• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't worry about it. America is developing laser weapons as we speak.

Lets see these super soldiers dodge the speed of light!

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Spider-Man-meme.jpeg
Yup. USA has a very short memory when it comes to all the stuff they've used on their troops.

mangopositive

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I'm all for genetic experimentation. If we don't play god, who will? That said, I think "soldiers" are rapidly becoming the least valuable asset in waging war.

Brie de Meaux

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
"Biologically enhanced" can mean anything from giving them carrots for better eyesight to Captain America serum.

BebopCola

Jul 17, 2019
*prays at the altar of the Machine God*
Please be Universal Soldiers, please be Universal Soldiers

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Going by the article, it sounds like it's actually talking about generic modification rather than pumping drugs into people. I could see this being something that actually becomes increasingly mainstream in the future, and not just for military use.

Last year, two American scholars wrote a paper examining China's ambitions to apply biotechnology to the battlefield, including what they said were signs that China was interested in using gene-editing technology to enhance human — and perhaps soldier — performance.

Specifically, the scholars explored Chinese research using the gene-editing tool CRISPR, short for "clusters of regularly interspaced short palindromic repeats." CRISPR has been used to treat genetic diseases and modify plants, but Western scientists consider it unethical to seek to manipulate genes to boost the performance of healthy people.

"While the potential leveraging of CRISPR to increase human capabilities on the future battlefield remains only a hypothetical possibility at the present, there are indications that Chinese military researchers are starting to explore its potential," wrote the scholars, Elsa Kania, an expert on Chinese defense technology at the Center for a New American Security, and Wilson VornDick, a consultant on China matters and former Navy officer.

"Chinese military scientists and strategists have consistently emphasized that biotechnology could become a 'new strategic commanding heights of the future Revolution in Military Affairs,'" the scholars wrote, quoting a 2015 article in a military newspaper.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see the point of pursuing super soldiers (like are they bullet proof?) over say... Drones, long distance and machine warfare. Orbital lasers and so on so forth

I don't think a super soldier is gonna eat a bullet better than a normal one

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
This just sounds like more anti-China fearmongering bullshit. This guy really went out of his way to smear Chinese people as much as he could in those few lines, too.

Yeah, sounds like fear-mongering designed to appeal to the lowest common denominator. People who believe this to be a legitimate threat will probably also support funding military to stop these terminatorchinaoctoberskybaddies.

It's quite possible, Crispr has made genetic engineering of humans pretty straightforward.

Edit the gene that causes myopia
Edit the Gene that contributes towards heart attacks
Edit the gene that increases blood flow

etc.

Having an apparently, physically fit human free of "defects" is quite possible when they understand the genome well enough.

A Chinese scientists engineered 2 babies using these methods which made the children (and their future offspring )immune to HIV, then got sent to prison to human experimentation.

This is way more likely. I remember hearing that dude went to jail; was pretty surprised TBH. I guess the idea is that you can't break your country's laws on human experimentation... ends don't justify the means, I suppose.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it's a trump minion. He would say crazy shit.

But it wouldn't surprise me if true. The Nazis, the Soviet Union, and the US have all tried to create "super soldiers" at one point or another.

TorianElecdra

Feb 25, 2020
Lmao the west's press is pure shit when it comes to reporting on the East. And people actually buying into this stuff.

Oct 26, 2017
I don't doubt the possibility, but why release this sort of information to the public in this manner? Don't necessarily trust the Trump Admin on anything China after they claimed Covid was manufactured by them without a shred of evidence.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
A phrase I've been getting a lot of mileage out of since like, 2010:

I have serious ethical concerns, but also this is rad.

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
Our operators are already enhanced by HGH and the anger of knowing their wife is sleeping with some guy they met working part time at Dollar General, so China had better have pretty good shit if want to compete.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Lmao the west's press is pure shit when it comes to reporting on the East. And people actually buying into this stuff.

TBF, there's probably also reporting in China about how "AMERICA HAS DONE HUMAN TESTING TO CREATE SUPER SOLDIERS" every once in awhile, lol. Propaganda journalism is so common these days. You'll always have a portion of the population this kind of messaging works on.

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
"There are no ethical boundaries to Beijing's pursuit of power," wrote Ratcliffe, a Republican former member of Congress from Texas.

Yeah well Americans can't really talk, their history is no better.

TorianElecdra

Feb 25, 2020
TBF, there's probably also reporting in China about how "AMERICA HAS DONE HUMAN TESTING TO CREATE SUPER SOLDIERS" every once in awhile, lol. Propaganda journalism is so common these days. You'll always have a portion of the population this kind of messaging works on.

Yeah of course, and so does North Korea for instance. But it's like we are supposed to do better over here and then you have shit articles like this one.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Every superpower has probably done this to a certain extend since WW2, back then soldiers were simply on drugs. Doesn't mean we're about to see soldiers running like Usain Bolt while carrying full gear or something ridiculous like that.

Rayne

Oct 25, 2017
Is this supposed to surprise people? I'd be more shocked if every country that could wasn't doing this. Fuck off trying to justify feeding more money to the over-bloated military though.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
Us has already done this and way before think but it's conspiracy talk here. From what I know we did similar things around WW2 and it backfired on the CIA, can't have super soldiers getting their own ideas.

This wont end well for any government that tries either. Lets create monsters and hope they stay in line, god we are stupid species.

The only argument about this is refinement not that it can't be done.

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't sound far-fetched to me at all, even if it's coming from a fool like Ratcliffe. Modern day Chinese government really has no qualms about ethics.

Haven't there been tons of unethical experiements in the news previously? I wonder if the US is doing something similar but it's like to think that times are somewhat different than in the past with respect to states sanctioned human experiements on its own citizens.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
Knowing China's history, it wouldn't surprise me, but coming from Ratcliffe, I don't trust a word he says.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I want an IV drip with soy feminization serum in one arm and an IV drip with communist super soldier serum in the other arm.

Deleted member 26398

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
You know how people believe any crazy shit you say about north korea, I think we will reach the same level with China as it's going to be painted like this very powerful very different and strange baddie which needs ridiculous amount of military funding to be stopped.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Building up propaganda for the next war still. This won't stop when Biden comes in either.

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
I believe it, as soon as CRISPA became a thing they were probably doing it. I don't expect it to amount to much though, except maybe more Olympic wins, and a more obedient population. AI are where the superior war machines are.

Onix555

Apr 23, 2019
UK
The original source for this is some tabloid BS.
Why do people keep biting into this low level racial bait

Zaphod

Aug 21, 2019
If Ratcliffe told me sky was blue, I'd have to go outside to verify the color.

nekomix

Oct 30, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if it's true. Eugenism and genetically-enhanced people is in the boxes since the Nazis, I think every country with enough means is working on it, the US first.