• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Will kids give a shit? No. Should adults give a shit? No.

Frankly I'd like to see them go back to the original source material where her feet constantly bleed as though walking on knives, the prince falls in love with someone else and the mermaid's sisters try and trick her into murdering the prince and his new bride whilst they sleep. Fun for all the family!

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
Sound like clickbait articles.

I mean they are just quoting some weibo (twitter) comments. Would be the same as me writing an article "German moviegoers are mad about the casting of Mulan", then find 5-6 twitter posts of some alt-right asshole to paint an article.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Whatever happened to meritocracy in this case that people like to use to justify White casting? The director states they had an international search and Halle Bailey was by far the best fit that had all the qualities they were looking for.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
If they really cared about the original story, I would also expect complaints about how Disney has altered the entire message of the original fairytale to be more marketable to kids.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Fuck them. Some people have too much time in their hands and care too much. If you get offended that the little mermaid is black, you are an idiot snowflake.

MGPanda

Feb 25, 2018
At least seems that Disney is a pretty advanced company in this regard and will keep ignoring these assholes. If you don't have anything better to do than complain about the fact that a fictional character from a movie is played by a black woman, your voice doesn't deserve to be heard.

OP
OP
Yukari

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand
At least seems that Disney is a pretty advanced company in this regard and will keep ignoring these assholes. If you don't have anything better to do than complain about the fact that a fictional character from a movie is played by a black woman, your voice doesn't deserve to be heard.

The problem is Disney's seems very care for China a lot (Look Mulan)
Time will tell, I guess?

Danteyke223

Banned
Oct 24, 2018
I dont fucking care. How can people be upset about a skin colour of an old story that was adapted into a cartoon. Also who gives a shit about Chinese viewers, that country bans or restricts movies and games. Stop pandering to them. Remake Red Dawn again with China as a villain you cowards rather than North Korea!

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
Also who gives a shit about Chinese viewers, that country bans or restricts movies and games. Stop pandering to them.

What do the citizens of China have to do with the censorship laws of their government?

Besides, like I said. Those two "news reports" cherrypick some weibo comments and then say "Chinese moviegoers arent happy" or the other article "Chinese Disney fans" arent happy...
Its stupid and clickbait imo.

The same happened with Black Panther, when some websites posted Douban user reviews out of 241421 reviews and found like 10 who said some racist shit.

Trn25

Banned
May 23, 2019
I'd be happy if Disney never cast a white lead again. Their history of racism is horrific

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not against the casting choice at all, but i'm slightly upset we won't get a redhead actress for Ariel. We need more of those too.

Zimmiwood

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
For me, It looks like china history action wars movies (No Mushu, No Music)
but what does disney making mulan have to do with them caring about some chinese tweets regarding ariel???
for the record, i don't for a minute believe disney didn't anticipate this kinda backlash, regarldess of location. they're not going to recast ariel because of china

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
Will kids give a shit? No. Should adults give a shit? No.

Frankly I'd like to see them go back to the original source material where her feet constantly bleed as though walking on knives, the prince falls in love with someone else and the mermaid's sisters try and trick her into murdering the prince and his new bride whilst they sleep. Fun for all the family!

I'd watch that. Get James Wan to produce or direct it.

AgonyRon

Nov 27, 2017
I dont care who plays who. As long as the film is good. But to be honest; i think this is always up to the people who make movies. I didnt care about johansson in Ghost from the shell, i dont care about baily as Ariel.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
The Little Mermaid was based around the Caribbean, right? Makes more sense to me.
The land setting looked pretty european to me and under the sea Sebastian seemed to be the foreigner with an accent. But whatever, she's a mermaid, it doesn't matter what her skin color is or where it's set.

I hope they cast a black Eric and a bunch of white people as servants just to fuck with racists.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly not that social media isn't real but I do wonder whether the general audience in China really give that much of a shit

Like Captain Marvel got a lot of shit online but it's obvious based on box office the general didn't give a shit and even liked the movie enough to push it to 1 billion

(Not saying racism in China doesn't exist)

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What is it with racists always going with the "Tell black stories with original characters lululul" shit, that always comes up when a black actor is cast in a role where color doesn't matter?

Tired of this shit.

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get this thread, there are fans of every country unhappy with this decision. Why does make a thread only about Chinese people?

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
What is it with racists always going with the "Tell black stories with original characters lululul" shit, that always comes up when a black actor is cast in a role where color doesn't matter?

Tired of this shit.
The implied insult is "wait, you aren't good enough to do that lolololol".

See: all the shit racist flung after Jordan peele comment about not casting white people anymore.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get this thread, there are fans of every country unhappy with this decision. Why does make a thread only about Chinese people?
It's probably because besides the obvious clickbait that China is the biggest market international market which is why Hollywood sometimes or at least used to pander to them a lot.

To give the articles the benefit of the doubt it's kinda relevant how the potential audience might feel about the movie

Ganransu

Nov 21, 2017
Yea, we Chinese are quite racist.

The worst thing? It doesn't get challenged ever, so there is literally no progress. People still casually throw out dated racist stereotypes as jokes like it's nothing, reading Chinese online communities and it feels like I'm reading 4chan in Chinese... That's why even after reluctantly move back to Macau (a man gotta live), I still stay in English speaking communities online, their unified toxicity and unchallenged outdated thinking make me feel nothing but shame.
Likely because we're unfortunately the biggest market, and our likes and dislikes often do have an effect on things...

... Please don't let them have any effect...

pochi

Oct 25, 2017
Yikes but not surprised tbh.
A friend of mine said how would people feel if they made Tiana or Moana white as a counter argument.
Like whut?

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yea, we Chinese are quite racist.

The worst thing? It doesn't get challenged ever, so there is literally no progress. People still casually throw out dated racist stereotypes as jokes like it's nothing, reading Chinese online communities and it feels like I'm reading 4chan in Chinese... That's why even after reluctantly move back to Macau (a man gotta live), I still stay in English speaking communities online, their unified toxicity and unchallenged outdated thinking make me feel nothing but shame.

Likely because we're unfortunately the biggest market, and our likes and dislikes often do have an effect on things...

... Please don't let them have any effect...

Btw, i gotta say, when I was in Macau, the people I came across were fucking awesome. I loved everything about Macau. Got treated well. I enjoyed it more than Hong Kong.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
How can you be upset about Halle Bailey...she seems like a perfect fit for the role

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
China is where Hollywood most Profit comes from.
No it's not but it's an important market.
Yikes but not surprised tbh.
A friend of mine said how would people feel if they made Tiana or Moana white as a counter argument.
Like whut?
The argument makes sense in a vacuum, but not in a White dominated Hollywood where most of the Disney princesses are White and Belle, Cinderella, and Sleeping Beauty have had Live Action adaptation's with White actresses.
Is it confirmed that there are songs at all? Damn, I love the soundtrack of the animated movie.
Confirmed a while ago it's not a musical.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The land setting looked pretty european to me and under the sea Sebastian seemed to be the foreigner with an accent. But whatever, she's a mermaid, it doesn't matter what her skin color is or where it's set.

I hope they cast a black Eric and a bunch of white people as servants just to fuck with racists.

I think it would be cool to get a mixed race couple, actually.

TrafficCoen

The Fallen
Feb 22, 2019
Look, it's a live action musical made in 2019. The entire soundtrack will be influenced by the biggest genres of today, most likely Hip Hop, RnB, Rap and Dancehall. All African-American or afro-caribbean dominated genres. I'd much prefer a black woman who has roots in one or more of those genres than a white woman with classical singing training who'd inadvertently make all the hip hop songs feel comical