• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 431

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Scientists have unveiled a 500 megapixel cloud camera system in China that they say is capable of capturing the facial details of each individual in a crowd of tens of thousands of people, raising fears facial recognition monitoring could soon reach a new level.

The camera, which was revealed at China's International Industry Fair last week, was designed by Fudan University and Changchun Institute of Optics, Fine Mechanics and Physics of the Chinese Academy of Sciences.

The camera's resolution is five times more detailed than the human eye, and it is also equipped with artificial intelligence (AI), facial recognition, real-time monitoring and cloud computing technology, designers say.

All this means it can detect and identify human faces or other objects and instantly find specific targets even in a crowded stadium, Xiaoyang Zeng, one of the scientists who worked on the new technology, explained to reporters at the exhibition display.

He said this device — dubbed the "super camera" by local media — can capture both still images and record video.

More here: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-09-26/chinas-new-500-megapixel-super-camera/11539176

Big brother is watching, bro

Advc

Nov 3, 2017
God damn this totally reminds me of Watch_Dogs... Super creepy that cameras are able to detect that kind of info about you with just a glance. But useful when searching for robbers hopefully that works

Royce

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
Imagine if this was used for proper purposes. Like mentioned earlier, for spotting actual dangerous criminals from the streets. Or identifying missing children.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
So it's the Hydra helicarrier targeting system from Captain America Winter Soldier. But real.

Woof.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Cameras and image recognition software have both improved continuously for years, so it was only a matter of time before something like this happened.

Unfortunately it also means that this technology will almost certainly be used for all the wrong reasons.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
giphy.gif

Jadax

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
GG China will guaranteed become the first dystopian society.

First the social credit system, their internet control, their advancements in AI (for negative purposes), and now this.

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
Wonder how and why Chinese tech/phone companies have gotten pretty good at stuff like this.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
Hmm, I keep hearing about cell phones being used to send subsonic audio to track things in a household and in public, I wonder when we'll learn cell phone cameras are being used to capture pictures at events/in public and feed those images up for crowd analysis.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Crazy stuff. China does like controlling their people and people are the only things who could stop the state so it's all preemptive stuff from the government to quell disorder and uprisings.

Feb 10, 2018
Great technology, but like most technology it's not the tech that is bad its the person or people who use it.
It will be good for catching fugitives, with this tech Harrison Ford would not of stood a chance.

Dant21

Apr 24, 2018
Great technology, but like most technology it's not the tech that is bad its the person or people who use it.
It will be good for catching fugitives, with this tech Harrison Ford would not of stood a chance.
Meh, technology like this rarely makes people genuinely safer than they were. Crime will just change to exploit the cameras. Don't be surprised if decades from now it comes out that members of the CPC were actively involved in using the facial recognition to drive human trafficking on a massive scale.

Buddy1103

Jan 8, 2019
im not sure how it can be done but someone needs to come up with a device that can blur your face from these types of cameras. something like that is going to be critical in the coming years. or we all resort to wearing fake mustaches. personally i like the moustaches.

Feb 10, 2018
Meh, technology like this rarely makes people genuinely safer than they were. Crime will just change to exploit the cameras. Don't be surprised if decades from now it comes out that members of the CPC were actively involved in using the facial recognition to drive human trafficking on a massive scale.

It will make life substantialy harder for criminals if these camera will recognise them 24/7.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
im not sure how it can be done but someone needs to come up with a device that can blur your face from these types of cameras. something like that is going to be critical in the coming years. or we all resort to wearing fake mustaches. personally i like the moustaches.
You just shake your head really fast, makes it blurry.

jk

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
God damn this totally reminds me of Watch_Dogs... Super creepy that cameras are able to detect that kind of info about you with just a glance. But useful when searching for robbers hopefully that works

Tracking mere robbers isn't worthy the loss of privacy and the ways in which this technology will be abused.

technology is going to fuck with society real good in the future

I'm glad I'll be dead before we see the worst of it.

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
The only thing this does is make future cyber attacks on China that much more effective. Essentially using their own surveillance equipment against them.

Advc

Nov 3, 2017
Tracking mere robbers isn't worthy the loss of privacy and the ways in which this technology will be abused.

I'm glad I'll be dead before we see the worst of it.
That's true. It brings one solution but it creates a ton of problems. Not worthy really. Too bad the Chinese government doesn't give a damn and is on their way to implement this.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
combine it one day havind mind reading tech and we can take down people before they even try to commit a crime

Tracygill

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The Left

dubc

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
The U.S. has a similar system that's capable of capturing 1.8 gigapixels with 368 5 megapixel cameras. They've been working on it since at least 2006. Does this mean that the Chinese have caught up with the American surveillance system yet? Have they managed to put them on drones yet?

Indeed. Inspired by the movie Enemy of the State too.