• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
apnews.com

China cuts Uighur births with IUDs, abortion, sterilization

The Chinese government is taking draconian measures to slash birth rates among Uighurs and other minorities as part of a sweeping campaign to curb its Muslim population, even as it encourages some of the country’s Han majority to have more children.

The Chinese government is taking draconian measures to slash birth rates among Uighurs and other minorities as part of a sweeping campaign to curb its Muslim population, even as it encourages some of the country's Han majority to have more children.

While individual women have spoken out before about forced birth control, the practice is far more widespread and systematic than previously known, according to an AP investigation based on government statistics, state documents and interviews with 30 ex-detainees, family members and a former detention camp instructor. The campaign over the past four years in the far west region of Xinjiang is leading to what some experts are calling a form of "demographic genocide."

Continued genocide against Uighurs. Concentration camps and now forced birth control.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Im not even sure what to say about this situation anymore. Everything you hear almost defies belief but you feel helpless to do anything. Not sure why but this issue continues to fall on deaf ears worldwide and even if it became a bigger issue what would anyone do?

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So, genocide, just not the nazi camp style, grave of bodies style. Never again.

OP
OP
Euler

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
So, genocide, just not the nazi camp style, grave of bodies style. Never again.
Pretty much. I wonder how history will describe this. The world is just letting another large-scale genocide happen again. There are around 10 million Uighurs in China which gives it the potential to be close to the numbers of the holocaust.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Im not even sure what to say about this situation anymore. Everything you hear almost defies belief but you feel helpless to do anything. Not sure why but this issue continues to fall on deaf ears worldwide and even if it became a bigger issue what would anyone do?
Let's be honest, we aren't even stopping the ones that we have convicted, like the Darfur one.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
Rape.
Torture.
Organ harvesting.
Murder.
and now population suppression.

Also a reminder that Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft uses Uighur slaves in their manufacturing chain and not a single journalist (outside of the ones who exposed it in the first place) batted an eye.

ZiZ

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck china, fuck every country that hasn't at least called them out on that shit (that's all of tgem I guess?), fuck this uncivilized law of the jungle ass world. And fuck me if I ever buy something that supports china if I can possibly avoid it.

Rape.
Torture.
Organ harvesting.
Murder.

Also a reminder that Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft uses Uighur slaves in their manufacturing chain and not a single journalist (outside of the ones who exposed it in the first place) batted an eye.

I can live without consoles, but what about cellphones? Are there any cellphones that aren't made in China?

Oct 27, 2017
I was reading this earlier... just when you think the CCP have hit the limit of how wicked you can be, they find some new evil to inflict on these people.

Absolute Nazi behaviour and it's disgusting that world nations won't collaboratively do anything about it.

R0987

Avenger
Jan 20, 2018
Last edited:

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
Fuck china, fuck every country that hasn't at least called them out on that shit (that's all of tgem I guess?), fuck this uncivilized law of the jungle ass world. And fuck me if I ever buy something that supports china if I can possibly avoid it.

I can live without consoles, but what about cellphones? Are there any cellphones that aren't made in China?

Samsung and LG make a few, but I don't know if they are 100% free from China.

I would just buy used.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
The Chinese government's complete lack of humanity combined with their massive economic, social and technological power is terrifying. The CCP will probably admit to this in a few months and call it something like "Family Planning with Chinese Characteristics" - although some of the stuff that happened under the One Child policy which affected everyone regardless of ethnicity sounded pretty horrific as well.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't even knos what more to say. Fucking China...

Just how long will this shit be going for until the world wakes up and starts talking about it?

Then again, Israel used the same "solution" to prevent black jews from reproducing and nobody said anything so this won't be the last straw.

I really feel for the Uighur and all the people being oppressed by the Chinese government and their supporters. I know how they must feel and it hurts.

elty

Oct 31, 2017
The Chinese government's complete lack of humanity combined with their massive economic, social and technological power is terrifying. The CCP will probably admit to this in a few months and call it something like "Family Planning with Chinese Characteristics" - although some of the stuff that happened under the One Child policy which affected everyone regardless of ethnicity sounded pretty horrific as well.

Have they even officially abandon the One Child Policy? I think just a few years ago if you have more than one child (regardless of your ethnicity), you have to pay a hefty fee or your child will not have an "account" which gives you free education and some welfare.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Have they even officially abandon the One Child Policy? I think just a few years ago if you have more than one child (regardless of your ethnicity), you have to pay a hefty fee or your child will not have an "account" which gives you free education and some welfare.

I think the policy is now up to two kids.

The Masked Mufti

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Rape.
Torture.
Organ harvesting.
Murder.

Learn to separate the art from the artists. Or whatever some of the wanks like to say when it comes to this shit (that's certainly what they said re the HP game and JK).

On a more serious note, I'm glad this popped up. I was just talking about buying a next gen console, and fuck that. Not until they stop using slaves.

Edit: also fuck all these pussyio countries that happily destabilised the Middle East under bullshit pretences of freedom and democracy yet stay silent regarding China.

trembli0s

Oct 28, 2017
Meanwhile, corporations applaud themselves for boycotting social media. We truly live in the most fucked up timeline.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
I think the policy is now up to two kids.

Yes they increased the limit to two. And it fucks over everyone. The difference being is that when a Han citizen does it the government sends their kids a fine when they become adults and if they can't pay it lose their citizenship. Uigher parents just get merced with the fine within months of their extra kids being born.

But what they are doing to the Uigher's with forced sterilization is a whole new level beyond how they selectively enforce the updated two child policy.

This government fucking sucks.

andymoogle

Oct 27, 2017
Capitalism depends on slavery.
Yup. Without slavery we would see much higher prices for everything, as no company would accept lower profits. Meaning lower sales, leading to lower profits anyway. Yeah, try to get the big companies to accept that.

Besides, very few people in the Western world care that slavery is what is building our products. There is a Fairphone available, but I doubt it is selling much due to worse hardware for a higher price compared to the competition.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
Capitalism depends on slavery.

tenor.gif

Deleted member 60295

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 28, 2019
Learn to separate the art from the artists. Or whatever some of the wanks like to say when it comes to this shit (that's certainly what they said re the HP game and JK).

On a more serious note, I'm glad this popped up. I was just talking about buying a next gen console, and fuck that. Not until they stop using slaves.

Edit: also fuck all these pussyio countries that happily destabilised the Middle East under bullshit pretences of freedom and democracy yet stay silent regarding China.

Legitimate question: does this mean you're not gonna actually buy a new iphone, either?

Wait... Google rereleased an old update?

On a serious note though, I was holding off on the SE as a secondary work device but with this, I feel like it's a good time to jump back into the Apple ecosystem. Especially now that I can switch default apps.

As for the whole "X copied Y" crap, I love that these two OS's are almost differentiated only by design languages. I really hope it brings a new arms race between them in innovation. I think we're due one.

I'm being dead serious here. if you wanna actually stop supporting slave labor, the biggest way you can do that is by forgoing ALL brand new electronics. Because in case people forgot, pretty much all the big name tech companies are equally guilty of using slaves to manufacture their products:

https://www.business-humanrights.or...s-across-provinces-includes-company-responses

Last edited:

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What will it take for the western governments to stop sucking up to Pooh and his bunch of oppressors.

No appeasement anymore, just sanction the shit out of China.
Yes, it will hurt the economy but you can't clap yourself on the shoulder for beating the Nazis (after years of appeasement) and then let this happen right in front of you. Heck, your companies are even profiting from the slave laborers.

The Masked Mufti

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Legitimate question: does this mean you're not gonna actually buy a new iphone, either?

I'm being dead serious here. if you wanna actually stop supporting slave labor, the biggest way you can do that is by forgoing ALL brand new electronics. Because in case people forgot, pretty much all the big name tech companies are equally guilty of using slaves to manufacture their products:

https://www.business-humanrights.or...s-across-provinces-includes-company-responses
Yeah, I get that. It's damn near impossible to do an actual boycott in this situation. Honestly, this one hits close to home and I'm just trying to find some way to do my part. While my comment was written mostly in a moment of anger, I am making cutbacks where I can re this situation (which I understand is a privileged stance). As for a more realistic approach, is there anything that can be done other than contacting my local Member of Parliament? Seriously looking for suggestions on the best way to help the current situation.

Chairman Yang

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So what is the CCP justification for this?
I think basically that these measures apply to everyone in China, even the Han majority, and that by closing the exception for ethnic minorities like the Uighurs, they're actually being more fair. (Ignoring the fact that, whatever the rules on paper, in practice the hammer comes down on Uighurs more harshly.)

Deleted member 60295

Banned
Sep 28, 2019
Yeah, I get that. It's damn near impossible to do an actual boycott in this situation. Honestly, this one hits close to home and I'm just trying to find some way to do my part. While my comment was written mostly in a moment of anger, I am making cutbacks where I can re this situation (which I understand is a privileged stance). As for a more realistic approach, is there anything that can be done other than contacting my local Member of Parliament? Seriously looking for suggestions on the best way to help the current situation.

Understandable. That's why I tried to make it clear that this wasn't a personal attack. There is no ethical consumption under capitalism, so ultimately, individual boycotts of products accomplish nothing on a larger scale. That's why I personally don't try to police people over this shit. I commend and encourage people that are working to make cutbacks on consumption across the board, and I am more than fine with people boycotting whatever the hell they want..... but from my perspective, it's hard for me to call anyone out for NOT doing either of these things. I would feel hypocritical if I did.

That being said.... you are looking in the right direction. Because collective political action is the only way we will be able to make a real difference. I can't really advise you on that, though, since I live in the USA, so I'll leave that to other members here who live in your country.

Chairman Yang

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What will it take for the western governments to stop sucking up to Pooh and his bunch of oppressors.

No appeasement anymore, just sanction the shit out of China.
Yes, it will hurt the economy but you can't clap yourself on the shoulder for beating the Nazis (after years of appeasement) and then let this happen right in front of you. Heck, your companies are even profiting from the slave laborers.
This is already happening and there will likely continue to be a shift away from China. Doubt it'll make a difference.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Nothing will happen, I mean maybe economically, but doesn't China own a shit ton of industries through out the World? I know they have their fingers in everything.

Militarly, Who can even counter them in the Pacific? The US is not a reliable actor, No one wants Japan to stand tall against China.

The Masked Mufti

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Understandable. That's why I tried to make it clear that this wasn't a personal attack. There is no ethical consumption under capitalism, so ultimately, individual boycotts of products accomplish nothing on a larger scale. That's why I personally don't try to police people over this shit. I commend and encourage people that are working to make cutbacks on consumption across the board, and I am more than fine with people boycotting whatever the hell they want..... but from my perspective, it's hard for me to call anyone out for NOT doing either of these things. I would feel hypocritical if I did.

That being said.... you are looking in the right direction. Because collective political action is the only way we will be able to make a real difference. I can't really advise you on that, though, since I live in the USA, so I'll leave that to other members here who live in your country.
I'm in the same boat as you re that feeling of hypocrasy. I love my tech and feel like a hypocrite when I selectively choose what not to buy based on scummy business practices. It is what it is, I guess.

I live in a small town and I know that there's enough people here interested in the current Uighur situation to pressure at least our MP (which I think would be the equivalent of you guys contacting your congressman). Here's to hoping that has some impact.

Also, I appreciate that your comment wasn't in any way a personal attack, whereas I think I've been a bit heavy handed with my approach.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
I'm in the same boat as you re that feeling of hypocrasy. I love my tech and feel like a hypocrite when I selectively choose what not to buy based on scummy business practices. It is what it is, I guess.

I live in a small town and I know that there's enough people here interested in the current Uighur situation to pressure at least our MP (which I think would be the equivalent of you guys contacting your congressman). Here's to hoping that has some impact.

Also, I appreciate that your comment wasn't in any way a personal attack, whereas I think I've been a bit heavy handed with my approach.
I would consider buying stuff used, such as consoles and cellphones.

It isn't much, but it's the only other alternative I can think of outside of an outright boycott.

Deleted member 60295

Banned
Sep 28, 2019

Don't be too hard on yourself. Because there ARE people who will not merely just defend their personal purchases, but also shit on anyone who publicly declares that they can't in good conscience continue supporting a company or product.... ESPECIALLY if it's one of their favorite companies or products that's being boycotted. You sound very reasonable, so I can only assume that your rage is justified, even if it perhaps could have been worded better.

mintylurb

Oct 25, 2017
Letting China into the WTO and hoping they'll become more open sure worked out well.
This along with China's territorial disputes with numerous countries just shows they feel like they can get away with anything.