• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

signal

Oct 28, 2017

Variety
Director Bi Gan's dreamy pseudo-noir "Long Day's Journey Into Night" defied the odds stacked against arthouse fare at the Chinese box office to take in a whopping $37.9 million on its opening day Monday. That total beat even superhero blockbuster "Venom" in both pre-sales and first-day mainland box-office tallies.

But the film is unlikely to maintain much momentum amid a backlash from viewers who felt they were tricked by misleading promotion into watching an incomprehensible highbrow flick, with one disenchanted audience member telling tongue-clucking elitists "to go eat s—."
The movie's first-day haul – achieved via cleverly marketed special screenings scheduled to end at the stroke of midnight and the dawn of the new year – marks the strongest-ever China opening for a local arthouse film. The $37.9 million score includes more than $15 million in pre-sales. But the film earned just $1.5 million on its second day (Tuesday), according to data and ticketing platform Maoyan. By early afternoon Wednesday, "Journey" had sunk to sixth place at the box office.

User reviews from across the country wrote of moviegoers falling asleep within the first 20 minutes or walking out en masse. About 75% of all Maoyan users who left comments angrily blasted the film with ratings of 1 or 2 out of 10, for a dismal aggregate of 2.8. "The worst movie in history! Tricksters, thieves! I'm indignant – it's a total bomb, the worst trash of all trash!" wrote one user in a common refrain, as the hashtag "Can't Understand 'Long Day's Journey Into Night" trended on social media.
"Journey" debuted at Cannes in May (as did "Ash Is Purest White") and is the rising young auteur's second feature. It tells the story of a man who returns home after more than a decade away and searches to reconnect with an old love. The film also switches from 2D into 3D midway through before concluding in an ambitious 59-minute dream sequence shot in a single take.
The success of Bi's sophomore outing has been thanks to a viral marketing campaign that billed the film as a couples-friendly romance. Playing off the Chinese title, "The Last Night on Earth," opening night screenings were scheduled to begin at 9:50 p.m. so that the last minute of the film, in which stars Tang Wei and Huang Jue lock lips, would fall at the first stroke of 2019. The event was sold as the ideal date to ring in the new year, with couples encouraged to attend in order to share their own "cross-year kiss."

The campaign spread for weeks on Weibo, Wechat and other apps, with even the official state broadcaster CGTN asking: "How will you spend your last night of 2018? Watching 'Last Night on Earth' or eating a big meal?" It did especially well on popular short video app Douyin (Tik Tok in the U.S.), which in China tends to be favored by a slice of the public generally more fond of "Transformers"-type shoot-'em-up films than abstract, Tarkovskian meditations.
Midnight screenings for opening night sold out across China in pre-sales, even with tickets going for RMB300 ($44) a pair in some cities. Thanks to Douyin's reach, nearly half of those who indicated that they wanted to see the film on Maoyan hailed from third- and fourth-tier cities, with only 17% from first-tier metropolises – the opposite of the usual breakdown in China for arthouse films, according to Wechat account Yuledujiaoshou, or "Entertainment Unicorn." "From the 'literary youth' to the ordinary teens, all were duped by the magic of the 'cross-year kiss'," it said, using a popular term for artistically inclined hipsters.
Meanwhile, there has been an unusual class element in the backlash from the Douyin crowd, with "average Joe" viewers railing against the film's more sophisticated target audience.

"It's so hard to be a common person: You spend your own hard-earned money to go to the movie, and when it puts you to sleep, the 'literary youth' still turn around and scold you, saying, 'This kind of dream was never meant for you Douyin users,'" wrote one Weibo commentator. Another put it bluntly: "Those who say that the film had artistic meanings that we're just unable to understand them, please go eat s—."

The Guardian
Word of mouth proved so negative that takings fell to $1.5m on the film's second day of release. Gan, 29, defended the campaign for his second feature, explaining he hoped many audience members would feel their cinematic horizons had been expanded. "My colleagues promoting it didn't steal or rob — they just used their own abilities and knowledge to do their task," he said. "I don't think they've done anything wrong.

"I myself am from a fourth, fifth-tier city. Are you saying that people there should only watch those kinds of [blockbuster] films? I've never believed that, although I don't necessarily think that they'll like my movie."

lol

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
And I missed this shit in Philly cause I thought the 3D thing was weird and it was gonna be pretentious

Fucking looool

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
The film had a 96% second day drop and an 83% third day drop. Day 3 was 0.68% of Day 1.

It would be like The Force Awakens making $120M on Friday, $5M on Saturday, and $820k on Sunday.

And then less than 130M total.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
from the Guardian article

This was thanks to an artful marketing campaign that timed screenings to end on the stroke of midnight, and encouraged audience members to lock lips in the final scene, mirroring the protagonists. As Variety reports, a campaign suggested the film (which has no connection to the classic Eugene O'Neill play) was the perfect first-date film, with promotional messaging playing on the film's Chinese title to ask potential viewers: "Do you know what kind of sweet talk you'll use to invite someone to the last film of 2018, The Last Night On Earth?"

that "lock-lips" shit is gold

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Didn't they market Venom as a romantic movie too? I guess that was toungue-in-cheek.

Reminds me of what they definitely did here with movies like Vanilla Sky. "It's a lighthearted romance movie between Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz..... or so it seems until she drives him intentionally into a car accident and disfigures his face".

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
cE6mwP4.jpg

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shocked no one tried that here

One of my dreams is to see a movie with a loaded cast of great actors with a visionary director, an incredible script full of tension, drama and heart, beautiful cinematography, a rousing memorable score and so on; Basically a masterpiece... except the last like 10 to 15 minutes of the film takes a hard left turn and drives right off a cliff. It turn into a zombie flick as a major characters passes away only to rise again a moment later hungry for human flesh. Something that is never once hinted at in any of the marketing or leaked to the public by anyone involved that is a giant "fuck you" to the audience. Would love to just see the reaction to something like that.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
Sweeney Todd. The trailers treated it like a horror movie starring Johnny Depp and completely ignored the fact it was a musical.

But surely people have heard of the original Sweeney Todd musical. It's not as though...

Maybe these people should have done a modicum of research before watching the film
Research? You some kind of Douyin user? Go eat s-!

... oh right.

edit: I can easily see the douyin-goeatshit quote becoming a meme.

hanshen

Jun 24, 2018
Chicago, IL
One of my dreams is to see a movie with a loaded cast of great actors with a visionary director, an incredible script full of tension, drama and heart, beautiful cinematography, a rousing memorable score and so on; Basically a masterpiece... except the last like 10 to 15 minutes of the film takes a hard left turn and drives right off a cliff. It turn into a zombie flick as a major characters passes away only to rise again a moment later hungry for human flesh. Something that is never once hinted at in any of the marketing or leaked to the public by anyone involved that is a giant "fuck you" to the audience. Would love to just see the reaction to something like that.

This?

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Nah there were obvious hints at something going down in the trailers I saw. I'm talking about a totally out of place twist or change of genre that is not at all spoken about in a film that for all intents and purposes would have been something nominated for Best Picture across the board. That or a huge but very well done blockbuster that pulls similar without any warning what-so-ever. If Infinity War ended with Thanos just sitting on a toilet taking a shit for 10 minutes instead of all the epic stuff that actually went down or Schindler's List ending with Schindler and Amon Goeth have an extended farting contest.

hanshen

Jun 24, 2018
Chicago, IL
Nah there were obvious hints at something going down in the trailers I saw. I'm talking about a totally out of place twist or change of genre that is not at all spoken about in a film that for all intents and purposes would have been something nominated for Best Picture across the board. That or a huge but very well done blockbuster that pulls similar without any warning what-so-ever. If Infinity War ended with Thanos just sitting on a toilet taking a shit for 10 minutes instead of all the epic stuff that actually went down or Schindler's List ending with Schindler and Amon Goeth have an extended farting contest.

Yeah. I went to see it without seeing any trailer because I love the cast, and was genuinely surprised by the alien stuff.

But surely people have heard of the original Sweeney Todd musical. It's not as though...
As talented as Sondheim is, his musicals are definitely not in the same level of immediate recognition as those of Rodgers and Hammerstein or Andrew Lloyd Webber. A lot of folks had no idea what they were in for, and I definitely noticed that a few folks started leaving the theater once the opening scene made it clear that it was a musical. I know why Paramount advertised it the way they did, but man, did the backlash hit that film fast and hard.

Everything I'm reading about this film sounds like the kind of stuff I would got absolutely bananas for, so it makes sense that Kino Lorber picked it up for release in the spring. Since there's practically no hope of this getting a theatrical screening in Atlanta, let alone in 3D, I'll wait for the Blu-ray 3D release (they're really good about those) with much anticipation.

Min

Oct 25, 2017
I've been waiting for this to hit the States since it premiered at Cannes.

Illithid Dude

Oct 26, 2017

Arguably Something Wild by Demme, though the hard turn is more at the halfway point than the very end. Or Childhood of a Leader, which has an epilogue that really... recontextualizes... everything that came before.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Amusing to see Chinese audiences getting trolled like this.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
There were some people in line with me who totally thought There Will Be Blood was going to be a horror movie.

Excuse me

Oct 30, 2017
I remember Pan's Labyrinth getting shitted on for bad US trailer. People were expecting lot more fantasy ála Lord of the rings. Not to mention some of the brutality took many by surprise.

I remember Pan's Labyrinth getting shitted on for bad US trailer. People were expecting lot more fantasy ála Lord of the rings. Not to mention some of the brutality took many by surprise.
Honestly, I think the trailer hiding the fact that it was a Spanish-language film was more damaging than anything else. Nothing turns off general audiences faster than having to follow along with subtitles.