• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
the Chinese government told Chinese government offices and public institutions that they need to remove all foreign software and computer equipment within three years, according to a report by the Financial Times. The move could require 20 to 30 million devices to be replaced in that time, according to analysts that spoke with the Financial Times. This move is the next step in a lengthening trade war between the United States and the Chinese government.

The move to replace so many devices could have a large impact on American manufacturers like Microsoft, Dell, and HP, but could also impact the China-based Lenovo. As the Guardian points out, Lenovo is based in China, but parts of its devices, including processors and hard drives, are made by American companies.

Lock if foreign computer found after three years

Oct 27, 2017
How the hell does that work with legacy/enterprise software?

Also, I feel the only reason to do this is to install spyware on every computer.

jediyoshi

Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to piece together in my head a PC workstation that is only Chinese parts but I'm not seeing it.

Jadax

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tbh I feel like they've stolen enough software ideas/blueprints to be able to make functional ones. The issue is hardware, that shit requires machinery, people with skills, the resources etc EVEN after you've stolen the patents/blueprints.

Oct 27, 2017
China is very much a "move fast and break things" kind of country. I suspect this will quietly be a disaster and we'll never hear about it.

I'm certain there will be several years, maybe even a decade, of them running two pieces of software side-by-side. Literally everything you do, you have to do twice.

Tbh I feel like they've stolen enough software ideas/blueprints to be able to make functional ones. The issue is hardware, that shit requires machinery, people with skills, the resources etc EVEN after you've stolen the patents/blueprints.

You still have to build and test the shit. It takes a long time (much longer than whatever the initial plan was) when even a medium sized company wants to migrate to new software.

Crimsonskies

Alt account
Banned
Nov 1, 2019
Meh China will be fine they got these guys I hear Binbows 10 by Michaelsoft is truly an amazing opearting system :P

funny-name-brand-imitation-13__605.jpg

Jul 18, 2018
Feels like this might just be a pissing contest. They are not self sufficient enough when it comes to DRAM, NAND, GPU requirements and production. I bet they will try to find a way to hassle american competitors and perhaps the election cycle possibly turning parties can help them develop better negotiations.

Deleted member 3888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just use some chinese linux distros or recompile one and call it Chinux, replace the penguin with a bear or something.