• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
BEIJING — A Chinese national working at Britain's Hong Kong consulate has been detained in China's border city of Shenzhen for violating the law, the Chinese foreign ministry said on Wednesday, likely worsening already strained ties between Beijing and London.
Britain has said it is "extremely concerned" by reports that the staff member at the consulate in its former colony had been detained.
Simon Cheng did not return to work on Aug. 9 after visiting the neighbouring mainland city of Shenzhen the previous day, Hong Kong news website HK01 reported, citing an interview with his girlfriend and family.
Cheng's family confirmed his disappearance in a Facebook post on Tuesday night, saying he travelled from Hong Kong to Shenzhen on the morning of Aug. 8 for a business trip.

Speaking at a daily news briefing in Beijing, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Geng Shuang said Cheng had been detained for 15 days by Shenzhen police for violating public security management regulations, though he gave no details.
Cheng is a Chinese citizen and so the matter is entirely a Chinese internal affair, Geng said.
"As for Britain's comments, we've made stern representations to Britain for the series of comments and actions they've made on Hong Kong," he added.
"We request they stop making these irresponsible statements, stop meddling in Hong Kong's affairs and stop interfering in China's internal affairs."
Shenzhen police declined immediate comment.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
I guess they are going to throw all kinds of accusations at him and 'prove' the "black hand" of foreign influence. A pretty good demonstration of what the youth oppose the extradition law though.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Simon Cheng did not return to work on Aug. 9 after visiting the neighbouring mainland city of Shenzhen the previous day, Hong Kong news website HK01 reported, citing an interview with his girlfriend and family.

No wonder they don't want that extradition law

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
I really hope the next US President flexes so hard on China. I want to see that fascist state cower beneath their bullshit.

Jie Li

Alt account
Banned
Dec 21, 2018
Since UK has not said anything, he probably got grab because he had protester gears/material on him.

Tugatrix

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
And what about diplomatic immunity? does the employee doesn't have it?

This is like the China advising the international community not to mingle on the situation

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
The rest of the world stands up to do something, then remembers their profits and sits back down.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Assholes forced Swedish citizen Gui Minhai who they have detained to "confess" "crimes" on video for protesting against the Chinese government by publishing books.

Gui Minhai - Wikipedia

Fuck China.

Ah... I sometimes think that China copied a lot of Singapore's playbook (my country). We used to arrest and charge people who are suspected of being "threats to national security" without trial and one of the things they had to do was to do a televised confession. The last time we had that happened was in the 80s. Their censorship laws also remind me of how we used to do things, how we only started having movie and TV ratings in the 90s and essentially having films being censored before they could be shown or sold here. Just that everything is done in China on a larger scale and with 2019 technology.

Jie Li

Alt account
Banned
Dec 21, 2018
Even if he did protest why would he have any gear on him in Shen zhen?

People are stupid?

Or the Chinese government had tabs on every innocent but valuable person to them in Hong Kong and as soon as the first one came close enough they grabbed them.

Do me a favorite and read some HK forums. People going to SZ are required to unlock their phones. If they are pro protest (yellow ribbon) they get detained. If you are blue ribbon nothing will happen to you.

Probably will be released in a few days, latest would be after oct 1. Because Beijing is only preparing 70 anniversary right now.

The guy himself is a nobody, but he has a special status of being a western country embassy employee.

Again, pay attention to what the UK government say, that's the only statement that matters.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
People are stupid?

Do me a favorite and read some HK forums. People going to SZ are required to unlock their phones. If they are pro protest (yellow ribbon) they get detained. If you are blue ribbon nothing will happen to you.

Probably will be released in a few days, latest would be after oct 1. Because Beijing is only preparing 70 anniversary right now.

The guy himself is a nobody, but he has a special status of being a western country embassy employee.

Again, pay attention to what the UK government say, that's the only statement that matters.

Why are you throwing up ridiculous hypothetical scenarios?

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
BBC has more info,

BBC China correspondent Robin Brant said the detention was short compared to many sentences in China and that Mr Cheng should be due for release in the next 48 hours.

He said China insisted the detention was not a diplomatic incident, but he said the Foreign Office had likely been working out of the public spotlight over the last 13 days to find out what had happened to Mr Cheng and secure his release.

According to local outlet HKFP, Mr Cheng is a trade and investment officer at the Scottish Development International section of the consulate.

It said on 8 August he travelled to a business event in Shenzhen in south-east China, which links Hong Kong to the mainland.

His girlfriend told HKFP that he planned to travel home the same day, but did not return. In online messages, he wrote that he was passing through the border, adding "pray for me".

Hong Kong police said they had inquired about Mr Cheng's whereabouts with the mainland authorities but "results are still pending".

Definitely sounds like he had protestor garb on his person.

TheWraith

Oct 28, 2017
There is an error in the first link of the OP, the detainee is a HK'er. Article makes it seem he is mainland Chinese.

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
Employee at Britain's Hong Kong mission detained in China over prostitution - report

BEIJING (Reuters) - An employee at the British consulate in Hong Kong has been detained in China for involvement in prostitution, China's state-backed Global Times newspaper said on Thursday.
China's foreign ministry confirmed on Wednesday that the employee, Simon Cheng, had been detained in the border city of Shenzhen. Britain has expressed its extreme concern about the case.
Shenzhen police declined to make any immediate comment.

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
People are stupid?

He's a nobody but he has special status.

Make up your mind.

Jie Li

Alt account
Banned
Dec 21, 2018
He's a nobody but he has special status.
Make up your mind.

He has a special status of being a British embassy employee, so China can parade him around and call his action foreign mingling of Chinese intarnal affair (even though he most likely did it himself). That was what I meant.

He is a nobody as in he is not actually a British spy and not a valuable asset of MI6. Clear?

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
He has a special status of being a British embassy employee, so China can parade him around and call his action foreign mingling of Chinese intarnal affair (even though he most likely did it himself). That was what I meant.

He is a nobody as in he is not actually a British spy and not a valuable asset of MI6. Clear?
How did you even come up with the conclusion that people think he's a spy for the British government.

Bonafide

Oct 11, 2018
One is aiming for (with current administration) another is full out fascist.

i dont disagree. just pointing out how weird of a suggestion to have the US "step in" to fight fascism in China as if we've got the solution when were struggling with an escalating problem over here.

I didn't feel it was needed to touch on the stupidity of your post. Obviously I disagree with it.

if you really disagreed it would be easier to say what your actual problem with that statement is

but i respect the troll so dont let me stop ya brother

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
i dont disagree. just pointing out how weird of a suggestion to have the US "step in" to fight fascism in China as if we've got the solution when were struggling with an escalating problem over here.

if you really disagreed it would be easier to say what your actual problem with that statement is

but i respect the troll so dont let me stop ya brother

The US is still a superpower and could use the same leverage China does against other nations.

I also believe it would be in the intrest of Trump Admin to do so since it would play straight into their hand as "Strong man trump".

Swauny Jones

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really hope the next US President flexes so hard on China. I want to see that fascist state cower beneath their bullshit.

If that happens the US will be in for a rude awakening. the US is already meddling enough in China and coaxing the flames in this Hong Kong situation. It's definitely not something that will pan out in their favor