• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
China-based production company 'Beijing Enlight Pictures' is currently executing their plan of launching a cinematic universe (they are calling it the 'Feng Shen cinematic universe'), based on China mythological figures at the moment, and their effort is seemingly going well so far. Here's what has been transpiring so far:

Back in 2015, a bunch of production companies came together to release a CGI animated film 'Monkey King: Hero is Back', which became one of the most successful film in the China market. It was a simplified retelling of Journey to the West, featuring monkey king, a small monk jiang liu er (essentially the monk whom the monkey king is protecting in the main story) and pigsy.

0019b91ecaeb170dc48f31.jpg

And last year, Beijing Enlight Pictures announces the release of their CGI animated movie 'Ne Zha', one of the many characters whom Monkey King will encounter in the main 'Journey to the West' story (but not in the Hero is Back movie). As part of the promotions of the movie, one of the animation studios for 'Hero is Back' collaborated with Enlight Pictures to release the following crossover video featuring Ne Zha, as well as both Monkey King and Jiang Liu Er

image-asset.jpeg

And Ne Zha ended up surpassing Hero is Back, becoming a bigger success in many aspects. The ending of the movie has a couple of extra mid and post credit scenes, one teasing a sequel, and another teasing a new character 'jiang ziya', who will appear in the movie 'Legend of Deification'. Jiang Ziya is a fellow Taoist disciple of Ne Zha's teacher.

HO00001276.jpg

And the movie is releasing next week in coincidence with the lunar new year. In recent weeks there are a couple of crossover promotional materials featuring Monkey King, Ne Zha and Jiang Ziya.

And today, the studio released the following poster for lunar new year and to promote the movie, and it feature the characters from the 3 movies

e397-inhcyca5408675.jpg

The production studio has expressed interest in a crossover movie of monkey king and ne zha one day. Considering the various crossover materials, it shouldn't be hard to think that the production studios of Hero is Back will discuss a crossover movie with Enlight Pictures. Considering the success of both Hero is Back and Ne Zha, and the upcoming hype of the movie and the crossover potentials, it seems that this might be a successful shot from China in creating a cinematic universe of their own in the future.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
I haven't seen the Monkey King: Hero is Back movie yet, but I'm kinda interested in the PS4 game.

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
Chinese animation has been getting really good the past few years and it's really started to hit it's stride in the past 12 months or so. I'm all in on more of it.
If you haven't seen it before, this video on Chinese animation and it's history and growth is fascinating and worth watching.

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
I never watched Ne Zha because I quite disliked the trailers, but this new one looks interesting. I never got around to watch Monkey King either, it's been on my backlog but I didn't even know they were related.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I'm all for more great animation in the world. Just never forget that every piece of media that comes from China is likely laden with propaganda, as has been the norm there for many decades. (not saying you can't enjoy it, there are some great martial arts movies from the 70's-80's that are especially egregious that I've enjoyed) Just keep it all in context.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Makes me wonder if Raya will court the Chinese audience or will china by like "Nah Disney, we good, we have our own animated movies now".

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
I'm all for more great animation in the world. Just never forget that every piece of media that comes from China is likely laden with propaganda, as has been the norm there for many decades. (not saying you can't enjoy it, there are some great martial arts movies from the 70's-80's that are especially egregious that I've enjoyed) Just keep it all in context.

Not necessarily. Being able to get past the censors doesn't automatically make something propaganda. Art can still get through, even if sometimes there are obvious scenes in movies that are just inserted to satisfy SARFT.

And what great martial art movies are you talking about that came from mainland China in the 70s- 80s? Or do you mean Hong Kong and Taiwan?

Onix555

Apr 23, 2019
UK
Why does every article that talks about a Chinese companys product always say "Chinas X" or "China is building an X". Just use the companies name.

Like you dont see "Poland is making a new Witcher game" titles.

Personally I think its a Red Scare thing

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile

Don't worry, we are used to US propaganda movies and have fun while still seeing through, we can do it with China too

Why does every article that talks about a Chinese companys product always say "Chinas X" or "China is building an X". Just use the companies name.

It is

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chinese animation has been getting really good the past few years and it's really started to hit it's stride in the past 12 months or so. I'm all in on more of it.
If you haven't seen it before, this video on Chinese animation and it's history and growth is fascinating and worth watching.

That white Snake movie is looking really good.

sVSFmfV.jpg

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
Not necessarily. Being able to get past the censors doesn't automatically make something propaganda. Art can still get through, even if sometimes there are obvious scenes in movies that are just inserted to satisfy SARFT.

And what great martial art movies are you talking about that came from mainland China in the 70s- 80s? Or do you mean Hong Kong and Taiwan?
One I remember is a Jet Li film where he is from the mainland and fights a dude in a gray trenchcoat that has PTSD. at the end of the film The Hong Kong police salute Jet Li as he is in a car driving off (talking about how he is strong because he is from the mainland) and the Chinese flag appears on the screen with Jet Li looking off in the distance this sits for like 20 seconds.

But so many American films/entertainment are the same as the promote the military and police state. At least government films show wide spread incompetence. We need to be like the British and make movies about us losing.

Deleted member 15440

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
every piece of american media is laden with propaganda

also it's weird to title the thread "china is making X" when you wouldn't say "america is making X" when disney starts a franchise

Deleted member 15440

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Don't worry, we are used to US propaganda movies and have fun while still seeing through, we can do it with China too

It is
damn beaten on both points

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017

There was a similar thread for even Shang Chi, and that's a Disney production. lol

ccbfan

Oct 25, 2017
I want a Jin Yong cinematic universe. Some quality Wuxia, please.

Jin Yong books are too long for a movie format.

Plus the popular books gets adapted to a 30-40 episode series every few years. Just recently watched Condor Heroes 2018 and Heavenly Sword 2019 with the wife. (Yes they get adapted so frequently that people started to put the years suffix on them)

They do need to have them more cohesive though like what Hong Kong did in the 80s and 90s version where they used the same actors and style. The recent ones are all over the place.

Deleted member 4552

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They should only be allowed to realise in the EU if each movie specifically panders to one member state.

For example, Journey to the west would feature a 15 minute detour to Luxembourg where everyone was a native paying Luxembourgish tax and not dodging