• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
Rip dynasty warriors.

I was confused until I remembered it said political intrigue

That's some unfortuante timing for Koei. I think they'd been targeting China with the most recent game (as DW9 released with a Chinese dub, and seemingly had plenty of advertising in China).

Well there goes my imminent release of Mahjong Poker Corpse 2: Blood Empire

It's a shame, I thought Mahjong Poker Corpse 1 had a lot of potential

(But seriously though, can this be a real game)

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Why is it so difficult for them to have age regulation on games?

They don't ban these things in their movies do they?

Kasumin

Nov 19, 2017
It actually sucks for a lot of people.

Certain games / genres sell pretty well in China. So developers might have to start taking China's policies into consideration from the get-go and thus altering their creative vision for everyone to meet those standards. Especially since you can't just put a green blood filter.

Yup. This is the kind of censorship I actually find worrying.

As China's influence grows, it will try to make the rest of the world follow its restrictions on entertainment.

Not just entertainment. Authoritarian governments despise art. It's difficult to control. They're against one of the most wonderful things about being human: our capacity for imagination.

(I'm referring to the government, not the people of China)

Yas

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Arctic Circle, Finland
I've always wondered why the Yakuza games are impossible to find on Taobao. Must be because they take the gangster / gambling / underground elements really seriously.

You can but pretty much many other game you want on Taobao, but Yakuza has always been strangely absent.
Well apparently they are somewhat banned. I made a mistake of streaming Yakuza 0 to douyu 3-4 months ago, the mods nuked my stream instantly and issued me warnings for streaming "banned game".

Montresor

Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: Inflammatory Generalizations
China is a piece of shit country through and through. For this and so much more. I REALLY dislike the Chinese government.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
FYI these regulations are for monetization, not operations. This means that you can run the game and let people play it, but you can't make money off of it.
I don't know if this applies only to MTX or also to boxed products, as I only have experience with F2P stuff in China.

Last edited:

//ARCANUM

Oct 25, 2017
So... umm... are mario games gonna have trouble? Would they consider Dry Bones a corpse??

tumblr_inline_p2kid8RGHI1uckkgj_540.gif

Hace

Sep 21, 2018
As always these will apply to western probably most japanese games, but almost never to titles actually developed in china

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
So I'm assuming Dota is not going to get rid of the blood. Does this mean we get Skeleton King back if they have to split Dota into two clients?

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
i recall they issued a ban on skeletons? this is was further back
There was never a ban on skeletons. This was a rumor that was started by Blizzard adapting WoW and trying to be as safe as possible, so they removed skeletons (which are seen as "gore" in China). Since then, other developers have followed suit just to be safe. There's no actual regulations around skeletons specifically, and there are both Chinese and Western games with skeletons operating in China.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
So, they effectively banned 95% of games on the market? Well, I guess Chinese gamers still have HOGs to play, those without corpses at least.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting. Sega has been trying to pander to Chinese audiences more with recent Yakuza games. With this news, I wonder if they'll even bother? Yakuza 5's due for a remaster in Asia in June, that has Mahjong in it along with Poker...

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
I better not see any hint of this potentially affecting anything distributed outside of China. There's no reason why anyone should have to put up with China's dystopian government, especially not when they don't live there.

erd

Self-Requested Temporary Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So does that mean that Tencent Mahjong game I have been playing on my iPad will soon be no more? šŸ˜•
If I'm reading it right, it only applies to new titles that haven't obtained a license yet:
While the new rule is set to wipe out hundreds of small developers focused on the genre, it may only have a limited impact on the entrenched players as the restriction applies only to new applicants.

"It won't affect us much because we are early to the market and have accumulated a big collection of licenses," a marketing manager at one of China's biggest online poker and mahjong games publishers told TechCrunch.