• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
China Farming authority have announced a premiliary document allowing the selling, eating and making product out of 31 animal(Traditional and Exotic)

According to Central news Agency(Taiwan news) In order to stop the spread of new disease, CCP has ordered the stop of hunting exotic wilflife, Shenzhen(First city to ban dog and cat eating) want to nationalize the ban on eating cat and dog, but a dog meat company in Jiangsu disagree, saying it is a cultural pride, and shouldn't be banned.

The Central Farming Authority have published a premilary list asking for opinion, with the last day to submit idea on 05/08, that include 31 Animal.

Traditional animal 18 - Pig, 5 kind of cow, Sheep and goat, Horse, donkey, camel, rabbit, duck, geese, chicken, turkey, dove quial.

Exotic have 13, sika deer, Elk/Moose, Reindeer, Alpaca, Guinea fowl , pheasant, mallard , ostrich, water mink, silver fox, blue fox and finally Raccoon dog/Tanuki/Tom Nook

Central Farming Authority have deemed that Dogs are companion now, and not to be eaten

tw.news.yahoo.com

大陸公布可吃畜禽名單 狗屬伴侶要禁食

中國大陸農業農村部公布「國家畜禽遺傳資原始目錄(徵求意見稿)」,共有31種傳統與特種畜禽列入可食用等商業用途;其中「狗」已「特化」為伴侶動物,屬不可食畜禽。中央社報導,新冠肺炎爆發後,中國大陸為防止疫情擴散,下令禁止捕食野味,深圳有意將相關立法擴及到禁食狗肉。不過,卻有江蘇的狗肉製品公司宣稱,食用狗肉是「文化自信」,禁食是否定中國傳統。據農業農村部官網,「目錄」徵求意見為期一個月,[...]

Last edited:

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
I'm guessing this doesn't cover water based animals? Because there are no fishes / frogs / snails etc.

Look sunbears are off the list.

Not going to be of much help when people forget and the wild-life trade goes underground again.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SilentPanda

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth

v2-9f4b49f184259a202a9d5702c8b12ec1_720w.jpg

So does japan(In the past, not as common now, same with most of the exotic meat)
ahpTu.jpg

Yeah, it's a hell of a thing to be proud for.
Proper translation is "having confidence in our culture". Part of Xi's Confidence doctrine.

It may sound like a ridiculous argument, but this isn't the first time attempts or suggestions to ban dog meat have been suggested in China. "Cultural invasion" and "rights violation" is thrown around a lot.

P.S. Due to being blamed for the coronavirus outbreak + the unpopular CCP's Permanent Residency for Foreigner draft (where all of the incels have surfaced with racist, xenophobic arguments), the cultural invasion/foreign influence argument is flying about everywhere.

MajorBritten

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
That's certainly a step in the right direction, I just hope it's enforced. Another big problem is people wanting to eat animals alive that have not been cleaned or cooked, ive already seen videos of frog sashimi with one half of the frog trying to climb off the fucking plate and another of a restaurant serving live baby mice

DiK4

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Why the fuck is horse and Donkey on there? What the FUCK

Exotic list is fucking bananas. A REINDEER. REALLY?

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Why the fuck is horse and Donkey on there? What the FUCK

Exotic list is fucking bananas. A REINDEER. REALLY?

Scandinavic countries eat Reindeer. Pretty sure Alaska too. Horse and Donkey meat is eaten fairly frequently in Europe. Neither of those are even really exotic.

ISOM

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
User Banned (3 Months): Xenophobia
Proper translation is "having confidence in our culture". Part of Xi's Confidence doctrine.

It may sound like a ridiculous argument, but this isn't the first time attempts or suggestions to ban dog meat have been suggested in China. "Cultural invasion" and "rights violation" is thrown around a lot.

P.S. Due to being blamed for the coronavirus outbreak + the unpopular CCP's Permanent Residency for Foreigner draft (where all of the incels have surfaced with racist, xenophobic arguments), the cultural invasion/foreign influence argument is flying about everywhere.

I find these Chinese nationalist complaining about potentially new immigrants funny considering how many China towns there are around the world. The hypocrisy makes me chuckle.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
A step in the right direction. Yeah some might go underground but at least this is official now and will gradually force some habits to go the way of the dodo. Too bad the dodo is now extinct now though, because those things will likely be on the menu as well.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Finally hope for the pangolin? And all it took was unleashing a plague upon all mankind...

I generally find eating carnivores questionable, both from a parasite risk standpoint and an energy efficiency one, it's already plenty inefficient to feed plants to a herbivore and eat the herbivore vs just eating the plants but adding even more steps by feeding the herbivores to carnivores just makes it ridiculous.

I find these Chinese nationalist complaining about potentially new immigrants funny considering how many China towns there are around the world. The hypocrisy makes me chuckle.

The ultra-nationalists don't care about the people who have "fled" the country. In fact one of the arguments against the draft was that it is just a ploy by the rich and powerful to bring their foreign born children/foreign laundered money back into the country.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017

I mean not that this is a good comparison, but how is it that different to British nationalist (and a couple of European ones as well) complaining about immigrants when their colonialism fucked up half the world.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
I think I would eat my own arm off before I would eat a dog.

They're big slobbering tail wagging babies that love unconditionally.

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think I would eat my own arm off before I would eat a dog.

They're big slobbering tail wagging babies that love unconditionally.
i was offered some dog in the philippines. thought it would have been rude to decline (the first time they actually didn't tell me it was dog meat and then laughed and said i ate lassie).

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Not sure what the point of banning dog meat but allowing fox meat is, other than PR. Surely domesticated animals are more easy to control, though I guess the potential for a pandemic zoonotic virus also greater?

DiK4

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Must be nice to be so sheltered.
Horses and Donkeys are my friends. I don't eat my friends. They are necessary for travel, you wouldn't eat your car would you?
Scandinavic countries eat Reindeer. Pretty sure Alaska too. Horse and Donkey meat is eaten fairly frequently in Europe. Neither of those are even really exotic.
Eating a reindeer is like consuming millions of children's dreams while blood is gushing out of your mouth.

I shall rethink ever going to Europe.
Lol horse meat is sometimes used in place of beef in such far off lands as UK and US.

If people are tainting my beef with Horse....

No just no.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
Eating horse is not uncommon around the world. And as far as I know, reindeer meat has its fans in pretty much any arctic country.
Are you vegetarian?

I am too, and prior to getting pets I was not aware of what kind meats are sold in my country. (Germany.)

Usually its a seasonal thing, but there are many varieties: Chicken, beef, rabbit, turkey, duck, lamb, salmon being standard.

Hering, tunafish, red fish, ... prawn, goat, pheasant meat and game (usually deer meat) more exotic, kangaroo and reindeer seasonal. Horse is less accepted among human consumption but still present! And of course very common for pets.

Especially the exotic ones are fed to pets because dogs and cats developed allergies to more cheap and common meats.

We can look down at others for eating different animals than us, but to be honest as a vegetarian my problem does not lie with the consumption, but rather in the way these animals are held and raised.

tekomandor

Oct 27, 2017
I mean not that this is a good comparison, but how is it that different to British nationalist (and a couple of European ones as well) complaining about immigrants when their colonialism fucked up half the world.
There aren't still British troops in India, I suppose. Boris Johnson only dreams about the return of the Empire.

Untzillatx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Basque Country
My honest opinion is that eating human companions like dogs or cats is vile, and that's before the outbreak.

But they are not eating their companions, unless you believe they eat their pets. They mostly eat dogs that have been raised separately and expressly to be eaten, just like the rest of the world does with cattle and some species of birds like chickens and ducks.

By the way, pigs make good pets. Most people still eat them though.

Ctrl Alt Del

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Pretty bizarre list but I'm not familiar with all the kinds of meat actually being eaten in a country like China. However, it's cool they're addressing this matter and helping the people understand what's actually hazardous to eat.

Irishmantis

Jan 5, 2019
I know it's hypocritical to be against eating dogs but yet still eat Pigs and Cows

But just can't help it, love fluffy the fuck alone!