• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really makes you think when you realize that banning games that feature violent content, dripping blood, dead corpses and illegal gambling affects almost the entirety of the market.

PinballRJ

Oct 25, 2017
what if we just stopped sending games and movies to China for a couple years, in their extreme boredom they will overthrow the government lol

DimitriLH

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Aguadilla, Puerto Rico
Uh....wonder how FF XIV is gonna handle this. I think china got access to the game not that long ago, but now FF XIV has mahjong.

And, I guess we do see corpses .....China, why are you like this?

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017

1451768962181.png

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
FYI these regulations are for monetization, not operations. This means that you can run the game and let people play it, but you can't make money off of it.
I don't know if this applies only to MTX or also to boxed products, as I only have experience with F2P stuff in China.

Well, if a company can't sell the game, even at standard up front costs, the regulations are still problematic through and through.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
what if we just stopped sending games and movies to China for a couple years, in their extreme boredom they will overthrow the government lol

They'll just resort to piracy. A lot of games and movies started to do some decent business there and it became a market to focus on. Which is great for Chinese gamers and movie goers. When content creators respect you as a market, they start making more games/movies that are tailored to your tastes.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
-Tencent and Nintendo partner up to officially release the Switch in China.
-Ban everything that isn't featured in most 1st Party games on Switch or even indie games.
-???
-Profit

Oct 27, 2017
They'll just resort to piracy. A lot of games and movies started to do some decent business there and it became a market to focus on. Which is great for Chinese gamers and movie goers. When content creators respect you as a market, they start making more games/movies that are tailored to your tastes.

Not all markets should be served, especially if the tastes you have to cater to include ethnic cleansing, weird ass guidelines for depicting violence against nationals, and an enablement of repression and espionage.

Still waiting for a good AAA from Taiwan, tho.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
Not all markets should be served, especially if the tastes you have to cater to include ethnic cleansing, weird ass guidelines for depicting violence against nationals, and an enablement of repression and espionage.

Yeah but that's not the fault of the average person or gamer in China. It's not like they want those things.

Godsent

Jan 11, 2019

no companies (and their shareholders) will choose not to serve the largest gaming market and 2nd largest box office (soon to be the largest) in the world,

I'm also rooting for a big AAA from Taiwan, but it's unlikely to succeed without catering to the taste of gamers from mainland

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
Just makes me glad that Ubisoft walked back on their plans of changing all versions of R6S.

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
I'm surprised they didn't ban Winnie the Pooh as well. That will be next.

EDIT: NEVERMIND THEY FUCKING DID LOL

The Chinese regime has always been pretty backward, but it seems like they've even found a way to regress.

ChristianH94

Apr 14, 2019
I'm not the biggest expert in this, but from what I've seen there's been some really weird content regulation since Xi Jinping rose to power. These gaming regulations seem like nothing compared to the TV and internet content regulations they already hammer down.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I'm not the biggest expert in this, but from what I've seen there's been some really weird content regulation since Xi Jinping rose to power. These gaming regulations seem like nothing compared to the TV and internet content regulations they already hammer down.
He's got rid of the term limits China had since Mao iirc so they aren't even pretending he's a dictator for life now. He also purged the Chinese business and the Communist party upon taking power.

This is the least concerning thing I've read about him tbh even if it is batshit.

Last edited:

Croix

Oct 25, 2017
What should we be learning, that we should not expect an overthrow or chanhe of stupid systems like this? Serious question.
Most people don't care about learning about China, they just like to keep spreading misinformation and stereotypes like saying Winnie the the Pooh is banned and the other usual bullcrap you hear about the country. And changes can happen for a variety of reasons in the future, beginning with because the CCP isn't a monolithic entity.

Last edited:

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
It's a shame, I thought Mahjong Poker Corpse 1 had a lot of potential

(But seriously though, can this be a real game)
God damn it, I can't enjoy a game unless it's full of blood-drenched gamblers hatching imperial schemes.

OK but could you actually Kickstart this for real though?
Dammit, I want this now.
Shrug I'd play it

Put it up on Kickstarter

Gimme a year to learn an engine and I'll see what I can cobble together. :P

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
tencent is extremely an exception wrt to its position vs the government
Wrong, unless you can provide evidence. Tencent has to comply with regulation just like any other Chinese company. In fact, they're more heavily regulated than other companies because they control several outlets that can facilitate dissent. The freeze to monetization licenses has hit Tencent particularly hard, as their major titles are still on a freeze despite competitors still receiving licenses.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
The comments in this thread are so misinformed...... jeez.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
Wrong. Tencent is one of the publishers most affected by this.

I wonder if China will experience some kind of Capitalist uprising over the next few decades. I'm talking about the emerging Capitalist class getting tired of the government's shit and using their newfound power to push for reform. Tencent probably wishes they had to the freedom to develop and release whatever they wanted in China without stepping on eggshells. Right now the Chinese government and the Chinese economy are two sides of the same coin, but if economic downturn starts to happen then things could get interesting.

Hace

Sep 21, 2018
Wrong, unless you can provide evidence. Tencent has to comply with regulation just like any other Chinese company. In fact, they're more heavily regulated than other companies because they control several outlets that can facilitate dissent. The freeze to monetization licenses has hit Tencent particularly hard, as their major titles are still on a freeze despite competitors still receiving licenses.
that's what i mean, tencent and the gov't will always be at each other's throats.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
I wonder if China will experience some kind of Capitalist uprising over the next few decades. I'm talking about the emerging Capitalist class getting tired of the government's shit and using their newfound power to push for reform. Tencent probably wishes they had to the freedom to develop and release whatever they wanted in China without stepping on eggshells. Right now the Chinese government and the Chinese economy are two sides of the same coin, but if economic downturn starts to happen then things could get interesting.
That makes sense, but I think we're rapidly reaching the age where government control and power might trump everything else. I think the government itself is savvy to this, hence the stories regarding the mandates for workers to study party doctrine. It's a scary thing.

Croix

Oct 25, 2017
Getting tired of the government's shit? The Party is the one who fomented and continues to foment capitalism. If anything, social unease like the growing social inequalities and corruption that began with the reform era is what has bothered a lot people.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Never thought of Mahjong as a gambling game. I just saw it as a really fucking hard puzzle game.