• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Blablurn

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Foreigners crossing certain Chinese borders into the Xinjiang region, where authorities are conducting a massive campaign of surveillance and oppression against the local Muslim population, are being forced to install a piece of malware on their phones that gives all of their text messages as well as other pieces of data to the authorities, a collaboration by Motherboard, Süddeutsche Zeitung, the Guardian, the New York Times, and the German public broadcaster NDR has found.

The Android malware, which is installed by a border guard when they physically seize the phone, also scans the tourist or traveller's device for a specific set of files, according to multiple expert analyses of the software.

"[This app] provides yet another source of evidence showing how pervasive mass surveillance is being carried out in Xinjiang. We already know that Xinjiang residents—particularly Turkic Muslims—are subjected to round-the-clock and multidimensional surveillance in the region," Maya Wang, China senior researcher at Human Rights Watch, said.

More here: https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/...d-to-install-a-text-stealing-piece-of-malware

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So they take your phone and it just installs without any user input?

That's fucked up.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
wouldn't you be able to just swap sims once your in or do you report yourself when you get a new phone

Sykdom

Banned
Feb 12, 2019
California
BrightShockedCapeghostfrog-size_restricted.gif

Hard pass

Kenstar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Earth
wouldn't you be able to just swap sims once your in or do you report yourself when you get a new phone
swapping sims would only work if the gov was listening in remotely to traffic from your specific phone #
assuming they dont just look at ALL traffic period, yes swapping sims would work if you knew one specific one was known by them.

Installing the malware bypasses all that, an installed program can see all messages you're sending as opposed to the gov wiretapping a specific phone #/sim card

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
I guess I'm bringing a burner iPhone on my next China trip (maybe in 15 years).

I think they don't allow iPhones in. The article said they had a machine at the border looking for iPhones (probably using iBeacon) and you can't really sideload onto an iPhone in that sort of environment so confiscation would be the natural action to take.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
*installs malware*

*types first text *

China don't care.

*Chinese military intelligence officials detain me so they can all high five me in respect*

Fin

What If I take an Iphone?

Basically they are encourgaing people to buy Huawei burner phones when they visit. Pretty clever, China.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
So what's to stop you just doing a factory reset the second you walk out?

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm sure the US is just mad they didn't think of it first. Isn't the TSA searching international people's phones now also? Or did that not go into effect?

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
I'm reading about the Qin dynasty at the moment, a proto-fascist state. Modern China is like the logical evolution of that dynasty, thanks to technology.

Swauny Jones

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (2 weeks): Derailing with misinformation, previous serious infractions.
Let the China smear campaign continue. This is all fake news BS. Smh

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Interesting, I literally drove from China to Kyrgyzstan and back just a few months ago, and no one at the border even looked at my phone (and the guards there didn't exactly seemed like people who can install malware, though obviously I can't tell for sure).
I wonder if they're specifically targeting journalists or if this something that is specific to some of the border passes. For some reason some of the border crossing with the *stans are waaaaaaay more limited for travel and I never could really understand why.

I will say more broadly that I'm not even sure what they're really trying to do there, most people who come to Xinjiang don't do it by crossing the border from the west. You generally fly in, and they don't take your phone and install stuff on it in Chinese airports. And like, if you really wanted to avoid anything, you can just go to qinghai (or wherever) and just drive to XInjiang. It's not like they have security checks on province borders.

SxP

Oct 27, 2017
You can probably walk straight through if you have a Chinese phone.

Masseyme

Banned
May 23, 2019
Dead serious bro

Yes it's fake. I go to China at least twice a year and NEVER experience anything like this. This forum is ridiculous at times man...

Lol this doesn't mean anything. For one do you go to Xinjang? Secondly, its "random". Just because it hasn't happened to you doesn't mean it doesn't happen. I've never been searched by US Customs but see people get pulled to the back all the time.

What about your two times clearing immigrations a year makes you an expert?

Swauny Jones

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol this doesn't mean anything. For one do you go to Xinjang? Secondly, its "random". Just because it hasn't happened to you doesn't mean it doesn't happen. I've never been searched by US Customs but see people get pulled to the back all the time.

What about your two times clearing immigrations a year makes you an expert?

It means plenty. I know and do business with a ton of people who consistently travel through various regions there. Never have I heard of the BS this article is stating.