50 years that rumormongers still try to get their hooks into. Despite the education of those folks, there is still some deep-seated credulousness for some individuals that community, and various groups throw a lot of shit at the wall to see what sticks.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I mean no one should be surprised. This is Trump's #1 tactic. They're just playing his game.

Riboflavin

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Getting soldiers off work by 5 pm may as well be trying to perform open heart surgery with a flaccid penis but an elaborate scheme to start an epidemic across the world would totally be successful.

Not seeing it, sorry CCP.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No, the whistleblower, Dr.Li, died of coronavirus. That's the truth. Those who fabricate this kind of conspiracy theory really don't know how Chinese government's proganda machine works. The whistleblower was already famous prior to his death. The Chinese government almost never kill those who had positive reputations.They know that, the best way to control the narrative, is to keep him at the party's side. They tried their best to save Dr.Li while he was in critical condition but failed.
This is the part I'm suspect of. I believe he died of the virus, but I'm not convinced they did everything they could to save him. We will never know either way but considering the way the government is treating other whistleblowers during just this pandemic, I see no reason to give them the benefit of the doubt.

The guy making videos in Wuhan had a positive reputation too, that didn't save him.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I agree. It seems to me that it's also likely counter productive to China's interests. They seemed to be on a smart path years ago as their economy was growing steadily they weren't pissing off their neighbors. As they've become more aggressive in the South China Sea they've annoyed a lot of countries. It seems to me that they've thrown away a slow/steady/reasonable path toward being the preeminent superpower and it'll bite them in the ass and slow their ascent. This type of conspiracy theory peddling.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
The US Army has brought a lot of bad things to a lot of places. But nah, this ain't it

Mar 3, 2019
Annual fuck the CCP for being totalitarian garbage. I look forward to seeing the usual suspects attempt to spin this in defense of the CCP, just like anytime the Uyighurs are brought up.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1Y7Wc94.gif

As others have said this is for a domestic audience and further - our own orange bag of shit started his Oval Office speech by calling it a Chinese virus, then a foreign virus and then blamed it on Europe for not reacting as brilliantly as Trump.

the UK is blaming it on Euro banana regulations and basically trying to cure it by hosting a brexit pox party.

china is behaving atrociously as expected - both with the initial suppression- then a period of very serious effort we'd do well to understand and now back to slurpingXi Jinping. But they're in good company...

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
There is no need for the CCP to do this, tin foil hatters & people trying too hard to be woke are already blaming USA. CIA's track record makes it easy to pin the blame on them too.