• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
Beijing re-emphasises its rule in response to defeat for pro-government candidates

China's government has responded to a stunning landslide victory for pro-democracy candidates in the Hong Kong elections by emphasising that the city will always be ruled from Beijing, and warning against further protest violence.

The foreign minister, Wang Yi, warned against "attempts to disrupt Hong Kong", as a few hundred people took to the streets again in support of protesters holed up in a university that has been under siege by police for over a week.

"No matter how the situation in Hong Kong changes, it is very clear that Hong Kong is a part of Chinese territory," he told reporters on the sidelines of the G20 meeting in Tokyo. "Any attempts to disrupt Hong Kong or undermine its stability and prosperity will not succeed."

Yeah...

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
"a stunning landslide victory for pro-democracy candidates"

Only stunning when you start to believe your own propaganda.

TheJackdog

Oct 27, 2017
great idea, tell the people who just unanimously gave you the middle finger that they can fuck right off

thatll calm things down

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
but why, why do people have to be violent when the protest...

keep it up HK. Hopefully the future can learn from this.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm trying to see how this all ends positively, but I can't help but picture a future where China eventually sends in the military if this keeps up in Hong Kong. And the world will just watch as innocents are gunned down.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I don't quite understand the future timeline here.

So in 2047, Hong Kong is supposed to magically become communist China, end of "One country, two systems"? This sounds impossible, and quite possibly bloody.

Dec 2, 2017
If Jackie Chan, Jet Li, Bolo Yeung & Sammo got together as the Asian Expendables, I'd like to know exactly what Beijing thinks they could do to stop them. Keep pushing your luck, Xi.

darkhunger

Oct 28, 2017
USA

So in 2047, Hong Kong is supposed to magically become communist China, end of "One country, two systems"? This sounds impossible, and quite possibly bloody.
Like 90% of the current Chinese leadership is dead by then so they probably don't give a shit. All they care about is maintaining power today.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I do not foresee a future for HK that doesn't include a stunning and grotesque level of violence. All the while the Western world will wag its finger and do nothing more because China has us by the metaphorical testicles.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

I think the hope was that the CCP would be less evil by then, although it certainly seems like the CCP is driving toward more blatantly evil policies without worrying what others think at all. It's hard to see the government in China being less awful in 28 years than it is now with the trajectory it's on now.

Soph

Oct 25, 2017
The foreign minister, Wang Yi, warned against "attempts to disrupt Hong Kong", as a few hundred people took to the streets again in support of protesters holed up in a university that has been under siege by police for over a week.

"No matter how the situation in Hong Kong changes, it is very clear that Hong Kong is a part of Chinese territory," he told reporters on the sidelines of the G20 meeting in Tokyo. "Any attempts to disrupt Hong Kong or undermine its stability and prosperity will not succeed."

Hey Wang Yi, you're a quivering conniving dishonest worm. You brokered a deal to let them selfregulate for 50 years looking how things were under Chinese supervision. Keep your end of the deal and show the world how China is as great as you think it is and want it to be. When these 50 years are done Hong Kong can decide on their own whether or not they want the status quo to keep going or they fully integrate into China. Whatever they choose you have to respect that sovereignty.

Dec 2, 2017
I think the hope was that the CCP would be less evil by then, although it certainly seems like the CCP is driving toward more blatantly evil policies without worrying what others think at all. It's hard to see the government in China being less awful in 28 years than it is now with the trajectory it's on now.
There's a huge portion of the future Chinese middle and upper classes being trained in universities overseas. I think there is every reason to think that things will loosen up. Not everybody's cool with going back home and losing access to their social media and favourite movies and ideas.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Or because China has nukes and seriously intervention will mean nuclear war.
I'm gonna go ahead and say that China would not nuke the EU and US, for example, if they instilled severe sanctions. Intervention is not always military in nature. Military action in general would absolutely kickstart a war, regardless of nuclear proliferation.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Why would the EU sanction china on request of the US if we are in a trade war with the US?
I don't know where you got the idea that the EU would do it at the behest of the US.

If the EU is only going to impose sanctions because someone else told them to, and not because of crimes against humanity, I guess that tells me what I need to know about why it wouldn't happen in the first place.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know where you got the idea that the EU would do it at the behest of the US.

If the EU is only going to impose sanctions because someone else told them to, and not because of crimes against humanity, I guess that tells me what I need to know about why it wouldn't happen in the first place.
No offense to HK but starting a recession for HK and letting the fascists takeover europe is not gonna happen.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
No offense to HK but starting a recession for HK and letting the fascists takeover europe is not gonna happen.
Sure, I didn't think it was or would happen. Thus, us being grabbed by the metaphorical testicles. It's a complex issue to solve for that nobody seems to be working towards.

I'm hoping I'm wrong but as of now, China has been showing a shocking amount of restraint with regards to HK.

OP
OP
Sqrt

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder, how does the Chines media portrays the Hong Kong situation? Do they just don't talk about it or spin it as the dangers of democracy.

Tiger Priest

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
New York, NY
I'm gonna go ahead and say that China would not nuke the EU and US, for example, if they instilled severe sanctions. Intervention is not always military in nature. Military action in general would absolutely kickstart a war, regardless of nuclear proliferation.

Sanctions IS wagging your finger. It will do nothing to seriously deter China as sanctions have never once seriously impacted the actions of a nuclear superpower for the better. Not to say we shouldn't do it, but it won't change anything.

oledome

Oct 25, 2017
I had no idea about the temporary status, the 2047 re-education syllabus is going to be quite demanding

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
Bumping this thread since it didn't get as much attention as the more violent clashes last month. It is telling that the violence largely subsided after the overwhelming victory of pro democracy candidates at local district council elections.

It's unfortunate that peaceful marches might not get as much attention but 800,000 again marched in Hong Kong today. It's another stage in the struggle, even as the government refuses any concession

BBC said:
Thousands of pro-democracy demonstrators have again taken to the streets of Hong Kong.

It's the first time that police have allowed a rally by the Civil Human Rights Front, one of the territory's largest pro-democracy groups, since August.

The protests started in June over a controversial extradition bill, but evolved into broader anti-government demonstrations which have now gripped the territory for more than six months.

Guardian said:
"So long as there is no 'one man one vote', people cannot use civilised means of toppling an unqualified ruler," said a 49-year-old teacher who was marching with his two children. "I don't endorse violence, but I understand people's frustration because they have lost faith in the rule of law." [...]

Joseph Cheng, a retired political scientist at the City University of Hong Kong, said the return of peaceful protesters on the streets indicated that ordinary Hong Kongers remained critical of the government, despite the recent violent clashes that drew criticism of militants.

"People are saying the government is responsible for all this," he said.

_110051559_mediaitem110051558.jpg

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
As much respect as I have for Jackie as an actor and martial artist. His political stance sucks shit, he's very openly pro-Beijing.
Yup, I loved Jackie Chan movies and read his book, but in recent years as he's become more and more of an apologist for the CCP I've realized that he's just not a decent human being. He's also a womanizer and all around piece of shit, from what I've read, so there's that too.

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I'm trying to see how this all ends positively, but I can't help but picture a future where China eventually sends in the military if this keeps up in Hong Kong. And the world will just watch as innocents are gunned down.

This is where it's headed. It will be tianenmen (sp?) square but bigger. The west won't do shit. China's probably waiting for the trade deal with Trump to go ahead beforehand.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If we invaded HK? They sure would. This was inevitable in 97

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Why would the EU sanction china on request of the US if we are in a trade war with the US?
One, the EU isn't in a trade war with the US. Two, the EU shouldn't need the US to request it for them to grow a spine and finally take a stand against China.

a Question

Oct 28, 2017
Isn't Hong Kong status temporary anyway?
Yep,till 2040 or 50. Which is still quite a lot of time for radical changes to happen.

China 10-15 years ago was not this strong and as someone mentioned by then old people within goverment who have real control might died out.

Moreover now there is an estate bubble happening in China that goes off little by little which may change things drastically even in 2-3 years.

So Honk-Kong is not trying to prevent the inevitable but just win time for changes to happen.

Deleted member 60295

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 28, 2019
Yep,till 2040 or 50. Which is still quite a lot of time for radical changes to happen.

China 10-15 years ago was not this strong and as someone mentioned by then old people within goverment who have real control might died out.

Moreover now there is an estate bubble happening in China that goes off little by little which may change things drastically even in 2-3 years.

So Honk-Kong is not trying to prevent the inevitable but just win time for changes to happen.

God, I hope they succeed. I'm dreading the day when Xi marches his army into Hong Kong and takes it by force. I would give anything for this to never come to pass.