• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Inflammatory Thread Creation; Irresponsibly Editorializing an Article to Spread Misinformation During a Pandemic
"They'll never fall for it."
"But what if we tell them it's a COVID test?"
"You think they're that gullible?"
"They're diplomats, not scientists."
"Let's give it a go!"

Yes, it's a real test, but they didn't have to use that specific one.

The Chinese government has promised to stop using anal swabs on American diplomats to test for COVID-19 after Washington complained that the practice was undignified, the U.S. State Department said.

"The State Department never agreed to this kind of testing and protested directly to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs when we learned that some staff were subject to it," a State Department spokesperson told VICE World News on Wednesday.

According to the commission's instructions, the anal samples are collected by inserting a cotton swab three to five centimeters (about one to two inches) into the rectum.

Reports about anal COVID-19 testing prompted a wave of panic on Chinese social media last month. A traveler from Australia to China who was given anal swabs in September told VICE World News it felt like having diarrhea.

www.vice.com

China Gave US Diplomats Anal COVID Tests ‘In Error,’ American Officials Say

The U.S. State Department says it is committed to preserving the “dignity” of American diplomats.

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
somehow I don't think this forum would be cheering it on if cops gave an unnecessary rectal exam to people

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I hope there's some self-reflection here that this is uncomfortable and undignified for everybody, and should be avoided for everybody if at all possible, including for non-covid purposes.

Because authorities don't seem to think anal probes are a big deal when it's the plebs, and that's wrong.

Oct 27, 2017
How exactly is tricking someone into a more invasive test "this rules". Lotta CCP sycophants on this site.
The way this thread is written is thrash.

This isn't 'tricking' people into a more invasive test, it's a valid test and a testing route which China is using for visitors/people in quarantine centers because they believe it to be more accurate in catching early exposure (link) and late stages of the disease due to reports from Chinese researchers. It is not just for US diplomats.

EDIT: To reiterate:
  • This thread is actively spreading misinformation.
  • Rectal swabs are a valid COVID testing path.
  • Rectal swabs are a measure the Chinese government have rolled out as one of many testing mechanisms, primarily for visitors and quarantine groups.
  • The roll-out follows early tests and studies into this method last year and follows positive results reported by Chinese researchers which the government have clearly taken as actionable.
  • Even had rectal swabs been invalid, unnecessary, or targeted solely to diplomats, which to reiterate is false, this thread's framing as that being 'trolling' is gross.

Last edited:

Nahbac

Nov 11, 2018
Sorry if i dont have sympathy for the cia backed state department of this rotten country.
Nothing justifies doing this to people. I see a poster said this is an actual method of testing that China uses, but I'm saying this because you see it as a good way to "punish" people. It isn't, full stop.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Anal swabs have been used in China for a while now I believe and are a valid but not very effective time way of testing for covid.

However the framing of it as trolling in this thread is I must say, gross and pathetic.

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
The way this thread is written is thrash.

This isn't 'tricking' people into a more invasive test, it's a valid test and a testing route which China is using for visitors/people in quarantine centers because they believe it to be more accurate in catching early exposure (link) and late stages of the disease due to reports from Chinese researchers. It is not just for US diplomats.
yeah, it's a real thing, and while I can't speak to the science of it, the reactions ITT that an anal test was totally rad and even moreso if it was unwarranted is gross as fuck

phazedplasma

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (5 Days): Inflammatory Commentary over a Series of Posts
Nothing justifies doing this to people. I see a poster said this is an actual method of testing that China uses, but I'm saying this because you see it as a good way to "punish" people. It isn't, full stop.
Cia agents aren't people, full stop.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Inflammatory Commentary; Multiple Prior Related Bans
somehow I don't think this forum would be cheering it on if cops gave an unnecessary rectal exam to people
There's a difference between cops violating a civilian and one group of killers doing so to another group of killers.

Last edited:

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
Scientists, explain why rectal swabs would be more effective for a respiratory disease?

Royce

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
As someone who considers sticking a swab so far up your nose disgusting, I think this is only slightly worse...

Sep 10, 2020
What the fuck is wrong with the people in this thread? What the fuck? Why the fuck are you laughing about anal assault?

Also the thread title needs to be changed, immediately.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
I hate the throat swab, so more Power to the anal swab.
Right, to be clear this is apparently a legitimate way to test for COVID and there's nothing wrong with that. It's the framing of this as a form of trolling or punishment, and then people cheering it on, that is really fucking gross. It's the kind of thing I'd expect to hear from the sort of people who cheer on prison rape, not Era.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
This discussion is closed due to the framing of it generating a high number of reports. We will also be reviewing the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.