• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017

In its latest effort to increase pressure on Taiwan, Beijing said it will suspend a program that allowed individual tourists from 47 Chinese cities to travel to Taiwan, citing the current state of relations between the two sides.

The ban is effective from Aug. 1, according to a statement Wednesday from the Ministry of Culture and Tourism, and means that Chinese nationals can only travel to Taiwan as tourists if they're part of tour groups. The scheme had been in place since 2011 under the more China-friendly administration of former President Ma Ying-jeou.

The ministry's statement didn't provide any further details as to the reason for the ban. The unexpected move comes as China attempts to isolate Taiwan and Tsai Ing-wen, it's independence-leaning president. The move may also be aimed at hurting her re-election chances in January's presidential election.

Under Chinese President Xi Jinping, Beijing has increased diplomatic and military pressure on the Tsai administration in an effort to force her to accept Chinese claims to sovereignty over Taiwan.

Recent patrols by Chinese warships and warplanes around Taiwan were highlighted in a Chinese national defense white paper released last week as a "stern warning" to independence advocates, a reference to Tsai's Democratic Progressive Party.

Taiwan's Mainland Affairs Council condemned China's move in a statement Wednesday, saying cross-strait tourism is an important way of promoting better understanding between both sides. It called on Beijing to discuss the issue with Taipei.

"This is a shock to all of us. We are all very worried about it," Benny Wu, chairman of the Taipei Association of Travel Agents, said by phone. "This will have a huge impact on Taiwan's tourism and economy. Hotels, restaurants will all be affected."

Taiwan's Tourism Bureau said in a statement Wednesday it regretted Beijing's decision and hoped for a return to positive interaction with China.

Jadax

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They think this would make the average Taiwanese more supportive of joining them? Er.
Pretty sure they don't care what Taiwanese people think. Same as they don't care what Hong Kongers think. Most Mainlanders are anti-independence and support the 'govt' in their aggressive expansionist motives.

Hong Kong is basically screwed come 2047, but Taiwan still has a chance if EU/NA support them.

ConanEd

Alt account
Banned
Dec 27, 2018
It's actually to avoid potential accidents during TW's election season. They should throttle mainlander traveling to HK too, if they haven't done it already.

MrChocolate

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty sure they don't care what Taiwanese people think. Same as they don't care what Hong Kongers think. Most Mainlanders are anti-independence and support the 'govt' in their aggressive expansionist motives.

Hong Kong is basically screwed come 2047, but Taiwan still has a chance if EU/NA support them.

Why is that? Sorry for my ignorance.

Oct 25, 2017
They should start pushing more outside tourism. Unlike China, they can probably produce a fair amount of soft-power because they aren't handcuffed by thought police.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
No, please don't prevent the mainlanders from coming here. Anything but that. (I feel for the families though.) More seriously this will be a sizable blow to Taiwan's tourist economy, but not a big one for the broader manufacturing and business relationships between Taiwan and China. And it should help Tsai and the DPP defeat Han in 2020 so that's always good.

Taiwan is small but they have a powerful army no?

Not exactly. They have a strong enough military comprised of US-bought weapons and vehicles that they could use to hold out until the US and any allied forces showed up, but the real defense is that it's a bitch to land on the island and would cause far more losses on the Chinese side than it would on the Taiwanese side. And psychologically it's a lose-lose proposition for China to fire its missiles at Taiwan as it would incur heavy retaliation from within and outside China.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Who would retaliate? Would the US be ready to go to war with China over Taiwan?

Probably. Not for Taiwan specifically but for protecting hegemony in the East Asian gate to the Pacific. If Taiwan goes it becomes a much more difficult prospect to protect Japan, South Korea, and American interests in Southeast Asia.

But this is all moot because a hot war between China and Taiwan is very unlikely. Much more likely they try to starve Taiwan economically before that ever becomes an option.

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure what the CCP is trying to do aside from shore up home support, really.

The thing is, with Hong Kong, Xi is getting rather impatient. He doesn't want to wait nearly thirty years just to fully force Kong Kong under CCP rule, hence the more subtle attempts to do so, but the protests are so public that it's not working.

I mean, for pete's sake, the PLA is mobilizing on Hong Kong's border, he's seriously considering sending them in there and just flagrantly breaking the handover agreement (the CCP already argues that the agreement isn't valid anymore). Except the people of Hong Kong won't stand for it, and there's a very good chance it'll end up being Tienanmen Square 2.0, which would be disastrous for China's international reputation.

Who would retaliate? Would the US be ready to go to war with China over Taiwan?
Most likely they wouldn't and China knows this.
It's a toss-up. I'm fairly sure the US has an informal agreement with Taiwan to protect it in case of attack, and even then there's quite a few advantages to having Taiwan where it is for the west that the US would rather not lose. Also, it'd be politically popular for the US govt to defend Taiwan's democracy from undemocratic invaders.

derder

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Wow sounds like I should sign up for a Taiwanese vacation, right? One if the few times I'll be able to visit without overtourism

7aged

Oct 28, 2017
So will this sabre rattling help the pan blues or backfire on them?
I do find it ironic how KMT and the PRC are on the same side

They should start pushing more outside tourism. Unlike China, they can probably produce a fair amount of soft-power because they aren't handcuffed by thought police.

I would like to visit Taiwan, they don't market themselves very well for tourism though.

teacup

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Wow sounds like I should sign up for a Taiwanese vacation, right? One if the few times I'll be able to visit without overtourism

This is kinda gross. Families and normal people with jobs related to tourism will be suffering a lot due to this ban.

Oct 25, 2017
This is what China's rise to power looks like. Expansionism and ethnic cleansing, the rest of the world needs to push back economically and diplomatically (and I don't mean a dumbass trade war). If China gets no resistance to these actions then their military will follow.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands

I'm not very knowledgeable about Taiwan, but when I last was there the people I spoke were apprehensive about "wannabe emperor Xi". They have presidential elections coming up and it seems to me that China just solidified 4 more years of the current "anti-China" president.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
This is in reaction to HK, very clearly. Taiwan has been very supportive of HK's push against Chinese extradition, and that potential alliance is scary to China.

I've only been to Taiwan once on business, and it was incredible. The food in Taiwan is AMAZING, holy shit. What a great country, with really friendly people, too.

The only thing I never got past was being unable to get a cold glass of water in a restaurant.