• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

requiem

Dec 3, 2017
I am close friends with someone who first-hand experienced ethnic cleansing in Bosnia, and even the more tame stories leave me completely rattled. Fuck China for doing this.

Hanbei

Nov 11, 2017
Chinese government being islamophobic isn't a new thing, sadly. Uighurs being arrested and sent to chinese Gulag, and overall persecution of the muslim community has been a thing for years. Indeed, fuck China.

As a brown man would I be safe to travel China? Srs
As a brown man myself, I strongly suggest you don't.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
Ethnic cleansing is occuring, but no one can do anything...

So depressing. I honestly don't even know what can be done here. No one will speak for them, or do anything for them.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
As a brown man who lives there for half of the year for the past 5 years. Yeah EXTREMELY safe . Nobody is gonna mess with you.

If you wanna go there as a tourist and support the CCP by spending money should be the actual concern

Ignis

Oct 27, 2017
As a brown man who lives there for half of the year for the past 5 years. Yeah EXTREMELY safe . Nobody is gonna mess with you.

If you wanna go there as a tourist and support the CCP by spending money should be the actual concern

Okay well that's good to know. Anywhere I should avoid? Anything I should avoid doing?

I felt extremely safe in Japan earlier this year and I'm a photographer so I felt very safe at night walking around empty streets with my camera etc. Never had any trouble anywhere, just want to know what I should expect to be different.

Dark_EMT

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Ethnic cleansing is occuring, but no one can do anything...

So depressing. I honestly don't even know what can be done here. No one will speak for them, or do anything for them.

Only way would be to bring China down to its knees along with its repulsive government. It would take all the super powers to do it though along with WW3.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Okay well that's good to know. Anywhere I should avoid? Anything I should avoid doing?

I felt extremely safe in Japan earlier this year and I'm a photographer so I felt very safe at night walking around empty streets with my camera etc. Never had any trouble anywhere, just want to know what I should expect to be different.
The only place you shouldn't really go to are in Xinjiang. You'll still be safe there and definitely won't have to worry about any crimes happening to you. (Edit before I get another confused reply: Nobody gonna try to rob a tourist in a surveillance state, especially one as sensitive as Xinjiang ) But I can't recommend going to somewhere were the locals are living in a actual police state for a vacation. Even though nobody is gonna bother you. Most of the bad things that people think about China are actually true in Xinjiang .

China isn't as safe as Japan (I'm pretty sure the only safer place in Asia is Singapore ) but you can do everything you do in any other country in China.
I go out at night and to clubs in China and have never felt unsafe. The most dangerous thing you'll have to worry about are pickpockets. I feel safer going out at night in Shenzhen than I do in the middle of the day in San Fran. Just have the same common sense that youd need anywhere outside of Japan and don't go down some rural backroad in the middle of the night alone and you'll be good.

If you go to big first tier cities (such as Shenzhen Shanghai, Beijing, Guangzhou) you won't have any problems finding people who are confident in English. In small cities there is still an abundance of English signs ,even if there aren't many English speakers so you won't get lost (But still learn some basic stuff and how to count)

I rotate between living in China and Singapore and have yet to feel unsafe.

Edit 2: Id still say go to Taiwan or Singapore instead. China is a cool country that is worth seeing, but im pretty sure you guys don't wanna give tourism money to the CCP if you don't have to.

Last edited:

Ignis

Oct 27, 2017
The only place you shouldn't really go to are in Xinjiang. You'll still be safe there and definitely won't have to worry about any crimes happening to you. But I can't recommend going to somewhere we're the locals are living in a actual police state for a vacation. Even though nobody is gonna bother you. Most of the bad things that people think about China are actually true in Xinjiang .

China isn't as safe as Japan (I'm pretty sure the only safer place in Asia is Singapore ) but you can do everything you do in any other country in China.
I go out at night and to clubs in China and have never felt unsafe. The most dangerous thing you'll have to worry about are pickpockets. I feel safer going out at night in Shenzhen than I do in the middle of the day in San Fran. Just have the same common sense that youd need anywhere outside of Japan and don't go down some rural backroad in the middle of the night alone and you'll be good.

If you go to big first tier cities (such as Shenzhen Shanghai, Beijing, Guangzhou) you won't have any problems finding people who are confident in English. In small cities there is still an abundance of English signs ,even if there aren't many English speakers so you won't get lost (But still learn some basic stuff and how to count)

I rotate between living in China and Singapore and have yet to feel unsafe.

Ace, this is great info man. Thank you.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Just don't make any comments about Winnie the Poo

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
My understanding is that the Government's primary motivation is the fear that muslims would be more loyal to their religion than the Communist Party, not so much islamophobia.

It is exactly Islamophobia. They fear the faith. Hell they fear everything. The leadership is extremely insecure and weak.

I mean it's still a beautiful country and I'd like to go whilst I can lol.

With such extreme horrors like camps and organ harvesting going on there I don't agree with this. Maybe if you are the type to ignore all that then maybe you could see beauty I guess.

Paxton25

May 9, 2018
How anyone can say "you don't have t worry about any crime happening to you" is beyond me 🤦‍♀️

Paradax

Jun 1, 2018
It is exactly Islamophobia. They fear the faith. Hell they fear everything. The leadership is extremely insecure and weak

You're absolutely right. What I wanted to say is that the government's treatment of Muslims may not necessarily extend to (obedient) foreigners, but I worded it very, very poorly.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
My understanding is that the Government's primary motivation is the fear that muslims would be more loyal to their religion than the Communist Party, not so much islamophobia.
Its because the Uighur have more in common with the people with the people the nearby former soviet counties (like Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan) and have a history of wanting their own country like that. This has been going on since after WW2, but the the separatist movements died down until the collapse of the Soviet Union (when Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan became free) then the separatist movements gained traction again . So the CCP got scared and started doing this stuff.

Its not as simple as "muslim bad". This is the same reason that Tibet ended up in its current situation. The Chinese govt (not just the CCP but throughout history) has always been terrified of border regions finding reasons to want to separate from the country. The Hui are Muslim and tried to separate from China like 140 years ago and the same type of thing happened to them. But they aren't being oppressed or anything today because they don't have any separatist movements anymore.

Every time throughout China's history where things like this happen it'll be on a border region with a history of separatist movements. If there's no support for separation then this kinda of thing won't happen. This has been a constant throughout China's history. China just isn't meant to be as big as it is.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
How anyone can say "you don't have t worry about any crime happening to you" is beyond me 🤦‍♀️
Because no Uighur living under constant surveillance in a police state is gonna commit a crime towards a tourist . Idk how that is confusing to you. Maybe if you haven't seen the extent of the surveillance and everything there. You couldn't even fathom the amount of surveillance there without seeing it in person.

Nobody is thinking: "Yeah let me throw my families lives away so I can try to rob this tourist ". There's a 99% chance that they'd fail and 100% chance that they'd get caught. You'd not even be allowed anywhere where something could actually happen. The "tourism" in Xinjiang is basically on rails.

Last edited:

Zip

Oct 28, 2017
I mean it's still a beautiful country and I'd like to go whilst I can lol.

Your selfish interest in advice for visiting China to take pretty pictures is very badly placed in a thread about the persecution of a minority group in the country.

Have some damn self-awareness. You just look like a twat right now.

Ignis

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 day): thread derailment
Your selfish interest in advice for visiting China to take pretty pictures is very badly placed in a thread about the persecution of a minority group in the country.

Have some damn self-awareness. You just look like a twat right now.

I'm not condoning what's happening, I can still think the country is geographically beautiful and want to visit it for those reasons.

Mar 29, 2018
As a brown man myself, I strongly suggest you don't.
Skin colour has nothing to do with it in China - they won't touch you for that. What has to do with it is culture.

If you're Muslim, you'd be from a different muslim context from the Ughurs etc, so you'd probably be fine.

If you make any actions that contradict the government, physically or verbally or by phone/internet - e.g. taking photos of things you shouldn't, then you are fucked.

Zip

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not condoning what's happening, I can still think the country is geographically beautiful and want to visit it for those reasons.

So ask in a better place and time. All you're doing here is distracting from a serious topic.

"Yes...yes...terrible plight...now how can I visit?! Any tips??? I want to take pictures...is it safe for ME?"

Absolutely self-interested.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The only place you shouldn't really go to are in Xinjiang. You'll still be safe there and definitely won't have to worry about any crimes happening to you. (Edit before I get another confused reply: Nobody gonna try to rob a tourist in a surveillance state, especially one as sensitive as Xinjiang ) But I can't recommend going to somewhere were the locals are living in a actual police state for a vacation. Even though nobody is gonna bother you. Most of the bad things that people think about China are actually true in Xinjiang .
I understand people who wouldn't want to visit it, but Xinjiang is very safe for tourists.
And at least anecdotally, the (very low) level of petty crime you might have to deal with in China (talking about fake money from cabs and basic tourist scams) is about the same there as in the rest of the country (which again, something that shouldn't really be a concern to anyone who has even a bit of sense).

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This needs to be placed more prominently in the news cycle so people will finally grasp the level of fuckery that is going on in China.

Still no hope it would change anything though.