• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
Before getting together with my partner I would only rarely eat Chinese food but since then I have tried a lot of different styles (whether it is amazing home cooked meals or eat-in/takeaway at any of many Chinese restaurants where we live). I just love the vast, vast majority of what I tried.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
Damn those are some awesome pictures.
I love Chongqing so much, my spiciest (hurr hurr) food take is that Chongqing has better Sichuanese food than Chengdu. I'm not sure it's an overall a better food city, since Chengdu got a lot of other things going for it, but if you strictly Sichuanese food, especially the full on SPICY experience I like Chongqing better.

I am unsure how much this take is influenced by the fact that Chongqing has a monorail but I'd imagine it had quite a bit to do with it.

Thanks!

Chongqing is just a "spicier" city in general. I've had some insane experiences in that city that could have only happened there. Chengdu is a pussycat in comparison.

D23

Oct 25, 2017
Beef chow fun, honey walnut shrimp, salted fish fried rice, egg foo young and chinese brocolli/ string beans. And duck…

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Thanks!

Chongqing is just a "spicier" city in general. I've had some insane experiences in that city that could have only happened there. Chengdu is a pussycat in comparison.
I don't know exactly what you're talking about but I also know exactly what you're talking about, if you know what I mean.

Anyway xiao mian, let's talk about that

god bless breakfast noodles

Last edited:

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
The worst part about moving to Europe was losing access to decent Szechuanese food. And dim sum. And bubble tea...

NPTinker

May 2, 2020
Chinese food is usually too spicy and oily for my taste. But I live in Vietnam so I don't know what Chinese dishes taste like in western sphere

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Is this the time where I can pimp my super small TikTok channel in which I show how to cook Chinese food? Well my fried rice recipe is quite popular at least. I have done stuff like Kung Pao Chicken, garlic eggplant and mapo tofu. My name on there is xatermb if anyone is interested.

The worst part about moving to Europe was losing access to decent Szechuanese food. And dim sum. And bubble tea...

That entirely depends where in Europe you are. I can easily get all those things here in Germany.

Nov 8, 2017
I usually get Chinese food when I just want something cheap or in larger quantities, but otherwise I don't find it very exciting. Probably my least favourite choice of takeaway outside of burgers and pizza.

That said, the pictures in this thread look way more interesting than any Chinese food I've had around here.

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
They were setup by different immigrants which come from different regional cousine, there is no one more authentic than the other.
Here in Singapore they are not just classified as Chinese, but also as Cantonese, Szechuan etc

That makes lots of sense.

I dont know what you mean by west coast being more authentic. For sure the west coast has more better quality chinese restaurants with the diaspora of HK people there. As for lo mein, Im even more confused. Even the chinese american carryout has decent enough lo mein.

I hate the whole concept of authentic food, but I think it's true that the west coast does have more food that is similar to contemporary Chinese cuisine than the east coast.
But the west coast also really not lacking in great Chinese American food, and really you can get lo mein pretty much everywhere.

The vast majority of the time I only find chow mein on the west coast (Bay Area), whereas east coast (or Florida at least) had lo mein everywhere but no chow mein. On the rare occasion I've found lo mein on a menu out here it hasn't been prepared or tasted like what I'm used to.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
A good ma la xiang guo

ma-la-xiang-guo-10.jpg

Pelleas

Oct 28, 2017
Pork Egg Foo Young, Sesame Chicken and Wonton Soup.

Actual Chinese restaurant food: Pan Fried Flounder

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Stopped eating meat a few years back and Chinese was always one thing I missed most. Then I found out about a place in my town that does Indo-Chinese American dishes but all vegan. Have no clue how they do it but they have "beef", "chicken", "prawns", etc. done pretty freaking perfectly and I grab that every once in a while. So good. I've tricked friends a few times and they had no idea and even didn't believe me after I told them it's all fake meat lol. The textures and dishes are sublime.

C66-D1692-32-E1-4-D46-974-A-CDD1-E9-A3169-F.jpg

Now if only I could find a good "sushi" place :(

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
I was about to say this. The shit you get in the majority of restaurants compared to the food you get in China are two very different things. Unless it's an authentic Chinese place, which I have rarely seen.
It's cuisine created by and cooked by Chinese chefs. If they just did what is popular in China they would never have gotten a foothold in the restaurant scene.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't had it since I was a child, but I tend to stray from vegetables because I'm a monster. Pickiest eater 2022.

Otakunofuji

Oct 27, 2017
My favorite thing about Chinese food is that absolutely no one cares when fools try to shit up the conversation and act like the Americanized version of Chinese food is some crime against humanity. It's still awesome even if it isn't authentic. That kind of goes for the "real" version of everything, though. It's all good.

Prison_mike

Oct 26, 2017
OP, you aint lyin, but you need to specify GOOD Chinese food. Big difference

I'm living outside San Antonio ATM moment but was just in Calgary.... and WOW. The Chinese food there was Godly.. better than NYC

Oct 25, 2017
I chefed up some of the Josh Weissman "yo this is cheap" chicken chow mein last night and was pleasantly surprised. Crushes any take out I've had.

Once Covid is all wrapped up and I can eat in a restaurant again I'm gonna hit up a couple local Chinese places nearby. Fresh noodles are just <3

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Who's sleeping on Western Chinese Food?

My go to dishes are Steamed Chicken and Broccoli with some very spicy garlic sauce on the side for dipping. Gotta have a bit of white rice with it ya know.

Some crab rangoon. A place I frequent makes theirs from sratch. Dough too. So good.

This same place makes a red braised beef soup with hand pulled noodles. It's so god damn good. This is just a takeout place too.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
I really like bittermelon, but it's definitely an acquired taste. lol

Same with "extremely" fermented tofu, which I guess is more colloquially known as stinky tofu.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I was about to say this. The shit you get in the majority of restaurants compared to the food you get in China are two very different things. Unless it's an authentic Chinese place, which I have rarely seen.
That's true. Lots of places in the US are not at all authentic. With that said, it's certainly possible to find authentic Chinese restaurants in the US, however. I drove fairly far to pick up from one yesterday in Phoenix (or Tempe to be more specific).
Xiao long bao is one of my absolute favorite dishes but there are lots of great Chinese dishes. Mapo or Mabo Dofu is great although I'm fairly wimpy when it comes to spice so there are times when it's a bit too spicy for me. Good fried rice, as simple as it is, can be amazing although it seems like I usually have better luck with fried rice from Thai places than Chinese places. Fried rice cakes are something I rarely see but always love.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
I love bao. I've had some great Americanized versions like Mana Pua and some fusion ones like Birria Bao. So good.

I do like most Americanized Chinese food, except when it's a lot of sugar meat, and I'd love to try the food one would get in China.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's true. Lots of places in the US are not at all authentic. With that said, it's certainly possible to find authentic Chinese restaurants in the US, however. I drove fairly far to pick up from one yesterday in Phoenix (or Tempe to be more specific).
Xiao long bao is one of my absolute favorite dishes but there are lots of great Chinese dishes. Mapo or Mabo Dofu is great although I'm fairly wimpy when it comes to spice so there are times when it's a bit too spicy for me. Good fried rice, as simple as it is, can be amazing although it seems like I usually have better luck with fried rice from Thai places than Chinese places. Fried rice cakes are something I rarely see but always love.
Oh yeah, without a doubt you could go out of your way to find one but unless you live close by, that food will be cold by the time you get back. Some people are lucky enough to live near an authentic place, I'm jealous!

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
I managed to rustle up a few more pictures of some of my favourite dishes.

Macanese pork chop bun. I LOVE these things. They were pretty common to find in HK restaurants in Shanghai, but the best I had was in Macau, of course.

I adore good dim sum, and Shanghai has a ton of good restaurants. I'm all about the steamed black bean spare ribs and the turnip cake.

Hong Shao Rou (braised pork belly) is the GOAT. I don't eat it too often, for obvious reasons, but it's in my top five meat dishes ever

And here another picture of those amazing Ma Jiang noodles and the world's best shrimp and pork dumplings

If you ever find yourself in Tainan, Taiwan, go here. Thank me later.

43113235_10161477768235131_7617486148587225088_n.jpg

Last edited:

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I know this is a long shot but does anyone know any good Chinese places in Zapopan, Mexico? So far the cream of the crop is Panda Express and PF Chang's so not great. Lived in Taiwan for half a decade so chain restaurants aren't cutting it.

Also could use a sushi place. Every sushi place I've tried here has been dreadful. A couple places the sushi was even wet. Also I tried ordering gyoza at one place and they gave me empanadas.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Depends. If local Chinese takeout, ie, American Chinese, hot and sour soup, eggplant with garlic sauce, Singapore chow mei fun.
If authentic Chinese, fish fillets with bok choy, beef noodle soup, hainanese chicken.
If regional specific like Szechuan, mapo tofu, fish with napa cabbage, chong qing chicken, double sautéed string beans and eggplant.

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
im kinda boring, i just love chicken w/ broccoli. i could drink brown sauce from a glass tbh