• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
This is a super amazing breakthrough!

Isn't this a step to eliminating all waste from earth? I recall "using the power of the sun on earth to burn trash without emissions". This was YEEEEARS ago, and I might be misremembering.

Fusion in general is essentially a holy grail in terms of providing virtually unlimited clean energy more or less for free. Not sure about it burning trash but it would eliminate waste involved with other forms of energy generation.

That's cold fusion btw, meaning fusion that doesn't take enormous amounts of power to generate ridiculously strong magnetic fields and heat.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
" Why are they making it so much hotter than the suns core? Seems like a waste and just complicates it. "

Your question is not stupid. But the bolded part is so smug, unnecessary and condescending.
I don't even know why we are arguing. I asked a stupid question and now I know why. Win win.

NunezL

Jun 17, 2020
I don't even know why we are arguing. I asked a stupid question and now I know why. Win win.
I'm not arguing, just criticizing on the fact that you're the type of persons that actually thinks himself more intelligent than hundreds of scientists that dedicated their carreer to a problem.

Tacitus

Oct 25, 2017
This is a super amazing breakthrough!

Isn't this a step to eliminating all waste from earth? I recall "using the power of the sun on earth to burn trash without emissions". This was YEEEEARS ago, and I might be misremembering.
Fusion reactors have been turned "on" before. The trick is keeping them on and keeping them energy positive (getting more energy out from the fuel than you put in).
The main thing to watch for in fusion energy is the ITER project.

May 19, 2020
something 10x hotter than the sun residing on earth breaks my brain
agreed

c1b8d4e78f06eb9cd69899c55ea3b796.jpg

SamuelBeckwit

Oct 27, 2017
If people start asking 'What are the possibilities?!' Instead of 'what can go wrong?' We wouldn't be living in the age where people believe the world is flat and the moon landing was fake and birds are fake.
In fairness it's not unreasonable to say, "oh great, how can this fuck up?" when the news comes from the same folks who brought us The Four Pests campaign where they killed all of their birds and experienced plagues of insects as a result.

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
Fusion in general is essentially a holy grail in terms of providing virtually unlimited clean energy more or less for free. Not sure about it burning trash but it would eliminate waste involved with other forms of energy generation.

That's cold fusion btw, meaning fusion that doesn't take enormous amounts of power to generate ridiculously strong magnetic fields and heat.
No, I know that. But I recall someone saying that this could help burning trash without emissions, hence the question.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
something 10x hotter than the sun residing on earth breaks my brain
Tiny shrimp creates temperatures hot as the Sun
www.zdnet.com

Tiny shrimp creates temperatures hot as the Sun

Janine Benyus, founder of the biomimicry institute, explains how a pistol shrimp stuns its prey -- in a most surprising manner.
Here she is outlining how a pistol shrimp stuns its prey by snapping its claw, which creates a tiny bubble filled with nothing, which of course rapidly cavitates in a process that briefly creates temperatures as hot as the surface of the sun.

Or in other words, nature has many tricks engineers and businesses might some day transform into an endless array of technologies .

supercommodore

Prophet of Truth
Apr 13, 2020
UK
You're combining hydrogen into helium. There is no waste. The waste problem is also hyperbolized for fission reactors, btw but that's another subject.

There is activated waste produced in a fusion reactor, mostly consisting of activated steel. The combination of the deuterium and tritium produces helium yes, but it also produces a fast neutron which has 4/5 of the energy. These neutrons impact the machine structure and create activated material.

There will be quite a large volume of waste, but it will be low and intermediate level waste.

It will need to be stored for approx 100 years (depending on a number of factors). This is why fusion reactors use low-activation steels for in-vessel components.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So after fusion energy gets established would anti matters come next? They could use the same magnetic technology once perfected to control the anti matter but you wouldn't need the huge temperatures to fuse anti matter and matter. The only problem is how the fuck do we make it.

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
I just find it ridiculous how someone posting on a video game forum has the nerves to thinks himself above the work of literally generations of scientist from all corners of the world, tackling one of the most challenging problem of all time. Like, you know how many headaches reaching those temperatures is causing? ANd your first instinct is to go with "why are they so dumb? Just lower the temperature, duh!".
Next time you think you managed to solve a world changing problem sitting in your chair in front of your computer and won yourself a nobel prize with a single forum post, just stop and think again.

What is truly ridiculous is your over reaction.

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
Fusion reactors have been turned "on" before. The trick is keeping them on and keeping them energy positive (getting more energy out from the fuel than you put in).
The main thing to watch for in fusion energy is the ITER project.
Yeah, I'm aware of that. What I meant with"amazing breakthrough" is that China did it. The more successful reactors, the better.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is this what it's for, replacing current power generation methods? It seems like it's more for theoretical use, no?
These are just to test the theory. But once they figure it out and can make one that works I don't see why the whole world would just switch to this given enough time.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Is this what it's for, replacing current power generation methods? It seems like it's more for theoretical use, no?
The dream is replacing all current power generation methods by this. It is basically a man-made version of the highest energy producer in the universe.

So is this like, the perfect form of energy production? Minimal waste, no chance of a fallout explosion?
And extremely efficient.

supercommodore

Prophet of Truth
Apr 13, 2020
UK

Yes it is seen as a source of power generation in the future. You most likely won't see a commercial prototype reactor before 2050 though.

The European prototype reactor is aiming to produce ~500 MW of net electrical power. Construction on that is estimated at early 2040s.

Basically fusion is a long term option for zero carbon power generation, but isn't a short term fix for climate change.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So is this like, the perfect form of energy production? Minimal waste, no chance of a fallout explosion?
Anti matter/matter fusion is even better.
perfection would be antimatter/matter fusion. They literally just need to touch and boom. Unfortunately antimatter is hard to come by or make.

colorblindmode

Chicken Chaser
Nov 26, 2019
South Carolina
The dream is replacing all current power generation methods by this. It is basically a man-made version of the highest energy producer in the universe.

And extremely efficient.

I guess what I'm getting at is, why aren't more countries just pouring tons of resources into this energy? Seems like it's one of the best methods of energy production. Is it just unreliable, as far as energy output goes?

Soundchaser

Oct 25, 2017
In fairness it's not unreasonable to say, "oh great, how can this fuck up?" when the news comes from the same folks who brought us The Four Pests campaign where they killed all of their birds and experienced plagues of insects as a result.
Both the US and the EU have their own tokamak projects, I don't understand why you are bringing up The Four Pests here.

Doggg

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Nov 17, 2017
Not that I know the first thing about nuclear fusion reactors
cd842eb55e6c6d460517f0ebf79564e5f1ab57a80e47c1a77f50be8922424bc2_1.jpg

supercommodore

Prophet of Truth
Apr 13, 2020
UK
I guess what I'm getting at is, why aren't more countries just pouring tons of resources into this energy? Seems like it's one of the best methods of energy production. Is it just unreliable, as far as energy output goes?

There is a fair amount of money going in as far as government scientific projects go. ITER will cost somewhere between €20-30 billion and the EU-DEMO machine after will likely cost up to double that.

It's a slow moving field of science because the nature of the problem. There are many areas of a reactor that still need physics and engineering solutions.

Tacitus

Oct 25, 2017
We haven't gotten it to work for energy production yet. Shit's hard. Only the richest countries have their own reactors, the international effort is the ITER project
www.iter.org

ITER - the way to new energy

ITER is the world’s largest fusion experiment. Thirty-five nations are collaborating to build and operate the ITER Tokamak, the most complex machine ever designed, to prove that fusion is a viable source of large-scale, safe, and environmentally friendly energy for the planet.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
Did it take less power to turn it on than it generates? Since that is the big challenGe with fusion?

colorblindmode

Chicken Chaser
Nov 26, 2019
South Carolina
There is a fair amount of money going in as far as government scientific projects go. ITER will cost somewhere between €20-30 billion and the EU-DEMO machine after will likely cost up to double that.

It's a slow moving field of science because the nature of the problem. There are many areas of a reactor that still need physics and engineering solutions.
We haven't gotten it to work for energy production yet. Shit's hard. Only the richest countries have their own project, the international effort is the ITER project
www.iter.org

ITER - the way to new energy

ITER is the world’s largest fusion experiment. Thirty-five nations are collaborating to build and operate the ITER Tokamak, the most complex machine ever designed, to prove that fusion is a viable source of large-scale, safe, and environmentally friendly energy for the planet.

Thanks for explaining it! I'm woefully undereducated about forms of nuclear energy/what countries are doing to solve the energy crisis.

SamuelBeckwit

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (3 Months): Xenophobia, Dismissive Commentary, and Hostility Over Multiple Posts
Both the US and the EU have their own tokamak projects, I don't understand why you are bringing up The Four Pests here.
Yes, they do, but when the the people making it have a less than sterling reputation for giving a damn about consequences it's not unreasonable for people to buzz a headline and say "oh no, what could go wrong" rather than "wow this is a landmark advance and what sort of sci-fi future land will we find ourselves tomorrow?"

The Four Pests was just a top of my head example of China enacting an idea with great indifference to the consequences.

The original comment I replied to was pulling some handwringing bullshit about how if people asked about the possibilities rather than the consequences the world would be better or some nonsense.

Onix555

Apr 23, 2019
UK
Terrifying how uninformed some are in the thread.

Anyway, this is just a research reactor. One of many that China and others have operated for decades.
Don't get why new reporters make such clickbaity headlines or make it seem like it's a new thing in China.
EAST in particular is a pretty good that's been producing good results for years.

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
Why are they making it so much hotter than the suns core? Seems like a waste and just complicates it.
Well, by volume (and mass) the sun actually produces very little energy.

You look at the total energy production and think "it's like a million nuclear bombs going off every second" but it's nothing like a nuclear explosion at all. It's just really really really big.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun#Core said:
Theoretical models of the Sun's interior indicate a maximum power density, or energy production, of approximately 276.5 watts per cubic metre at the center of the core, which is about the same power density as in body of a reptile or inside a compost pile.
If you could isolate a cubic meter of the sun's core (which would mass 150 metric tons), it would barely be able to power a single PC

We need much higher power density for fusion to actually be useful to us

Onix555

Apr 23, 2019
UK
So after fusion energy gets established would anti matters come next? They could use the same magnetic technology once perfected to control the anti matter but you wouldn't need the huge temperatures to fuse anti matter and matter. The only problem is how the fuck do we make it.
We can already produce Anti Matter at LHC. It won't be an energy producer though since you will always need more energy put in to make it then you get out.
Perhaps in the far future it could be fuel for spacecraft though.

Tacitus

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for explaining it! I'm woefully undereducated about forms of nuclear energy/what countries are doing to solve the energy crisis.
ITER is in the final steps of its construction, so the next years are going to be very interesting on that front. If all goes well, we'll have sustained fusion this decade and can start drawing up the plans for a prototype commercial reactor.

nekomix

Oct 30, 2017
Did it take less power to turn it on than it generates? Since that is the big challenGe with fusion?

That's the trillion dollar question. In order to do this, one needs to sustain the reaction for several time and I think the current record is 10 minutes. But to do that we need bigger reactors, better magnets and better reactor designs and it takes a lot of brain juice and money. It has for the last 70 years.

Onix555

Apr 23, 2019
UK
Yes, they do, but when the the people making it have a less than sterling reputation for giving a damn about consequences it's not unreasonable for people to buzz a headline and say "oh no, what could go wrong" rather than "wow this is a landmark advance and what sort of sci-fi future land will we find ourselves tomorrow?"

The Four Pests was just a top of my head example of China enacting an idea with great indifference to the consequences.

The original comment I replied to was pulling some handwringing bullshit about how if people asked about the possibilities rather than the consequences the world would be better or some nonsense.
Bruh, again this is the latest in many Tokamaks they've already operated for decades. As well on top of the global research that has been done by others for even longer.

You're getting a bit too close to the racial concern trolling line.

supercommodore

Prophet of Truth
Apr 13, 2020
UK

No, there aren't any fusion reactors with a Q>1 as we call it. Q is power out over power in.

ITER is aiming to be Q ~ 10. The closest so far is the European JET reactor in the U.K. which reached Q ~ 0.7.

Pretty sure HL-2M is not a tritium machine so is likely running with deuterium only. Which means it isn't producing much power. It's an experimental machine looking at plasma physics and engineering problems.

SamuelBeckwit

Oct 27, 2017
Bruh, again this is the latest in many Tokamaks they've already operated for decades. As well on top of the global research that has been done by others for even longer.

That's fine. I'm done here because context of original comment replied to doesn't matter. We're done here and all replies are now on the ignore list. Take care.

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The people he is referring are dead and buried but some cannot go past the skin color or the slantness of one eye.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I just find it ridiculous how someone posting on a video game forum has the nerves to thinks himself above the work of literally generations of scientist from all corners of the world, tackling one of the most challenging problem of all time. Like, you know how many headaches reaching those temperatures is causing? ANd your first instinct is to go with "why are they so dumb? Just lower the temperature, duh!".
Next time you think you managed to solve a world changing problem sitting in your chair in front of your computer and won yourself a nobel prize with a single forum post, just stop and think again.
Jfc they were just asking a question out of curiosity as it didn't make sense for them.

Your weird escalation is far more embarrassing.

siteseer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
two pages of memes and not one image of an actual device. shame. they call this wild looking thing a stellarator (wendelstein 7-x), i guess it is similar to a tokamak in that it confines plasma, but what do i know.
eikBLMX.jpg